where's my fingerprint scanner!?

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've got insomnia so I'm still up. LOL

anyway AT&T, T-Mobile and apple seem to be showing the 5C more than the 5S. I have this feeling, many people who don't follow tech blogs will order the 5C thinking its "the new iphone" and then get pissed when some of the features aren't in it that they heard about.

I can see it now. they hop on AT&T, see just an ad for the 5C, order it. then get angry about the missing features. LOL

makes me wonder. why is apple advertising last years model in a new plastic case, over the 5S? Why is this the phone for pre-orders instead of the 5S?

based on the ads, I can easily see how many will think "This is the new iphone"

what am I missing? Based on the carriers websites and apple, you'd think the 5C is the phone of the year, and oh yeah there's a new 5S if you want one, come pick it up. LOL WTF?

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess I'm really confused from top to bottom when it comes to this post...firstly, what's up with the title?

Secondly, how did you deduce there was any more focus on the 5c vs. the 5S? Outside of the lack of pre-ordering ability with the 5S, both phones received the same attention, and both phones bring their own flare to the table when it comes to choice this go 'round.

Regarding the "missing the line" logic on pre-orders...they have had lines for every iPhone that has come out thus far, for days on end...I don't think they were "missing" anything, and i still think there will be a pre-order date for the 5S, it just wont be the same day as the 5c (for network reasons would be my guess).

Every year people think SOMETHING is going to "blow up in Apple's face", and thus far, it hasn't happened...want a healthy guess? It's not going to happen this year either.

Good OL MC

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm really confused from top to bottom when it comes to this post...firstly, what's up with the title?

Secondly, how did you deduce there was any more focus on the 5c vs. the 5S? Outside of the lack of pre-ordering ability with the 5S, both phones received the same attention, and both phones bring their own flare to the table when it comes to choice this go 'round.

I think OP's point is that some people will be confused by the new product line. That can happen with a 5, 5S, a 4, a 4S, whichever. Some people don't research and that's just how it goes. People are always confused.

But he has a point about the marketing message about the 5C. If you go to VZW, Sprint, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Apple's websites the 5C is front and center. For the carriers you have to dig a bit to find the 5S. Apple controls that message so there is a method here and it points to the 5C getting a large push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple made the 5c to target a larger demographic than the 5s, which would be my guess as to why it is front and center. Mostly everyone is aware of the iphone, and most know that the "latest and greatest" iphone is always starting at $200. To target a wider audience (as well as aditional countries), the 5c was produced. People who are aware and knowledgable of the difference will most likely be looking for a 5s (which also most likely has a longer manufacturing time), so in a way...the 5s sells itself. The 5c is what is going to be the focus for the larger, not-as-tech-savy market. My guess at least.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Also, I agree with Sean....the title of the post was misleading. I was expecting to read a rant about how apple sucks because the fingerprint scanner wasn't on the 5c! Haha

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
There are also some who will go to a WSP store or an Apple store and see a sign for a 99 cent iPhone and buy that but won't think that it's the 4s or the 4.

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Also, I agree with Sean....the title of the post was misleading. I was expecting to read a rant about how apple sucks because the fingerprint scanner wasn't on the 5c! Haha
I'm sure you will. LOL just wait till uninformed people get the 5C and then start wondering where the fingerprint thing is. LOL

Also Goold Ol MC nailed the point of my post. sorry if it was confusing. the point is yeah, some soccer mom will hear "apples got a new iphone out with fingerprint scanner and better camera" and then will go to a carriers website, and see the 5C, buy it and then get angry and who knows some fo them might be posting rants in this section before too long. LOL

I love apple but I don't get this. franky the 5S should be front and center. certainly for pre orders. who stays up late to preorder a phone, the moment its released? geeks like us do. and we want the latest and greatest. Who doesn't stay up late to order a phone? soccer moms and such who I'm guessing is the target market of the 5C. maybe I'm wrong. apple makes billions so they may know something I don't but thats how I see it right now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure you will. LOL just wait till uninformed people get the 5C and then start wondering where the fingerprint thing is. LOL

Also Goold Ol MC nailed the point of my post. sorry if it was confusing. the point is yeah, some soccer mom will hear "apples got a new iphone out with fingerprint scanner and better camera" and then will go to a carriers website, and see the 5C, buy it and then get angry and who knows some fo them might be posting rants in this section before too long. LOL

I love apple but I don't get this. franky the 5S should be front and center. certainly for pre orders. who stays up late to preorder a phone, the moment its released? geeks like us do. and we want the latest and greatest. Who doesn't stay up late to order a phone? soccer moms and such who I'm guessing is the target market of the 5C. maybe I'm wrong. apple makes billions so they may know something I don't but thats how I see it right now.

The keyword there is "uninformed", and really, the only person you can blame for being uninformed (especially in this case, with a plethora of literature available online) is yourself.

