Questions for iPhone 5S owners

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I recently upgraded from s2 to the xperia z1, which I immediately regretted. The display on my device is defective and suffers from a yellow tint. There are other issues with the device as well. On November 1st, iPhone 5S releases in my country. I am very interested in trading in my z1 for an iPhone. However I have some questions.
1. Is it true that iPhone 5 runs ios 7 better than the 5s?there are some people who have posted this.
2. Is the battery life at par with the iPhone 5?
3. Is the in call volume loud enough to be heard in noisy environments? I work in a place where there is lots of noise so this is important.
4. Can the iPhone handle a bit of sweat getting into the earpiece while talking? It's humid hear and sweating is a problem :)
Thanks

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
1.) Not in my experience. My 5S seems snappier performance wise, and I've had no issues with iOS 7 at all (on either devices really).
2.) My battery life is better than my iPhone 5's on my 5S (not substantial, but better).
3.) Call volume has been perfect for me regardless of environment. I was talking with my wife in a really noisy sports bar the other day and realized that I wasn't having to yell, lol.
4.) I live in Atlanta...humidity was born here. Yes, it can take a bit of sweat...I run with mine every other day about 5-6 miles per day...handles it fine.

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I recently upgraded from s2 to the xperia z1, which I immediately regretted. The display on my device is defective and suffers from a yellow tint. There are other issues with the device as well. On November 1st, iPhone 5S releases in my country. I am very interested in trading in my z1 for an iPhone. However I have some questions.
1. Is it true that iPhone 5 runs ios 7 better than the 5s?there are some people who have posted this.
2. Is the battery life at par with the iPhone 5?
3. Is the in call volume loud enough to be heard in noisy environments? I work in a place where there is lots of noise so this is important.
4. Can the iPhone handle a bit of sweat getting into the earpiece while talking? It's humid hear and sweating is a problem :)
Thanks

1) I was having a lot of the crashes with the 5S vs the 5 but I think the new update has changed.
2) my battery is about the same but some people thing theirs has improved
3) I've never been in this situation. Last time I tried to answer a call in loud noise, I was in front of a DJ at a block party. Didn't work out to well.
4) I live in Atlanta and it's humid as idk what here, I understand. There's no problem at all, I sweat and my phone works fine still.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app

Motorbones

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
1. Is it true that iPhone 5 runs ios 7 better than the 5s? Nope..
2. Is the battery life at par with the iPhone 5? Better...
3. Is the in call volume loud enough to be heard in noisy environments? Yup
4. Can the iPhone handle a bit of sweat getting into the earpiece while talking? It's humid hear and sweating is a problem :) Should be OK, unless you drop it in the toilet.. then it'll probably work like you-know-what...

5S is a great phone. There my be other great phones out there, but this one is for sure a really great phone..

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies :) Just a couple more question, if you people dont mind.. Can I take screenshots of youtube videos and share it on social networks with iphone? And can i read texts on websites and in ebooks without squinting or does the small screen come in the way? Please remember I am coming from Sony Xperia Z1 which has a giant 5 inch full HD screen. Does it really make a difference? I mean HD screened Androids vs iphone? Sorry, I have never owned one.. so i am a total newbie. :)

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for all the replies :) Just a couple more question, if you people dont mind.. Can I take screenshots of youtube videos and share it on social networks with iphone? And can i read texts on websites and in ebooks without squinting or does the small screen come in the way? Please remember I am coming from Sony Xperia Z1 which has a giant 5 inch full HD screen. Does it really make a difference? I mean HD screened Androids vs iphone? Sorry, I have never owned one.. so i am a total newbie. :)

You're starting to venture into a preference category, and answers may not reflect your own preferences or experience...that said, no, I have not found any issues reading or functioning with the 4" screen compared to larger screened devices, and I actually prefer the smaller screen because it allows for a better form factor with the phone vs. the huge chassis associated with the other phones on the market utilizing a larger screen. The "retina display" is just a fancy name for an HD screen, so it's not like you're downgrading from HD to SD on the iPhone, they just call it "retina display".

And yes, you can take screen shots of really anything and share them wherever you like.

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Again, thank you :) I guess i have just one last question.. Here is my typical workday smartphone usage..
2 hrs music (commute)
3-4 hours Web browsing over 2g/3g and wifi
1 hour of calls (approx)
30-40 minutes of gaming
1-2 hours Tapatalk
Would the iPhone last me from 7 am to midnight on a single charge?
I know this is very subjective and very hard to predict but I just need an estimate. That said, if you guys feel this is an unanswerable question, feel free to ignore it :) its just that I ll be purchasing at full retail since there is no other option in my country. Hence the caution..
:-D :p

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Again, thank you :) I guess i have just one last question.. Here is my typical workday smartphone usage..
2 hrs music (commute)
3-4 hours Web browsing over 2g/3g and wifi
1 hour of calls (approx)
30-40 minutes of gaming
1-2 hours Tapatalk
Would the iPhone last me from 7 am to midnight on a single charge?
I know this is very subjective and very hard to predict but I just need an estimate. That said, if you guys feel this is an unanswerable question, feel free to ignore it :) its just that I ll be purchasing at full retail since there is no other option in my country. Hence the caution..
:-D :p

It really is pretty hard to answer that question, because not all web browsing pulls the same load, not all gaming pulls the same load and I don't use tapatalk so I don't have any idea what kind of battery drain that causes. I can run my 5S with moderate to heavy usage during the day for that kind of time frame with no problem, so I'll just have to go with a resounding "probably", lol.

marzjones

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
1/ Never had any problems or crashes with my 5s. (knock on wood)
2. Battery life is excellent. Especially compared to android. -__-
3. The call volume is loud and easy to hear. Gets a tad bit choppy sometimes in my experience.
4. Haven't broke a sweat with my 5s lol

iPerry7

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the answers :) all that remains now is for 1st November to Dawn and then i can go grab my 5s..I have a feeling I am gonna love it
:)

Anilu7

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
It really is pretty hard to answer that question, because not all web browsing pulls the same load, not all gaming pulls the same load and I don't use tapatalk so I don't have any idea what kind of battery drain that causes. I can run my 5S with moderate to heavy usage during the day for that kind of time frame with no problem, so I'll just have to go with a resounding "probably", lol.

So would you say that the iPhone 5S battery is better than the iPhone 4? My 4 would never last that long with moderate use but no gaming.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77