ID finger print just doesn't work

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
When I first bought the 5s the finger print id worked great. Now it hardly works. I say if I try it 10 times it works 2 times. What's the deal?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning the sensor or deleting your saved fingerprints and rescanning?

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I do not have it enabled on my phone so I cannot speak directly from experience, but have you tried the basics? Such as, registering more than one of the fingerprints to a particular finger that you use in order to improve the chances of accuracy? Have you tried wiping out all of the stored fingerprints and starting all over?

Aside from those things, I would suggest taking it to the closest Apple Store if within reasonable distance and have them check it out.

Edit: sorry I posted same time as D :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Mine still works as good today as it did the day I bought it. Unless yours was damaged or has some kind of pre-existing issue, I have no idea why yours would be acting weird (unless you didn't calibrate it properly or didn't use enough different positions to make more generally successful).

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep. Mine still works as great today, as it did the day I got it. Only the occasional hiccup from being a little dirty. Nothing a quick wipe with a microfiber won't cure.

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Depends on the day. Sometimes I notice it doesn't work especially if my hands are super dry. It isn't fool proof and can be extremely frustrating at times.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine works great, but of course I made sure my whole thumb, no matter how I sit it, was saved. Clean it off, try saving your prints again! Mine only doesn't work when my fingers have something on them.

km12345

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
If it use to work great why would I have to re due my prints? Makes no sense. My finger prints haven't changed in 25 years

I have an idea . Make 2 finger id of the finger that u r using but focus on diff section of ur fingers so that it pretty much learn ur whole finger at least all possible part which may contact the sensor.

Sent from my Gold iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Infiniti7

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I'll try that but when I first made a print of my thumb it worked great. Just Doesn't make sense why it stopped working. I have AppleCare+ wonder if they will give me a new device if they can't figure it out

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'll try that but when I first made a print of my thumb it worked great. Just Doesn't make sense why it stopped working. I have AppleCare+ wonder if they will give me a new device if they can't figure it out

They'd give you a replacement even if you just used the regular 1 year standard Apple Care. Your experience is not normal...my wife's 5S's finger print scanner works flawlessly too (she just doesn't use it, lol).

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Reads my print in 0.01 seconds. There are times all I want to do is just turn on the screen and it unlocks the phone, Lol. I'd say take it to the Apple store and have it checked out.

finn5975

Banned
Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
If it use to work great why would I have to re due my prints? Makes no sense. My finger prints haven't changed in 25 years

Lol when I suggested this, I wasn't implying that your fingerprints have changed or anything like that. But we are putting a lot of reliance on technology not only to work the way it should, but continuing to work as designed over time. Sometimes, a glitch occurs for whatever reason and while it does not make sense on the surface, it can happen.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
At times it takes a couple of tries for it to recognize my fingerprint. I find that wiping my screen and home button on my shirt or jeans helps it work better.

Just gotta wipe the thing every so often.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
A forum member posted a tip of making a few profiles of the same finger. I think that's been working for me. And making different profiles with different grips.

#Naked Tuesday

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2