iPhone 5 pre-ordering question

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I am currently not due for an upgrade, but my sister who is on my family plan is. Will I be able to pre-order the iPhone 5 online using my sister's upgrade for myself? If so, can I do it on Apple.com or will it have to be thru ATT's website? Thanks in advance

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You would have to use her information including number on either Apple's or AT&T's web site.

Right, so then since she will be getting a new 2-year contract, will she have to get the mandatory data plan, or is there anyway to by-pass that mandatory data plan since I'm getting an iPhone...thanks again

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Right, so then since she will be getting a new 2-year contract, will she have to get the mandatory data plan, or is there anyway to by-pass that mandatory data plan since I'm getting an iPhone...thanks again

No way around it. Perhaps you could call and try to explain the situation but then again you can't call in to pre order. That has to be done online.

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
No way around it. Perhaps you could call and try to explain the situation but then again you can't call in to pre order. That has to be done online.

Would I be able to cancel the data plan after a month, when they see that she is not using a smartphone or is just gonna stay bc of the 2-year contract...my only other option would be to just go get the iPhone 5 in store on Sep. 21st and do the upgrade switch right?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Would I be able to cancel the data plan after a month, when they see that she is not using a smartphone or is just gonna stay bc of the 2-year contract...my only other option would be to just go get the iPhone 5 in store on Sep. 21st and do the upgrade switch right?

If you wait until it's available in store you can go in and explain what you want to do, and they can get it done without anything weird happening.

cableguy619

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
basically the contract is on the number, so if you swap phones and say switch the other phone to a flip phone, etc you are covered. You have compelte control for the most part with your plan on ATT a slong as it fits on the guidelines.

Best bet as stated is go into ATT and have them assist you on it. believe me you are not the only one that will do what you plan on doing lol

jaguar11

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
basically the contract is on the number, so if you swap phones and say switch the other phone to a flip phone, etc you are covered. You have compelte control for the most part with your plan on ATT a slong as it fits on the guidelines.

Best bet as stated is go into ATT and have them assist you on it. believe me you are not the only one that will do what you plan on doing lol

Yeah, seems like I have to go to ATT to get the situation fixed up. I don't like ordering with ATT, bc they always seem to take forever to have new iPhones in stock.