Is it worth to upgrade to iPhone 5s from iPhone 5

soodmanhar

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I am having white iphone 5 currently. I am confused whether should I update to iphone 5s or use my iPhone 5 for another year and wait for iPhone 6.

Apart from touch ID what major differences are there. Is better processor makes iphone 5s faster when we all know iphone 5 in itself is very fast phone

Please advise

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iMore Forums mobile app

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the touch ID and better camera in personally don't think it's worth the upgrade. Your 5 should easily last you another year.

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I think the 5S is almost a no brainer in terms of upgrading to but that all depends on more factors than most will care to get into.

• What is your budget?
  • Are you in contract, out of contract (month-to-month) or looking to switch wireless carriers?
  • Do you buy phones off-contract?
  • Do you have a need to install processor intensive applications?
  • Do you need to have the latest and greatest?
  • Are you not satisfied with the camera on the iPhone 5?
  • Do you want a gold iPhone?

If you are happy with the 5, which is a classier 5C, then enjoy your device. If you want the latest and greatest than get a 5S. Do it if you can afford it and you want it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Aside from the touch ID and better camera in personally don't think it's worth the upgrade. Your 5 should easily last you another year.

This.

My wife and I have compared our phones (shes got the 5, i've got the 5s) multiple times and those two above factors are the only major changes...its also very slightly faster but very hard to tell the difference. I would wait for the iPhone 6.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
If I wasn't a tech fiend, I don't believe I would've upgrade from the 5 to the 5s. Plus I have a YouTube tech channel that I have to maintain so getting the next upgrade was a must. As I do enjoy the touch ID and camera, when I went back to my i5 for a brief few weeks, I didn't miss the 5s as much as I thought I possibly could. If you can wait until the i6 is out, wait!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

wamsille

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
This.

My wife and I have compared our phones (shes got the 5, i've got the 5s) multiple times and those two above factors are the only major changes...its also very slightly faster but very hard to tell the difference. I would wait for the iPhone 6.

Eventually the processor is going to make a difference though, right?

chezm

Trusted Member
Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Eventually the processor is going to make a difference though, right?

I guess so, but the 64 bit from what we understand requires more RAM to take advantage of the architecture. In the end it will be faster, but is it worth the upgrade? Here in Canada, we just NOW got 2 year contracts (was 3 years a few months ago)...and if you want to do a HW upgrade early its something like $15 a month remaining...that aint cheap. So if the choice is to update from 5 to 5s and then wait until 6s, or 5 to 6...id PERSONALLY chose the latter.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
If ya got some extra cash flow laying around, yes. If not, save your upgrade for the iPhone 6 which is almost guaranteed to have an even faster processor, better camera, as well as a larger screen.... While I do love my 5S, I do think I could have lasted another year with my 5 instead of paying full retail for my 5S.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I was back and forth to.. And was actually thinking about trading in my iPhone for a 5s.. But then I think about it didn't wanna waste money.. Yeah the touch ID and better camera and whatever is all good but my iPhone 5 is still doing me good and think I can go another year with this.. Or till the 6 comes out which I know will be a major upgrade from the 5

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I've had every iPhone and have loved every one. But, if you are contemplating using the only upgrade you have, or you are tight with money, then I would suggest waiting. Now this is just me, but if you placed the home button from the iPhone 5 onto the 5S, and made the flash the same on each....I don't believe I could tell you the difference after using both for a day. Others will argue this I am sure, and that is fine, but I don't see much difference at all between the two. Love my 5S and loved my 5.

DucmanVino

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
The reason I upgraded from the 5 is because I was able to sell it at a great price. only regret was that I should have gotten the 32gb instead of 16. and to top it off, my carrier gave me another $100 discount on my 5s purchase.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it is.

If you want to see a list of differences and comparisons between the two, look through the hundreds of posts in this sub-forum...it's been covered...A LOT.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If I wasn't a tech fiend, I don't believe I would've upgrade from the 5 to the 5s. Plus I have a YouTube tech channel that I have to maintain so getting the next upgrade was a must. As I do enjoy the touch ID and camera, when I went back to my i5 for a brief few weeks, I didn't miss the 5s as much as I thought I possibly could. If you can wait until the i6 is out, wait!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

What's your YouTube channel?

soodmanhar

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
The reason I upgraded from the 5 is because I was able to sell it at a great price. only regret was that I should have gotten the 32gb instead of 16. and to top it off, my carrier gave me another $100 discount on my 5s purchase.

You are lucky

soodmanhar

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
Going by all the replies i think it's worth to wait for iPhone 6 rather than simply upgrading from 5 to 5s.
As we all know iphone 6 will have a bigger screen and better specs. I think I will wait till 6 is out in September 2014

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Going by all the replies i think it's worth to wait for iPhone 6 rather than simply upgrading from 5 to 5s.
As we all know iphone 6 will have a bigger screen and better specs. I think I will wait till 6 is out in September 2014

Nobody "knows" anything about the next iPhone. A year ago, people "knew" the next iPhone would have a bigger screen...and it didn't.

eb_therebel

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
It's a worthy upgrade for me because of the m7. As an avid runner, now my favorite apps I.e Runkeeper and a few others that I use regularly use it to track my progress and help me save battery for my long runs

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Damn, I should stick it out with my 4s too.. LOL I am considering upgrade but to the 5 or 5c, because I have a feeling the 6 is going to be a HIT.