Home Button has some play...

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
One at the AT&T had some obvious play in it when you wiggle your thumb on it left to right. My brand new 4S seems to have this too, but not very bad. I can get it to do it when my thumb is really clean and my home button is free of grease. My iPad doesn't have any play in it. My friends iPhone 4S also has no play, but my other friends does. The button is by no means defective as it works fine. It is NOT wiggling or loose when I press it. You have to deliberately take your thumb and move the home button left to rig or right to left.

Other than that my IPhone is perfect. Just wondering if anyone else has this? I refuse to take back a perfectly working phone.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Mine does not wiggle like what you've described in any direction at all. If your phone is a great running phone I say leave it be and don't wiggle it lol. OR maybe take it to a tech shop and have them fix or replace just the button or if you can do this at the Apple store, so that you can keep the perfect running device you have but maybe solve the wiggly button issue:)

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I don't think mine is defective. I'm extremely OCD when it comes to my things. Your average person wouldn't have noticed this. The Apple Store would replace the entire phone and not open it up. They told me that. It would then be refurbished.

EDIT: Found this website for repairs

Repair Services ? iPhone iPod iPad Repair | Professional Apple Repair Services

Their location is about 10 mins away.

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My doesn't wiggle nor does my wifes. If its brand new, why don't you just exchange it?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but I don't want a refurbished iPhone. Just bought it new. I called and that's what they said they would do. Swap it for a refurbished one.

Mine is swapped and better than it was new. Looks brand new. So you would rather have somebody take it apart and attempt to fix? I wouldn't.

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
One at the AT&T had some obvious play in it when you wiggle your thumb on it left to right. My brand new 4S seems to have this too, but not very bad. I can get it to do it when my thumb is really clean and my home button is free of grease. My iPad doesn't have any play in it. My friends iPhone 4S also has no play, but my other friends does. The button is by no means defective as it works fine. It is NOT wiggling or loose when I press it. You have to deliberately take your thumb and move the home button left to rig or right to left.

Other than that my IPhone is perfect. Just wondering if anyone else has this? I refuse to take back a perfectly working phone.

A couple of the girls I used to work with had some wiggle in their home buttons (Verizon iPhone 4) - they brought their phones to me since I was the resident nerd. I did a little research whenever this happened (it's probably been almost 1.5 years by now) and it was "normal." I'd say if it's still responsive and working properly you have nothing to worry about (however, I would be OCD about that too haha).

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
A couple of the girls I used to work with had some wiggle in their home buttons (Verizon iPhone 4) - they brought their phones to me since I was the resident nerd. I did a little research whenever this happened (it's probably been almost 1.5 years by now) and it was "normal." I'd say if it's still responsive and working properly you have nothing to worry about (however, I would be OCD about that too haha).

I think many people have a slightly loose home button and don't even realize it. As I said in my OG post, its by no means defective.

I can live with this, but I am going to take it to this iFixit place tomorrow and ask them what they can do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2