Maybe coming to the 5s

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface, I've been an android person since the HTC hero days, loved it and loved tinkering with it. Last year I sold an s3 to get the iPhone 5, kept it for awhile then went back to my Android devices so I could customize and such. Bought the s4 with att, then got the moto x and am now using some cheap LG on virgin mobile. What I have found is I don't really enjoy doing the customizing my phones like I have, I just use them.

This has me looking at the 5s. I realize this cheap phone is not going to hold me over, camera and screen sucks and I want what I'm used to a high end device.

I've read countless threads, looked at some photos online but before I spend nearly a weeks pay on a phone, I have some questions.

1. Is the camera really as good as they say? Taking pics of my kids and on vacations are important, any phone can do it but I want quality and that is one thing the s4 had going for it.

2. Will I be able to download all the apps and such I had bought in the app store when I had the 5 or will I need to rebuy them? Android I know I don't

3. Syncing my calendar and contacts with Google, is that an issue?

4. Would the backup of my playlist and app data carry over to the new device?

Sorry, I'm really a newbie with Apple products, never been a fan but it's time to just get what will work for my needs, that I don't need to customize and will last for a while (I've never spent as much on a phone as I will be)

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk 4

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Let me add, one big issue is use of my Google voice number. I had issues from the start with the 5.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes to all your questions.

As far as the camera. I love it but it's a preference thing in my opinion. I've never had a S4 so I don't know how good that camera is

aue123

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
I cant answer all your questions.. But I have been using android since HTC Eris, Droid 2 Global, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid Maxx. And although I got used to the 2 days use and the 10 hour "screen on" times with everything on.. The 720p screens and the 294 ppi, active notifications, Qi charging, Always listening X8.. or even the 24+ hour talk times.. I still went out and bought a iPhone 5s? Weird I know.. Why would I give up so much for an iPhone, having to charge every 8-10 hours, sometimes less depending if i actually use the phone, every function turned off just to save every extra minute of battery.. Well I remember having the old iPhone 2g back in 07 and I remember not getting any other iPhone because they weren't supported by verizon. I told myself I would test drive the 5s for a few weeks. So far the camera is about the same as the Droid Maxx I think the slow mo is better on the 5s though but thats because 5s records at 120fps and the maxx at i think 60. Benchmarks don't mean diddly. yea yea 5s scored super high.. The maxx was smooth as butter, never had stutters or lag .. I have no stutters or lag on the 5s.. Everyone always says droids crash and whatever.. well granted that's true with all OS's I've had the 5s freeze for a good 5 seconds and go straight to springboard maybe 4 times since ive owned it in the past 5 days. On the maxx I would get "Google services failed" press "ok" but the app would continue working, it wouldn't drop back to the main menu and there was no "freeze out" Granted you don't like tinker with your phones, what says you have to ? I've honestly done just as much tinkering with the 5s as i have the maxx to maximize battery.. I've had to turn off air drop, turn off location, limit ads?, keep Bluetooth off , gps off, turn off specific notifications, turn off background app refresh, turn off most of spotlight , siri's raise to speak, stop some icloud services, reduce motion. I've done less tinkering with the maxx and have had outstanding battery life, what good is a phone thats plugged into a wall? I suggest going to the Store and playing with the phones more.. maybe spend a few hours.. look up comparisons on youtube.. I hope this helped..

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Let me add, one big issue is use of my Google voice number. I had issues from the start with the 5.

I use google voice with no issues on the 5s. Perfect I'm my opinion. I'm on Sprint though and Google has some kind of deal with Sprint where google voice is seamless integration. I don't know about other carriers.

Brady KEITH

Banned
Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
1. Yes.
2. No. Prepare to inve$t. However, native apps are good.
3. No, not an issue.
4. Playlist: Not a problem, assuming you used Play Music, in which case you can download your Play Music collection (assuming you haven't used your "download twice" option already). Once you've downloaded your music collection, simply integrate the same with iTunes. App list: yes, that's a "problem"; you're changing the operating system. I'm unsure of what apps you've stored user data for with Android. Just assume that it will be lost in the transition to iOS.

Omitted questions, for which I'll offer unsolicited answers:
A. Is the fingerprint scanner on the 5s perfected: Yes; it's unparalleled on android devices (HTC One Max excepting...maybe...I haven't tried it).
B. Is the "it just works" iPhone mantra real: Yes, it is.
C. Is the hardware analogous to android devices: No. With respect to the HTC One and the Moto X or the soon-to-be-released Nexus 5 (assuming a suitable carrier is available in your area), the 5s hardware blows both the One and the X out of the water.
D. Will I experience analogous forking or skinning of pure Android with the iPhone: No. Pure iOS; never molested by Samsung, HTC, or LG.
E. Versus the Moto X, how's the iPhone 5s stack up: Moto X is Android's iPhone. If you're an Android purist, you should get another Moto X. If you're willing to drop coin, iPhone is the way to go. Again, the hardware alone is worth the money you'll reinvest in app purchases...my 2?.
F. (The factor that 'sold' me on iOS.) Are software upgrades carrier dependent: No; Apple pushes them directly to your phone. It's awesome.
G. Does the hardware manufacturer have good customer service: On par with Verizon (i.e., excellent).

I recently made the switch. I don't regret it. It just works. It takes effort and a bit of getting used to; imo, it's worth it.

Brady KEITH

Banned
Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I use google voice with no issues on the 5s. Perfect I'm my opinion. I'm on Sprint though and Google has some kind of deal with Sprint where google voice is seamless integration. I don't know about other carriers.

I use GV as well...zero issues. Also, search iMore for "Hangouts iOS Google Voice" (or on Google)...the interface of Hangouts seems a little clunky to me...I prefer the iOS Google Voice app.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a Space Grey 16gig 5s on Virgin Mobile about 45 minutes ago. I will say I did not mean to send the order through, just wanted a total and was clicking to fast and hit the order instead of cancel button. Tax and all its $590, and an over draft fee I am sure since I did not have that in the account. I am now hoping its not a 5 day shipping (free 3-5 day)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I ordered a Space Grey 16gig 5s on Virgin Mobile about 45 minutes ago. I will say I did not mean to send the order through, just wanted a total and was clicking to fast and hit the order instead of cancel button. Tax and all its $590, and an over draft fee I am sure since I did not have that in the account. I am now hoping its not a 5 day shipping (free 3-5 day)

Yikes!!!!

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
That is correct. I had some I bought on apple when I had a 5

Your iPhone 5 apps will translate to the iPhone 5s. Now I have some older iOS 6 apps that developer did not update for iOS 7 and probably never will. I don't know if you would fall into this category. But just a heads up.

Sekelani Zwambila

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Let me preface, I've been an android person since the HTC hero days, loved it and loved tinkering with it. Last year I sold an s3 to get the iPhone 5, kept it for awhile then went back to my Android devices so I could customize and such. Bought the s4 with att, then got the moto x and am now using some cheap LG on virgin mobile. What I have found is I don't really enjoy doing the customizing my phones like I have, I just use them.

This has me looking at the 5s. I realize this cheap phone is not going to hold me over, camera and screen sucks and I want what I'm used to a high end device.

I've read countless threads, looked at some photos online but before I spend nearly a weeks pay on a phone, I have some questions.

1. Is the camera really as good as they say? Taking pics of my kids and on vacations are important, any phone can do it but I want quality and that is one thing the s4 had going for it.

2. Will I be able to download all the apps and such I had bought in the app store when I had the 5 or will I need to rebuy them? Android I know I don't

3. Syncing my calendar and contacts with Google, is that an issue?

4. Would the backup of my playlist and app data carry over to the new device?

Sorry, I'm really a newbie with Apple products, never been a fan but it's time to just get what will work for my needs, that I don't need to customize and will last for a while (I've never spent as much on a phone as I will be)

Hey buddy.
To answer your questions;

1) The camera is remarkable at low and normal photos. You won't complain. Here is a photo I took
u9u5yser.jpg

No editing, straight from the camera.

2) The apps you bought on your iPhone 5 would be stored on your Apple ID so no you wouldn't have to buy them again. Once you buy an app it's yours till eternity.

3) syncing your calendar and contacts from google could be done this way. Go to iCloud.com. Enter in your Apple ID then password. After that go to contacts. You must have contacts stored from iCloud. If you don't then this wouldn't work.
Once you open contacts on iCloud.com. Your fine.
You can buy your 5S and they'll all be on iCloud.
If not then you should copy all your contact on google then drag them onto iCloud.

4) the app data from your iPhone 5 back up should be there when opening iTunes. Unless you have manually deleted your iPhone 5 backups.
You can restore from this back up or set up has a new iPhone.

My advice is you won't regret your purchase. It's a phone that is snappy, reliable and good build quality.
It does the job well.
If your not looking for customisation this phone is the best on the market.
The finger print touch ID is remarkable and quick. No waiting , it's instant. The A7 processor is fast. Having no issues there.
The dual flash is good at evening out textures and creating beautiful photos in the dark.
It would be worth it mate.
What capacity and colour are you thinking of getting?
It also depends on what you would be using the phone for, if your into games and heaps of apps then get the 64gig. Hope this helps.

steveh552

Trusted Member
Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Hey buddy.
To answer your questions;

1) The camera is remarkable at low and normal photos. You won't complain. Here is a photo I took http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/23/u9u5yser.jpg
No editing, straight from the camera.

2) The apps you bought on your iPhone 5 would be stored on your Apple ID so no you wouldn't have to buy them again. Once you buy an app it's yours till eternity.

3) syncing your calendar and contacts from google could be done this way. Go to iCloud.com. Enter in your Apple ID then password. After that go to contacts. You must have contacts stored from iCloud. If you don't then this wouldn't work.
Once you open contacts on iCloud.com. Your fine.
You can buy your 5S and they'll all be on iCloud.
If not then you should copy all your contact on google then drag them onto iCloud.

4) the app data from your iPhone 5 back up should be there when opening iTunes. Unless you have manually deleted your iPhone 5 backups.
You can restore from this back up or set up has a new iPhone.

My advice is you won't regret your purchase. It's a phone that is snappy, reliable and good build quality.
It does the job well.
If your not looking for customisation this phone is the best on the market.
The finger print touch ID is remarkable and quick. No waiting , it's instant. The A7 processor is fast. Having no issues there.
The dual flash is good at evening out textures and creating beautiful photos in the dark.
It would be worth it mate.
What capacity and colour are you thinking of getting?
It also depends on what you would be using the phone for, if your into games and heaps of apps then get the 64gig. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I ordered, although by accident the 16gig space grey. I was going to wait until I know exactly what my check was going to be Friday, BUT being to quick on the PC I clicked confirm instead of cancel