iPhone 4S and lack of free memory

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
So I'm having an issue and I'm noticing I have a lack of memory available to me. This is with "Podcasts" running and "iPhone Optimizer" Check out the screen shot please. Also when my 4S is connected to iTunes I'm noticing 1.90 GB for "Other" Why is that happening? I've noticed this "Other" came into play with iOS 6. the storage seems to grow over time. very odd...

Attachments

• Pastebot 2012-12-16 22.26.21 PM.png
    Pastebot 2012-12-16 22.26.21 PM.png
    210.1 KB · Views: 82

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
The Other Memory is OS space and if you by any chance have not updated to iOS 6.0.1, it is being held in Other memory until you update. Make sure there are no apps running in the background. Always double tap the home button to close all the open apps you are not using to free up resources

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
What do you mean for email? Its on a server.

your on a server to push the emails to both your mail client and phone. once they are pushed to your phone i believe they take up space on your phone. if you have emails with fairly large attachments it will take up space in more of the hard drive rather than the ram.

SaberSerene

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I see. I have it set to manual. So I should only have the default show 50 recent messages? This is already set. I'll say it again I didn't have this issue with iOS 5. It is an issue with iOS 6

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Other has been around on iOS so you may have just noticed it now or started using apps with lots of Data but it is not something that came in iOS 6. Other holds data from apps, like game saves, saved notes, local maps in Maps apps, etc. So it will grow the more things you save to the ☎.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I see. I have it set to manual. So I should only have the default show 50 recent messages? This is already set. I'll say it again I didn't have this issue with iOS 5. It is an issue with iOS 6

Have you thought about reverting back to ios5 if its a big difference maker to you?

Sent from my game boy color

mhakhot

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
your on a server to push the emails to both your mail client and phone. once they are pushed to your phone i believe they take up space on your phone. if you have emails with fairly large attachments it will take up space in more of the hard drive rather than the ram.

So, how can I clean up the Wired memory using?
Or only reset my iPhone?
However many thanks for your information.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't downgrade. Its not possible

I believe there is a way that someone told me once. It involved downloading the file for 5.1.1 from someone who saved it on a hard drive and then wiping your device.

I'm not an avid in depth iOS user but I do remember someone In my travels telling me about that.

Sent using Tapatalk

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
As far as the RAM (memory) is concerned, my understanding is that any apps you run will take up RAM, and simply exiting will not free it up. The OS keeps it in memory (but usually not running any processes, unless it's one of the few apps that are permitted to run certain processes in the background (Skype, etc.)) so the next time you launch it, the app launches faster. If other apps need the RAM, the OS will free up that RAM. (Essentially, if it cannot be used for another process, might as well have it hold recently used apps.) All this is supposed to be transparent to the user (in theory). You can manually "end task" these apps to free up some memory if you open up the task manager, and remove them from the list. It will not free everything. Memory management is supposed to be handled by the OS and not require user interaction (again, in theory). It generally works well as most apps are not permitted to run in the background and are sandboxed.

If you frequently run into issues with crashing apps, etc., then the best course of action is to wipe the device, set up as new, and reload everything from scratch. This process will delete all data including text/iMessage messages, game history in games (have to start Angry Birds from the beginning), and anything stored locally by apps. Generally, I always do this with each major OS update, but I admit it is a pain in the neck to get everything loaded back in (and losing text messages, etc., is kind of a bummer). Restoring from a backup could just restore whatever data/configuration/etc. that is causing your issue. But if you do perform a wipe/setup as new/reload, you will essentially be setting up your phone as if you just got your first new iPhone with nothing on it. All data will be gone. If that does not fix various apps crashes, you either have to find the offending app or make an appointment with Apple.

As far as the storage goes, I've been told the "other" can be stored data from any number of apps (I think Safari cache, etc., are included in there). The only way I've been able to get this number down is to do the wipe/setup as new/reload procedure (and as I start using my apps, it fills up anyway).

wonderemmah

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
i am having iphone 4s which memory capacity indicated to me as 64GB,but when ever i try to download a file or receive a file from bluetooth then it will deny the file showing there is no enough space on the memory mean while there is no file on it to judge that the memory is full,please what can i do?

RoboWarrior

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
i am having iphone 4s which memory capacity indicated to me as 64GB,but when ever i try to download a file or receive a file from bluetooth then it will deny the file showing there is no enough space on the memory mean while there is no file on it to judge that the memory is full,please what can i do?

What are you trying to send over Bluetooth? I believe Bluetooth on iOS is only useful for syncing certain forms of information (airplay, ibeacon, etc) and audio. Third party apps may enable other abilities but Apple is extremely restrictive with sending information over Bluetooth. Your not going to send files over Bluetooth unless you have a iPhone 5+ which has Airdrop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2