No simultaneous voice/data for Verizon (Sprint?) iPhone 5????

viobruin

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Just as amazing are the excuses one will use to bash Apple...

As I noted above, were mobile talk & surf truly essential to me, I'd have a solution that didn't involve my phone... sorry for me being too practical.

In my opinion, whether the feature is essential or not shouldn't be the measuring stick for whether the feature should have been included. People who really care about pictures, for example, will probably use a SLR camera or, at the very least, a very good point and shoot. With that said, a phone manufactuer would be heavily criticized for not including a camera with its phone, and rightfully so. Sure, a phone camera isn't "essential" to some, but it certainly is a very nice feature to have and, today, standard protocol.

The same can be said about simultaneous voice/data on Verizon. Verizon LTE phones have been able to do simultaneous voice and data for a long time now; it's become standard protocol. Thus, I think that Apple, at the very least, deserves criticism for not including it. The absence of the feature may or may not be a deal breaker, but its inclusion would have been very nice indeed.

Reactions: bogeyx5

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, whether the feature is essential or not shouldn't be the measuring stick for whether the feature should have been included. People who really care about pictures, for example, will probably use a SLR camera or, at the very least, a very good point and shoot. With that said, a phone manufactuer would be heavily criticized for not including a camera with its phone, and rightfully so. Sure, a phone camera isn't "essential" to some, but it certainly is a very nice feature to have and, today, standard protocol.

The same can be said about simultaneous voice/data on Verizon. Verizon LTE phones have been able to do simultaneous voice and data for a long time now; it's become standard protocol. Thus, I think that Apple, at the very least, deserves criticism for not including it. The absence of the feature may or may not be a deal breaker, but its inclusion would have been very nice indeed.

I'm sure it was a trade off in the design process, as it seems to be a hardware limitation. It's more complex than just excluding it on purpose.

anon(4706822)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Nope, none. I had on feature on AT&T but it was something I was willing to sacrifice because I wanted better coverage, period. I'm very happy I will be able I do FaceTime over cellular now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vintagetonez

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
That is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. Apple eliminated the dual radios to make it super thin. Not to mention, by the time voice over LTE is widespread enough to call it useful, we'll be seeing the iphone 7 or 8 introduced anyhow. So, you're saying Apple did this because they are so advanced. So advanced that they built it for a network that doesn't exist? Yeah, that's great. the iphone 5 is a massive fail.

You're a tool. There is no issue with GSM carriers which are the dominant technology all across the globe. Don't blame apple, blame your stupidity for choosing a carrier that has technological limitations. AT&T doesn't have that problem.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You're a tool. There is no issue with GSM carriers which are the dominant technology all across the globe. Don't blame apple, blame your stupidity for choosing a carrier that has technological limitations. AT&T doesn't have that problem.

Lol. If you think AT&T is better then Verizon, then you're the tool. Just cause gsm is the dominant tech across the globe doesn't make it better. Mopeds, bicycles and walking are the dominant forms of transportation across the globe but you still drive a car don't you?

Let's see. At&t = poor coverage, poor call quality, small LTE foot print, no customer service, & no ota FaceTime.

Also in order for them to do simo voice and data on at&t, it has to drop back to the old networks and I've read that that hand off sucks. So you have fund doing simo on AT&T while your calls drop and your data gets stuck.

I'm pissed off that iPhone 5 on Verizon won't be doing simo, but that's Apple's fault not Verizon's. Apple decided to save the extra dollar per phone and screwed us. So that's why I may end up returning my iPhone 5 & going with Galaxy S 3.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
After reading this I am very glad I didn't switch to Verizon. I may not use voice & data at the same time too often, but it's one thing I wouldn't want to do without.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Lol. If you think AT&T is better then Verizon, then you're the tool. Just cause gsm is the dominant tech across the globe doesn't make it better. Mopeds, bicycles and walking are the dominant forms of transportation across the globe but you still drive a car don't you?

Let's see. At&t = poor coverage, poor call quality, small LTE foot print, no customer service, & no ota FaceTime.

Also in order for them to do simo voice and data on at&t, it has to drop back to the old networks and I've read that that hand off sucks. So you have fund doing simo on AT&T while your calls drop and your data gets stuck.

I'm pissed off that iPhone 5 on Verizon won't be doing simo, but that's Apple's fault not Verizon's. Apple decided to save the extra dollar per phone and screwed us. So that's why I may end up returning my iPhone 5 & going with Galaxy S 3.

Not that I think AT&T is better than Verizon, but all of these things that you said about AT&T depend on your location and can be said about Verizon in certain areas as well. Verizon's LTE network is still up and down and very slow in my area. Even AT&T's HSPA+ speeds are close to what I got on Verizon's LTE network. As for customer service, AT&T has been awesome for the 3 years that I've used them do far. CS will always be an area that is either good or bad for both carriers depending on the nature of the call.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Your argument may be valid in some locations... no doubt it is... but this is an incredibly subjective
argument. It really only matters if VZW or ATT is better where you live/work/play.

In my case, both VZW and ATT have excellent coverage... and I am extremely happy with my AT&T coverage. When I visited the Bay area last year, AT&T was crap... and in some locations when I go back home to Indy, I hear complaints about VZW...

Just like real estate, this discussion comes down to location, location, location.

mc511#CB

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the above posts. Verizon and ATT are great around my area but att has lte here and i get great data speeds. Now its online 10 on the down at my house but in a neighboring town i get up to 30 on the down. My friend who is on verizon doesnt get this type of speed here. It just depends on the area. Around here its ATT.

cman6453

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site

AT&T will have FaceTime but only if you're on their new tiered data plan. I guess that still sucks for those that have the gf'd unltd plan.

cjdaniel

Nov 19, 2003
Visit site
I think it should have been included with Verizon iP5, this disappoints me.

For me, picking between dropped calls and poor sound quality (provided by ATT in my area, So Cal) and the ability to do data (on rare occasion when I don't have wifi, or my ipad handy) I still choose Verizon.

But everyone needs to pick their own poison, everyone's rate plans are about the same anymore. We all have a choice. Learned long ago on this forum, you like what you like, and everyone's experience is different.

Last edited:

trmoney24

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the Turn by Turn navigation of iOS 6, but I have indeed been talking on the phone while driving and using the Waze Navigation app and was still getting turn by turn voice navigation throughout the entire time I was talking.

JustMe'D, your observation is correct. Your phone will download all the directions ahead of time. Your GPS chip can continue to operate even when on a call. So that's why it can still tell you directions as you go along.

fmflex, the problem with this is that when you miss a turn, your navigation app will not be able to re-route you since you do not have data, and that's where you will run into an issue if you are on the phone when you miss that turn.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
JustMe'D, your observation is correct. Your phone will download all the directions ahead of time. Your GPS chip can continue to operate even when on a call. So that's why it can still tell you directions as you go along.

fmflex, the problem with this is that when you miss a turn, your navigation app will not be able to re-route you since you do not have data, and that's where you will run into an issue if you are on the phone when you miss that turn.

Outstanding. Thank you. ;)

Reactions: trmoney24

Stewartj1

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm very surprised since so many other phones have been doing thus since 3G came out a few years ago.

I use it all the time and have come to rely on it so I can talk while waiting for important emails, forward information to the person I'm speaking with before I forget, etc

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivekintech1