What wil take to get you to upgrade?

What will it take in order for you to upgrade?

• Total voters

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I read their is a chance it could be waterproof, not sure on how legit the article was but if true I will try and upgrade simply for that

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Dumb, I might have to find an Android device for work then, I need a smartphone that has a notification light, no way will I buy another expensive phone and sign another 2 year contract for a phone without one. Makes a lot of sense for people that need their phones for work, not everybody just plays video games and uses Facebook all day on them.

Now that has me wondering what would be a good Android phone to buy that has one? Has to be on Sprint..

When I think about how rigid Apple is with the iPhone and iOS, doesn't that go against Apple's core principle's? They won't add useful things such as a notification light because of some new thinking that change is bad?

Is it really any different than Apple saying they will never use a physical keyboard? Honestly, the LED is not a big deal to me. It's on the Galaxy Nexus and it aggravates me more than anything. Sure it blinks but the only time I really want it to blink is from text messages. Well it blinks for emails as well and you can't shut that off. You can shut it off for texts though. Makes no sense. One of the many little annoyances in ICS.

CavemanOOGA

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Why is a notification light such a huge deal for people?

Like everyone else in the country, notification light or not, your going to be constantly checking your phone over and over again for one reason or another, anyway.

It's quicker to just go ahead and turn on the screen to see if there are any messages there, than it is to wait for the notification light to blink.

I don't know, I try to understand most people's views on gripes and wants... But I just don't get this one.

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
As much as I'd love to do an annual upgrade, Sprint no longer supports that. Plus, if the iPhone 5 is 4G LTE, Sprint won't have LTE deployed any time soon. So I will have to wait for the iPhone 5s in 2013.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
As much as I'd love to do an annual upgrade, Sprint no longer supports that. Plus, if the iPhone 5 is 4G LTE, Sprint won't have LTE deployed any time soon. So I will have to wait for the iPhone 5s in 2013.

I don't like Sprint's rules, that's why I have 2 lines! :D

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't like Sprint's rules, that's why I have 2 lines! :D

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Is having 2 lines really more cost effective than just paying the full retail price for the phone you want?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Is it really any different than Apple saying they will never use a physical keyboard? Honestly, the LED is not a big deal to me. It's on the Galaxy Nexus and it aggravates me more than anything. Sure it blinks but the only time I really want it to blink is from text messages. Well it blinks for emails as well and you can't shut that off. You can shut it off for texts though. Makes no sense. One of the many little annoyances in ICS.

I don't know, physical keyboards are useless and just one more thing to break.

I wonder if you can customize the notification light on the Nexus if you do whatever it is they do to "jailbreak" their phones??

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Why is a notification light such a huge deal for people?

It's a huge deal because for some people who cannot waste time checking their phones for one reason or another, just being able to glance at the phone to see if we need to go through the act of picking up our phones is a big time/battery saver. And can be a safety issue depending on what you're doing.

Like everyone else in the country, notification light or not, your going to be constantly checking your phone over and over again for one reason or another, anyway.

Do you not see what you just wrote? You just highlighted the problem, people are constantly checking their iPhones over and over and over again needlessly because there is no notification light to let you know you need to check for missed notifications!! With a notification light, you can just glance at the phone to see if you need to check it in the first place, saving wear and tear on the home button, and saving battery life since you'd no longer need to power up the phone gazillions of times a day to see if you missed something.

It's quicker to just go ahead and turn on the screen to see if there are any messages there, than it is to wait for the notification light to blink.

That makes no sense, how is it quicker to stop what you're doing, pick up the phone, and press the power/home button, than it is to just glance at the phone? Especially if you cannot just do so at work whenever you please so you have to wait, and do so needlessly if their isn't a missed call/message? With a notification light I'd no longer have to worry about it and not have to stop and check my phone constantly which is driving me nuts.

I don't know, I try to understand most people's views on gripes and wants... But I just don't get this one.

I think that's because you aren't actually considering what people are asking for when they talk about notification lights.

Apple's new notification center is great once you're in it, however, there's no way of knowing you have a missed notification unless you open it up, making it pretty half ass. A notification light and statusbar icon are necessary additions.

Skier1960

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
What new features on the next generation iPhone will it take for you to upgrade from your current device?

Ok so I know that you know that I know that you know what the screen size will be. So that's what I want and some sort of form factor change.

So to the OP what's the display size going to be?? I know that you know!!

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
Ok so I know that you know that I know that you know what the screen size will be. So that's what I want and some sort of form factor change.

So to the OP what's the display size going to be?? I know that you know!!

I'll tell you right now, 3.5 inches, with a re-designed case, same old home button and front glass, some minor internal spec boosts, and iOS 6 with some minor tweaks. Sorry, but if anyone expects anything big from Apple, they are dreaming..