I think something to keep in mind is that Apple is about marketing the iPhone, period. The 5S is their premium model, the 5c is the entry, but sales are sales, and if they think they're going to move more 5c's this go around, it makes marketing sense to have some focus on that model, because the money is all going to the same place...maybe the 5c is more profitable for them vs. the 5S, maybe they don't have the stock of 5S to cover pre-order hysteria...who knows.

In the end, Apple is going to sell a metric ton of iPhone's, regardless of model...and I'm stoked as a stock holder, lol!

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I still think apple should market both and be more clear. I agree a person is responsible for their own actions and not paying attention, and even ranted in another thread in the 5S section about how misinformed people are. so I'm with you there.

but I'm also for clarity and trying to reduce confusion so apple doesn't face backlash.

I can totally see people who don't follow tech news going to their carriers website, seeing the new iphone 5C ads, and not anything about a 5S, and having heard from that guy at class or work about a new iphone with finger print scanning and awesome camera, etc, he buys the 5C and then gets angry.

if the carriers were showing both phones then these people would see that and then stop and wonder what the difference is and then look into it more.

I just think the way apple is doing this is a bad idea. (marketing the 5C while treating the 5S as an afterthought) I could be wrong. Apple has experts in marketing and I'm just some guy playing armchair quarterback. so we'll just have to see how the dice fall. LOL

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully the people who may be "mislead" (I put that in quotes because to me they just didn't do their homework!) will have someone to help them!! Whether it be a family member, friend, sales associate, etc. My mom is clueless when it comes to technology, and was actually nervous about all of the smart phones coming out. She had a blackberry curve for her first smart phone, and it was fine for her. I showed her my iphone, let her play around on it, and she loved how easy it was to use, how responsive it was, all the games she could get, etc.

The point is...she has me to help her. If she has any questions at all about technology, she comes to me first. Without me, she would probably be in the group of people you are talking about!

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The keyword there is "uninformed", and really, the only person you can blame for being uninformed (especially in this case, with a plethora of literature available online) is yourself.

I think something to keep in mind is that Apple is about marketing the iPhone, period. The 5S is their premium model, the 5c is the entry, but sales are sales, and if they think they're going to move more 5c's this go around, it makes marketing sense to have some focus on that model, because the money is all going to the same place...maybe the 5c is more profitable for them vs. the 5S, maybe they don't have the stock of 5S to cover pre-order hysteria...who knows.

In the end, Apple is going to sell a metric ton of iPhone's, regardless of model...and I'm stoked as a stock holder, lol!
When they even come out with a new Leather Case specifically designed for the 5S just to go that one more effort to bring up profit on everything they sell which includes accessories and Yes you bet they will sell a ton of phones.
Interestingly long how much money the accessory manufactures are saving as I am told that every case with the minor exception or only a handful are already 5S compatible. Seems the only ones that are not going to be the current version of any waterproof case until they figure out what to do about the fingerprint scanner home button as told by my favorite case by Seidio which currently the convert case I have on my 4S is sitting on my desk for the 5S which is compatible from the 5.
I contacted 4 others and their cases are the same way - Compatible from the 5.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully the people who may be "mislead" (I put that in quotes because to me they just didn't do their homework!) will have someone to help them!! Whether it be a family member, friend, sales associate, etc. My mom is clueless when it comes to technology, and was actually nervous about all of the smart phones coming out. She had a blackberry curve for her first smart phone, and it was fine for her. I showed her my iphone, let her play around on it, and she loved how easy it was to use, how responsive it was, all the games she could get, etc.

The point is...she has me to help her. If she has any questions at all about technology, she comes to me first. Without me, she would probably be in the group of people you are talking about!

That’s a very good point. Almost everybody either has somebody or they are that somebody... I guess the exposure comes from those who only think they are the somebody. :)

I am, as the guys at Tekzilla say, "tech support for my friends and family". :)

John Flud

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
If anybody needs proof of my theory, go check out the late night talk show that went around with an iPad mini and told people it was the new iphone, and they fell for it. LOL! So yeah my money is on some people getting the 5C and then getting angry about the missing finger print scanner they heard about, or some other feature that is exclusive to the 5S.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
If anybody needs proof of my theory, go check out the late night talk show that went around with an iPad mini and told people it was the new iphone, and they fell for it. LOL! So yeah my money is on some people getting the 5C and then getting angry about the missing finger print scanner they heard about, or some other feature that is exclusive to the 5S.

This one?

http://forums.imore.com/iphone-6/261543-iphone-6-should-bigger-than-5-display.html#post2076171

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I usually keep my scanner in that junk drawer that you know that everyone has usually in one of your kitchen drawers so that is where my scanner would be. That WAS what was being asked right? :laughing:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2