Has there ever been less of a reason to upgrade?

thatotherdude24

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes you did, thanks. I only ask because I see it so often in all technology blogs and I agree it's likely all the rummers and leaks. I wouldn't consider myself a fan either. I give props to Motorola and while I agree it should have been cheaper, it's still a good phone because it is optimized. Android as a whole is impressive in many ways, but sometimes it's open nature is just as good as it is bad. Carriers and manufacturers truly butcher the awesomeness that android is. I like ios and the iphone because I can rely on them. I also find the camera and apps tends to be better on ios. (In my opinion). Did not know Nokia had dual led flash, I thought it was I xenon light?

Anyway good response. The best part about technology is choice! I will likely upgrade to the 5s and then wait it out to the 6s if I stay with apple. Who knows, something android might change my mind by my next upgrade :)

You are correct, both 928 and 1020 are xenon flash, I misspoke.

I am an android fan but they carriers do ruin it with all the extra crap. I do love pure android but Verizon doesn't offer pure Android. Touchwiz really agitated me today. Came across an accident but couldn't call it in because my note 2 locked up, had to take off my otterbox and do a battery pull. On my iPhones I will admit I've never not been able to make an urgent call when I needed to.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Awesome insight on the S class upgrades staying with the same chassis because how many people with multiple cases for the 5 would be upset if they couldn't use those anymore because of a design change?

Carried by a raven from The Wall.

Exactly, look at the variety of cases we have today! While many people may not upgrade from an i5 to i5s it allows cases to be made for both phones with no issues. Look at the variety the iPhone has compared to other phones. Keeping the same chassis allows for this. Also, as someone who watches all things technology, if I can remember correctly, most of the "s" phones are spec bumps and feature improvements where as the non-a models are mostly aesthetic and possibly some major features but performance wise there isn't as much as a bump from one to another.

From the 3GS to the 4 there was a whole new design, new camera, new screen technology and new dimensions but while the specs did change some, the weren't as strong as they were from the 3G to the 3GS. The 4s improved on power, and camera , however the five got less of an upgrade on the inner specs then it did on the outside appearance and features. Now I don't know why apple does this but I think it helps developers and accessory makers as well as the tech enthusiasts and fans that do upgrade every year.

Richard Nieves

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
You are correct, both 928 and 1020 are xenon flash, I misspoke.

I am an android fan but they carriers do ruin it with all the extra crap. I do love pure android but Verizon doesn't offer pure Android. Touchwiz really agitated me today. Came across an accident but couldn't call it in because my note 2 locked up, had to take off my otterbox and do a battery pull. On my iPhones I will admit I've never not been able to make an urgent call when I needed to.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Touchwiz is the worst offender in my experience. I hated my gs2 because its interface was the worst. Also I don't feel like Samsung really backs up their software. The ics update I got was so bad that I had to install a cyanogen mod just to get it to work normal. When that didn't work right, I ended up switching to a leaked updated version of samsungs jelly bean update. It was better than the official build of ics I had, but was still buggy and while it was a beta, it STILL Worked better than the official ics build I had. I eventually switch back to stock because of battery life, but I was done... That's when I decided i would try something new. Before the value of my phone went down more (s4 wasn't announced yet) I sold my phone and bought an off contract iphone 5 on eBay as a test to see if I liked it as a primary phone. I knew apple products hold value ridiculously well so I knew when my upgrade came out if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out much. My iPhone was pretty much new when I got it (mint) and I take great care of my phones so I would get top dollar and get something different. If I liked it, I would upgrade to the newest apple device (5s) and keep that for two years.

Don't know if I would have an apple phone if I had tried something else, but Samsung seems to be the top dog for android and they just don't do it for me.

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Well it is still an upgrade from a 5 to a 5s.. But there shouldn't be to much changes I think iPhone is waiting to have a major upgrade when they announce the iPhone 6

pappy53

Banned
Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I think that it is a great upgrade. As far as the M7 processor, I wish that Apple had leaned it more toward making Siri more functional, instead of a health monitor. Kinda like the Moto X, except we would say "ok, Siri", and it would have varied functions. Not to copy the Moto X, but to have some of the same basic premise. I just think that would add more usefulness than a health monitor. Just my opinion, though.....

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
If you upgrade every year you are going to be disappointed. I still think that the upgrade from the 5 to the 5S is worth it to Apple fans. But you don't really gain much from doing that. I think that I'm going to stop at this the 5 for now and then just upgrade my iPad and iPhone to the 6 models next year.

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Obviously, the introduction of Siri was the big deal with 4S. And the fact that you couldnt run Siri on the 4 made the upgrade even more pronounced. Yes, you cant run a fingerprint scanner on the 5 I view that differently. The 4S had the computing power to run Siri, the 4 did not. That tells you something about the perceived bump in processing power. Also, the market was very different then. Apple was still way out in front of everyone else. The 4S was acceptable when you are a mile in front of your competition. The 5S is much less acceptable now that Android has passed, or at least equaled, the Iphone.

You make some valid points but your bottom line is that apple is no longer ahead in the competition and that's a totally different subject whether or not it's true, the fact is this "S" version is 100% consistent with previous years, the internals were improved, better processor, better camera, new features the iphone 5 cant do, new fingerprint sensor... This 5S has "S" written all over it. Now, this is not the phone YOU think Apple should've released??? Maybe or maybe not... but that's a different subject which you are free and welcome to discuss in a new thread.

Stevenojobs

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I see you all guys arguing but can I remind you that apple owe you nothing and they can do what they want ! It's a free world and nobody told you to buy this, if you're disappointed, stop hating and say "I would do that" and then do nothing. Build your company if you want... Apple make great product. Deal with it and stop arguing. Just enjoy the product because it's a hell of a good product

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry until apple builds a phone with a 4.5" screen at minimum I'm sticking with android for now. I've handled the 5 and after being use to a 4.7" screen on my razr maxx HD it's just in my opinion unusable for web browsing

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry until apple builds a phone with a 4.5" screen at minimum I'm sticking with android for now. I've handled the 5 and after being use to a 4.7" screen on my razr maxx HD it's just in my opinion unusable for web browsing

I understand your point of view, but why do you (and the ones who hate/bash at every turn) feel the need to hang out here on an Apple-centric forum? Do they really expect to cause the scales to fall from our eyes so we see things the way they do?

I don’t mean to start anything, but I really am confused by the influx of critics and haters...

jphillips1963

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I understand your point of view, but why do you (and the ones who hate/bash at every turn) feel the need to hang out here on an Apple-centric forum? Do they really expect to cause the scales to fall from our eyes so we see things the way they do?

I don’t mean to start anything, but I really am confused by the influx of critics and haters...

Basically it's in hopes that Apple gets the hint that if they see enough folks dislike a product for one reason or another they will want to make a change in order to attract those of us who stay with a particular phone because of said reasons. I'm not here to bash I stated why I'm not switching over.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Basically it's in hopes that Apple gets the hint that if they see enough folks dislike a product for one reason or another they will want to make a change in order to attract those of us who stay with a particular phone because of said reasons. I'm not here to bash I stated why I'm not switching over.

Here's the problem with your logic on being here...it assumes that Apple is doing something "wrong" by not offering the screen size YOU want. You're going to see (just like everyone does every year) that Apple will sell a record number of devices this year again...this tells us one thing, that Apple is doing just fine, that their decision to stay with the current size screen still satisfies a majority of their consumer base, and that there is no "problem".

I'm not saying that you're wrong for your desires for a larger screen iPhone, but you're (for the time being) not the majority...this is proven by the fact that we still have a 4" screen iPhone 5S. When the majority of the consumer base demands a larger screen, we'll probably get one, but for now, this is what we have...if it doesn't appeal to you based solely on screen size, then thankfully, you have some options to go to from Samsung and a slew of other manufacturers.

Coming here and complaining about the iPhone size though, in the attempt to get Apple to "get a hint" as you put it, is a completely moot point...and it gets a little old to be honest, because there are so many people (most of which are trolls) that come here and complain about it, when the reality is, most of us here with the iPhone are the ones that are satisfied with it, enjoy it and PREFER it...having to trudge through posts like yours becomes more annoying than anything, even though as a forum, everyone is open to offer their opinion.

I guess my only suggestion would be that if you've stated your opinion on the matter that you're not a fan of the iPhone or the size or whatever it is you're complaining about at a given time...do it and move on, don't flood every thread we have with the stuff, don't redundantly point out your opinion 50 times in a thread when once is enough to get the point. Speak your piece and move onto your phone of preference, otherwise it just looks like trolling.

organix

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
On the bright side, they've done all they can to keep you from spending your hard earned money. I was looking for any excuse to upgrade... guess I'll wait too.

tbaptista

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think if you have a 5 you should not upgrade! Please don't drain the supply for us 4s and below owners that want the upgrade. lol

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm glad people put up some of the new specs and upgrades of the 5s. A thread like this there is no answer, resolution. It's all about opinion and some people will always be disappointed. If Apple could build a phone to please every person on earth the smartphone wars would be over.

The only thing I wonder is how a bigger screen is innovating? Android devices have done bigger screens forever. A battery that lasts 3 days on a charge to me that is innovating because I don't know of any smartphone that can do that?

pegasusl

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Im in a strange place on this...

I like "most" the 5S ( I should...Im currently rocking a 4 which I have had since release and still LOVE to bits..) It's a good upgrade from my 4 and I'm sure things will run faster and smoother. I am "concerned" about the fingerprint scanner though. iPhones have not got a good rep for the home button's reliability (it seems to be their Achiles heels for failures) and now they've gone and made it more complex. Im not sure how useable it will be in real terms of security and so I do think its a gimmick that will end up disappearing as a not so great idea in the end.

I hate, or should I say HATE the look of iOS7 and (I know this is my own personal opinion) think Johnny Ives should be sacked for that awful car crash of design. I can not and will not own a phone that made me look at that everyday.

So I gues it boils down to "the package" as Apple calls it... It's not the phone, or the OS, or the Apps...it's the overall experience. For me when I compare how I interact with my phone (it's in almost every part of my day) My current "experience" of the 4 on iOS6, is worth more than a better phone with an iOS I cant stand the look of. And apart from the speed difference, which in the real world relates to fractions of seconds of my time, I think I'm gonna pass.

I dont need a gimmick (FP Scanner) and Im not worried about bigger screens as some seem obsessed with. But I would love a longer battery life, the ability to send and receive stuff via blutooth, a reliable home button, and I WOULD HAVE LOVED iOS 7 with it's current features if it looked grown up instead of like a 5yr old had designed it with coloured pencils.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Im in a strange place on this...

I like "most" the 5S ( I should...Im currently rocking a 4 which I have had since release and still LOVE to bits..) It's a good upgrade from my 4 and I'm sure things will run faster and smoother. I am "concerned" about the fingerprint scanner though. iPhones have not got a good rep for the home button's reliability (it seems to be their Achiles heels for failures) and now they've gone and made it more complex. Im not sure how useable it will be in real terms of security and so I do think its a gimmick that will end up disappearing as a not so great idea in the end.

I hate, or should I say HATE the look of iOS7 and (I know this is my own personal opinion) think Johnny Ives should be sacked for that awful car crash of design. I can not and will not own a phone that made me look at that everyday.

So I gues it boils down to "the package" as Apple calls it... It's not the phone, or the OS, or the Apps...it's the overall experience. For me when I compare how I interact with my phone (it's in almost every part of my day) My current "experience" of the 4 on iOS6, is worth more than a better phone with an iOS I cant stand the look of. And apart from the speed difference, which in the real world relates to fractions of seconds of my time, I think I'm gonna pass.

I dont need a gimmick (FP Scanner) and Im not worried about bigger screens as some seem obsessed with. But I would love a longer battery life, the ability to send and receive stuff via blutooth, a reliable home button, and I WOULD HAVE LOVED iOS 7 with it's current features if it looked grown up instead of like a 5yr old had designed it with coloured pencils.

Vote with your wallet, sir. If you like it, buy it. If not, buy something else.

FWIW, I (and many others) disagree with your assessment that the FP Scanner is a gimmick and that iOS 7 appears to have been designed by a 5 year old with colored pencils. There are, however, some who will agree with you. We?ll see how this plays out after Friday and after all the sales numbers are tallied. I?m betting on "WIN" for Apple.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2