Can I do this? (iOS)

its_miller_time

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
All,

First post here in iMore - just moved from years of android to iOS. Got me a nice 32G 5S on AT&T and am loving every minute of it. iOS is very smooth and nice and I really enjoy.

In adjusting to iOS from Android, there is one feature I miss, that I am not sure how to deal with, rectify, or even if there is any other options. So, with Android, when I was in the photo gallery, I could hit the "Share" button, and a list of all apps I could share the photo with would pop up. My options in iOS are the mail app (which I don't use), facebook, twitter or flickr. Can I fix this or this just one of the "closed OS" limitations with iOS?

This is probably the one feature I miss that is driving me bananas. I'd use the default mail app for GMail, but, without Push support anymore, I just can't do it.

Any ideas?

serglb

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
All,

First post here in iMore - just moved from years of android to iOS. Got me a nice 32G 5S on AT&T and am loving every minute of it. iOS is very smooth and nice and I really enjoy.

In adjusting to iOS from Android, there is one feature I miss, that I am not sure how to deal with, rectify, or even if there is any other options. So, with Android, when I was in the photo gallery, I could hit the "Share" button, and a list of all apps I could share the photo with would pop up. My options in iOS are the mail app (which I don't use), facebook, twitter or flickr. Can I fix this or this just one of the "closed OS" limitations with iOS?

This is probably the one feature I miss that is driving me bananas. I'd use the default mail app for GMail, but, without Push support anymore, I just can't do it.

Any ideas?

It's a limitation. If you're in certain apps Instagram and MAYBE some others will show up, but yes. It is limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Since you didn't list it initially...app or online service are you trying to share to exactly that isn't there (that is present on Android based devices)?

abazigal

May 9, 2013
Visit site
One interesting thing I noticed - iPhoto lets me share photos to whatsapp. But otherwise, Apple's core app support for 3rd party apps is not very good, possibly to help maintain support and interest in their core apps and services.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
One interesting thing I noticed - iPhoto lets me share photos to whatsapp. But otherwise, Apple's core app support for 3rd party apps is not very good, possibly to help maintain support and interest in their core apps and services.
many 3rd party apps can access things like photos to use/share from within the apps themselves... For Apple, it's done for security in the iOS - which IMO, is a good thing. For those coming from other OS experiences - it's part of the transition of giving up old habits, and learning new ones.

its_miller_time

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys,

Well, from android, I could take a photo and immediately hit share, and share to Gmail, instagram, facebook, twitter (I know these two are there), google drive, etc. That is simply not there with iOS.

I understand I can go to the app directly, and it can access my photo gallery, but, it's not the same as sharing from the native gallery app to any app that could handle the photos.

Its an adjustment, but I will accept it for the awesomness of everything else in iOS.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
You just have to retrain your brain.

blogPost_13.03.131.png

The issues you are experiencing stem from Apple and Google's respective schools of thought.

Google

Usability is more at the forefront because Linux is inherently more secure than other operating systems. That argument doesn't necessarily stand up to iOS but when you think about the myriad of malware and computer viruses, there is constant pressure from media and consumers to ensure the safety and viability of a platform from hackers. You are given options to share from core Android apps because of the open source nature. It is what differentiates Android from the competition.

What works for Facebook, Vine, Twitter also works for many third-party applications. You could see this as competition and a relatively good thing, or you could see this as opening the floodgates and allowing for potential trouble down the line with poorly coded software.

Apple

Security, while important, doesn't take away from usability. Instead of being in the Gallery and having a plethora of options for sharing, it is pretty sparse. This is done to not overwhelm a casual user, and to ensure a layer of security that apps aren't just nestled in your preferred list of sharing programs just because one time it made sense to do so.

Open an app and share within that app. You can't tell me you were posting to multiple services at once with one click.

It's a bummer, but I hardly used the share from in the Gallery to post outside of a core app. It was just easier to use Facebook, Twitter, etc.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
IMO they just work different, Apple tries to keep things simple and secure.. Sometimes too simple, I too just use the respective app to share, if I am in Facebook I share from Facebook etc, actually I did it this way on my android devices as well. Perhaps it was just habit developed from using iDevices. Don't worry you will get used to it in no time.

its_miller_time

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies.

It is a brain re-train, and like I said, i am absolutely fine with this given what else iOS has to offer for me (much better than Android).

And to wamsille, you are correct, I was not sharing to multiple apps with one click in Android, but I could share the same picture to Instagram, Facebook, Gmail and Text message all from the gallery app, not having to open each individual app. It was easy(ier), but, like I said, I can live with this given what else iOS has to offer.

Thanks for the help guys (and not for bashing me for having questions about the competition).

Cheers!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77