Millions of people will buy it, but not me, my money goes to the company that truly innovates in 2012, not rests on past success..

greasemuntney

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I am holding out for the new iPhone. I want a bigger display, dual/quad core, more ram and 10 meg pixel camera. I held off getting the i4S to wait for the newer version. I also hope it has LTE/4G. I and my wife both are waiting for this. I am really excited and it is hard to wait but for now I am more than happy with my i4. To me the i4S was not a upgrade worth missing out on the next version. I just hope it is released in June or July and not October or November. But still going to wait.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you right now, 3.5 inches, with a re-designed case, same old home button and front glass, some minor internal spec boosts, and iOS 6 with some minor tweaks. Sorry, but if anyone expects anything big from Apple, they are dreaming..

Millions of people will buy it, but not me, my money goes to the company that truly innovates in 2012, not rests on past success..

So what is exactly innovative in the smartphone world? What's out there that already hasn't been done? What would be groundbreaking to the scene?

redbeard

Mar 21, 2009
Visit site
So what is exactly innovative in the smartphone world? What's out there that already hasn't been done? What would be groundbreaking to the scene?

The iPhone 4 was innovative and groundbreaking, the 4s was not, there is always room for improvement and innovation, when you stop, you become BlackBerry. Think about it, where can Apple go from the 4/4s? I can think of many things, some of these things are already being done by the competition. I really do not want to be forced to get a phone from anyone other than Apple, but if they stop innovating then oh well. Apple also has more talented minds working for them, and more cash than any company on the planet, so yes, I expect a little innovation and things never seen before. They've done it before and they can do it again.

Last edited:

rich67

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, was the iPhone ever really "cutting edge"? Think about it. When all the Android guys were making their screens larger, bumping processor speed and introducing 4G, iPhone was always just....well....there. They didn't compete by following in the footsteps of those companies. They stuck to their roots and made phones and an iOS that just plain WORKS. As an Android guy, my opinion was the iPhone was antiquated. I didn't make the jump earlier because of it. I thought of Apple as the company who made the computer I used for work and hated. But I got sick of my home PC always updating, crashing, and getting viruses. So I got a Mac, and love it. Then, I got tired of my Droid turning off for no reason, overheating, apps crashing or working slowly, and despite the processor speed, it seemed slow. So I switched to iPhone, and I'll never go back after seeing how flawlessly it operates for me.
The thing about innovation is a company making something that WORKS instead of churning out crap year after year that has so many issues you want to chuck it out the window. Small updates to change things like allowing you to delete individual photos in the stream shows they listen to their users and try to adapt to make people happy. Their customer service proves that. Try getting the same level of service from Dell or Motorola like you get at the Genius Bar or over the phone. Innovation doesn't always means making the same crap your competition turns out. It means being different but making sure you have a quality product to begin with.

Reactions: DaPhoneking

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I chose bigger display, still want and need a 4" display, if they can rework the phsyical device size and get the bigger display then I'm cool with that. I would have selected all of the above, but quad core isn't a big demand for me, LTE wasn't listed and while we are clearly expecting it nothing is a given and Apple could easily roll out yet another 3G only iPhone and the masses will still buy it (sad but true).

So LTE, bump in screen, remove the home button and perhaps save a small amount of space at the bottom for a slide to home feature

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't like Sprint's rules, that's why I have 2 lines!

I would upgrade no matter what it has. I have an extra line just so I can get a new iPhone every year.

I'm not sure that I understand that concept... The extra line is at a minimum $10/month = $240 on a 2 year contract (plus taxes)... and the required data plans are $25-30/month = $600+ on a 2 year contract (plus tax)... so that's a minimum of $840 plus tax to get a $300 discount on the phone... and that doesn't include a texting plan...

What am I missing here?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
It's a huge deal because for some people who cannot waste time checking their phones for one reason or another, just being able to glance at the phone to see if we need to go through the act of picking up our phones is a big time/battery saver. And can be a safety issue depending on what you're doing.

Do you not see what you just wrote? You just highlighted the problem, people are constantly checking their iPhones over and over and over again needlessly because there is no notification light to let you know you need to check for missed notifications!! With a notification light, you can just glance at the phone to see if you need to check it in the first place, saving wear and tear on the home button, and saving battery life since you'd no longer need to power up the phone gazillions of times a day to see if you missed something.

That makes no sense, how is it quicker to stop what you're doing, pick up the phone, and press the power/home button, than it is to just glance at the phone? Especially if you cannot just do so at work whenever you please so you have to wait, and do so needlessly if their isn't a missed call/message? With a notification light I'd no longer have to worry about it and not have to stop and check my phone constantly which is driving me nuts.

I think that's because you aren't actually considering what people are asking for when they talk about notification lights.

Apple's new notification center is great once you're in it, however, there's no way of knowing you have a missed notification unless you open it up, making it pretty half ass. A notification light and statusbar icon are necessary additions.

OMG... here we go again... {running for cover under my desk}

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure that I understand that concept... The extra line is at a minimum $10/month = $240 on a 2 year contract (plus taxes)... and the required data plans are $25-30/month = $600+ on a 2 year contract (plus tax)... so that's a minimum of $840 plus tax to get a $300 discount on the phone... and that doesn't include a texting plan...

What am I missing here?
He may transfer the upgrade from the secondary line to his primary line. He could also have a non-smartphone as the add a line for $9.99 a month just so he can get the upgrade.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77