No simultaneous voice/data for Verizon (Sprint?) iPhone 5????

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
That's only true if one had a device capable of it on Verizon... most Verizon users have never even had a device capable of talk&surf.

If they're anything like me, they waited to upgrade to an LTE device, with this feature expected, until the iPhone was LTE capable.

I may go your solution's route -- maybe. But I'll be going for the iPad Mini. Hoping those are LTE capable and support hotspot tethering.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Not once have I needed to simultaneously talk & surf while on 3G and that is usually when I'm away from home. When I'm at home, I'm normally on Wi-Fi and we all know that we can talk & surf while on Wi-Fi. Still, I understand that the ability to simultaneously talk & surf is a deal breaker to some, but it's a non-issue for me.

^My sentiments exactly

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I would 100% agree with this sentiment, before the Apple developed its own mapping and turn by turn GPS software. I think we may see a lot more people needing this feature.

I realize I'm one of the few that thinks this way... but if I absolutely needed to have the capability to "talk&surf" away from a desktop computer with internet - my surf solution would not depend on my phone... I'd use a laptop with a USB cellular network interface, or mifi, or iPad...

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I realize I'm one of the few that thinks this way... but if I absolutely needed to have the capability to "talk&surf" away from a desktop computer with internet - my surf solution would not depend on my phone... I'd use a laptop with a USB cellular network interface, or mifi, or iPad...

Exactly! If I'm at home and I need to look up information for someone I'm talking to with my iPhone, I have my iPad and MacBook readily available to assist. If a time ever comes where I need to do the same while I'm away from my home and without available Wi-Fi, I will simply tell the caller that I will call them back when I get the information they seek. The people I associate with will say, "okay and thank you". ;)

Ginbill

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, this isn't really a big deal for me as I don't use my phone for talking much.. Heh. And if I do its usually so brief that I wouldn't need to be surfing the internet. If I am on the phone I am usually in front of or have access to a laptop.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, this isn't really a big deal for me as I don't use my phone for talking much.. Heh. And if I do its usually so brief that I wouldn't need to be surfing the internet. If I am on the phone I am usually in front of or have access to a laptop.

The only reason I still preordered it was because I'm in the exact same situation. Was just hoping I could use my iPhone 5 hotspot to get LTE on the laptop, rather than my slow 3G WWAN.

BUT -- I do think we will see this become a much bigger issue for people who want to use the turn-by-turn GPS and maps while driving.

I have built-in nav in my car, so again, not an issue for me. I'm just bummed, but it's not a dealbreaker.

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
That's only true if one had a device capable of it on Verizon... most Verizon users have never even had a device capable of talk&surf.

There are solutions to this if one is willing...

If you already have a Verizon LTE iPad - and are on a Share Everything plan - you can tether your iPhone to use your iPad as a wifi hotspot and talk&surf until you're blue in the face from talking and your fingers bleed from surfing - and it won't cost you anything more.

Yeah, a solution that costs $500 for the ipad plus another $10/month for the plan. Not to mention, if you already have an lte ipad, why would you need to be surfing on the phone anyhow? Just use the ipad. amazing the excuses people will make to defend apple.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
amazing the excuses people will make to defend apple.

Just as amazing are the excuses one will use to bash Apple...

As I noted above, were mobile talk & surf truly essential to me, I'd have a solution that didn't involve my phone... sorry for me being too practical.

CD1X

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
my problem is that I like to be able to send and receive pics while im on the phone sometimes and the iPhone 5 cant do this....even on wifi......

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That better not be true. If it won't go simultaneous that's a deal breaker for me. I love Apple and was waiting for their LTE iPhone. Now that it's here I expect voice and data at the same time since every other LTE phone has it. I constantly run into situations that require it but have been holding out for the LTE iPhone. So if it doesn't, it's going back and I have to figure out what crapdroid I'd be getting. God I hope this is not true.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
unfortunately it looks like it is.

As I understand it, the Android devices that support dual voice and data are 1) SVDO capable, and 2) have 2 antennas -- one for CDMA/EVDO, one for LTE.

LTE does not support voice at all, so the way it works is, when your data is pulled down via LTE, you can still use voice over the CDMA/EVDO antenna.

When you're not in an LTE coverage area, SVDO enables simultaneous voice and data. (One of the iPhone 5 videos says that it supports SVDO, but the announcements haven't mentioned that it's still capable of the dual voice/data.)

In any event, Apple put the LTE and CDMA/EVDO together on one antenna, to save space, weight, and battery. As a result, there can't be dual voice/data while connected to LTE -- at least, not until LTE supports voice, which it will some day.

The real question will be, since the 5 allegedly supports SVDO, is whether you can get dual voice/data over 3G/EVDO.

Guess we'll see.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
unfortunately it looks like it is.

As I understand it, the Android devices that support dual voice and data are 1) SVDO capable, and 2) have 2 antennas -- one for CDMA/EVDO, one for LTE.

LTE does not support voice at all, so the way it works is, when your data is pulled down via LTE, you can still use voice over the CDMA/EVDO antenna.

When you're not in an LTE coverage area, SVDO enables simultaneous voice and data. (One of the iPhone 5 videos says that it supports SVDO, but the announcements haven't mentioned that it's still capable of the dual voice/data.)

In any event, Apple put the LTE and CDMA/EVDO together on one antenna, to save space, weight, and battery. As a result, there can't be dual voice/data while connected to LTE -- at least, not until LTE supports voice, which it will some day.

The real question will be, since the 5 allegedly supports SVDO, is whether you can get dual voice/data over 3G/EVDO.

Guess we'll see.

You're spot on with one caveat: The towers have to be SVDO capable... I don't believe Verizon got around to doing a lot of their towers to make SVDO work - I think they decided to forgo SVDO upgrades in favor of LTE deployment.

Sarlic

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Sigh. Figures. Well, a buddy of mine who owns a Thunderbolt says he's able to get dual voice/data, even with LTE turned off. He lives in New Jersey, near Cherry Hill.

Maybe Verizon upgraded some of the towers around Philly.

Maybe.

ab304945

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Speculation... it's a battery consideration - keeping two radios lit up would kill battery.

revised: per the NY Times via Mac Rumors, Apple says it's an antennae thing... they opted not to include a 3rd antenna that would facilitate talk&surf.

works fine on my gs3

apple will include it in the iphone 5s and say its a new feature

ab304945

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Sigh. Figures. Well, a buddy of mine who owns a Thunderbolt says he's able to get dual voice/data, even with LTE turned off. He lives in New Jersey, near Cherry Hill.

Maybe Verizon upgraded some of the towers around Philly.

Maybe.

I am on sprint with the gs3. dont have LTE in my area yet. only 3g, and voice and data work at the same time.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
works fine on my gs3

apple will include it in the iphone 5s and say its a new feature

Not likely. By the time there's a new iPhone, Voice over LTE should be supported by carriers and Apple will have updated the iOS to support it, and the issue will no longer exist.

fmflex

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Have been looking at gs3 today on YouTube. Seems nice. Any of you used it? Thoughts, ideas, reviews? Seems like if I do decide to go that route, over iPhone 5, gs3 will be it.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Have been looking at gs3 today on YouTube. Seems nice. Any of you used it? Thoughts, ideas, reviews? Seems like if I do decide to go that route, over iPhone 5, gs3 will be it.

I'm not saying this to be a smart a$$. But you should really check out Android Central. You'll get more feedback and info there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2