5S -- Will it have simultaneous voice and data with Verizon?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh so people that don't stay near wifi so they can use voice and data at the same time are less intelligent. Got it. :/
Long-time Verizon users who depend on being able to talk&surf have solutions for data that don't involve their phones because up until the recent crop of devices mentioned up thread, no Verizon devices have been capable of talk&surf.

Jay2pt0

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
To clear up some things. First, the iPhone has 1 antenna, 2 radios. Other phones on Verizon get around this 2 ways. First way is turning on both the CDMA and LTE radios at once using both antennas. Second is SVDO which the THUNDERBOLT uses to get talk and surf over CDMA exclusively when LTE is unavailable. Second thing, Rene wrote a post today reiterating that the iPhone would have to add a 2nd antenna (or SVDO) to enable talk and surf on Sprint or Verizon. This would force them to make a design decision they don't wish to make for a handful of carriers. Don't blame them. That said I'm on Sprint I know how much it sucks. I've used the GS3, Note 2, Evo 4G LTE and a few others in areas with no LTE and talk and surf was still possible bc SVDO support. I was great and even better when LTE is available but Apple has to make a phone for almost 200 countries so hey. What can you do?

Paradocks

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Long-time Verizon users who depend on being able to talk&surf have solutions for data that don't involve their phones because up until the recent crop of devices mentioned up thread, no Verizon devices have been capable of talk&surf.

The Thunderbolt is over two years old. My Rezound, which also does simultaneous talk&surf is two years old as well. I wouldn't put them in the category of "recent crop of devices."

Sent from somewhere

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The Thunderbolt is over two years old. My Rezound, which also does simultaneous talk&surf is two years old as well. I wouldn't put them in the category of "recent crop of devices."

Sent from somewhere

Think longer term... two years compared to 5 is "recent crop". Fact still remains that Verizon has not had any talk&surf capable devices for much more that those two years... and most Verizon users covered their needs for mobile data via means other than their phones if they absolutely needed to be on a voice call while using data.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Not until Verizon deploys Voice over LTE - which may be sometime in 2014... until then - the only way to talk & surf on Verizon is to be on wifi for data because the phones only have the capability to have data via LTE or 3G/CDMA or voice - not both simultaneously.

Except all their lte devices minus the iphone can do both data and voice on LTE not to mention some can even do it on their 3g network.....

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Why is this a big deal? If you're on the phone, why do you need to be browsing online at the same time?

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Except all their lte devices minus the iphone can do both data and voice on LTE not to mention some can even do it on their 3g network.....
The voice isn't on LTE... it's on CDMA... those devices have LTE radios for data only... and legacy CDMA radios for voice and up to 3G data. No carrier currently does voice over LTE outside of their reasearch and develment labs.

Ted G

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Why is this a big deal? If you're on the phone, why do you need to be browsing online at the same time?

I am the owner and CEO of a company -- I travel ALL THE TIME -- MANY TIMES my ONLY internet IS from my phone -- so, I'm making business calls while needing to check things online DURING the calls...

For me -- it IS important...

AND -- I'm screwed -- my question has been answered by many INTELLIGENT people -- and I appreciate ALL of the responses...

THANKS GUYS!!!

21stNow

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Many people do this. I have a friend that does it all the time. A recent example is she wanted me to look at the iPhone 5S cases that she was thinking about purchasing. :)

I don't do it as much because I'm a multiple device person, so I talk on one device and look things up on another device. My mother calls me to ask me to look at things online with her quite often. I'm not always at my computer when she calls.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2