Verizon iPhone 4S Caller ID Bug

danib62

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this bug with the iPhone 4S on VZW. If you enable the SIM PIN and then restart your phone your phone will no longer match numbers from your call log, messages or incoming calls with the names of the people in your contacts. I did find a fix though. Anyways if someone can test this for me I'm trying to see if it's just me of it's widespread.

Steps to recreate:

1) Enable SIM PIN in the phone settings menu (the default verizon SIM PIN if you haven't set your own yet is "1111")
2) Restart iPhone
3) If prompted after restart enter your SIM PIN
4) Check you call logs and messages: the names of contacts are no longer displayed but just the numbers

Steps to fix:

1) dial *228
2) press 1 to program the phone
3) kill the phone and messaging apps in the fast app switcher
4) restart iphone
5) sometimes it takes a minute or two to fix itself

The only lingering issue which is fairly annoying after this fix is if you started any messaging threads the new one will have the name while the old one has the number and iphone won't merge them back together. I'm also curious to see if the sprint 4S issue as I think it's related to the interplay between a CDMA network and using a SIM PIN.

Reactions: markm

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
The SIM is inactive in the US since VZW is CDMA ... Not GSM .... I don't see how this has anything to do with the caller id

danib62

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
That's only partially true. The SIM does come alive when it can't pick up a Verizon signal. This comes into play mostly for international roaming (Verizon doesn't have domestic gsm roaming agreements). Either way these are the steps I've taken I produce this bug. I'd be interested in seeing if someone else can reproduce it (or run the same sequence and not reproduce it).

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The below workaround that I found on the Internet worked like a charm and i haven't had the problem since.

Go to Settings-General-International-language and then change from English to any other
language. After the pinwheel finish spinning and your language is changed, repeat the
process and change back to English.
The iMessage contact should now properly display names (if they're in your address book)
instead of phone numbers.

markm

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I had just rebooted for the first time after enabling a SIM PIN and just read this thread because the subject caught my eye. I hadn't actually realized I was having this issue until I read danib62's post, but same symptoms here -- both recent calls and message showed numbers only. I did the *228 option 1 and waited a few minutes and now everything is back. Interesting. Something doesn't like having a PIN on the SIM.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I had just rebooted for the first time after enabling a SIM PIN and just read this thread because the subject caught my eye. I hadn't actually realized I was having this issue until I read danib62's post, but same symptoms here -- both recent calls and message showed numbers only. I did the *228 option 1 and waited a few minutes and now everything is back. Interesting. Something doesn't like having a PIN on the SIM.

I normally reboot my phone once a month with no issue - i've had it since Nov. & i'm on 5.0.1 This morn was my scheduled reboot, and when my phone came back up, the same thing happened - calls/texts showed up as numbers only AND all of my ringtones reset themselves to defaults as well as my battery percentage turned itself OFF. This is the first time it happened to me, but i knew to do the *228 opt 1. and all was fixed. I just had to go back and reset my rt's and turn on my batt percent. Hopefully it won't happen next time because its a PITA to try to rem what rt's i had set:p lol.

I'm guessing this is a glitch, but, I'm just curious - does anyone know why or what causes this to happen?

I also just want to add, normally i'm home when i do a reboot with great signal. Today when i did the reboot i was out and the area i was in was not a great signal - perhaps that could be why it reset my calls & texts to number form only - even though my addy book was fully intact ???

(i know theres another thread around here somewhere,on this but i could not locate it doing a search with different phrases)

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Why have a sim pin in a phone that don't use a sim to get service ? .. By pass pull the sim phone still works lol

I bet it displays wrong because it's made for international and it's looking for a country code or something

I have seen this issue happen with nothing to do with a sim but 228 fixes it

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Why have a sim pin in a phone that don't use a sim to get service ? .. By pass pull the sim phone still works lol

I bet it displays wrong because it's made for international and it's looking for a country code or something

I have seen this issue happen with nothing to do with a sim but 228 fixes it

:)was the sim comment to me Peligro...if so i dont use a sim card. i forgot to leave that out. In fact, IDEK if my phone has one installed in it-i never opened it up to check.(i'm in the usa on verizon)

edit: oh nm, i didnt pay attention to the thread fully, lol. i see your comment for the sim was directed towards those that were enabling it on their phone --- i had a d'oh! moment:eek:

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
:)was the sim comment to me Peligro...if so i dont use a sim card. i forgot to leave that out. In fact, IDEK if my phone has one installed in it-i never opened it up to check.(i'm in the usa on verizon)

edit: oh nm, i didnt pay attention to the thread fully, lol. i see your comment for the sim was directed towards those that were enabling it on their phone --- i had a d'oh! moment:eek:

Ha ha :)

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Ha ha :)

:D lol.

Hey, guess what? While the reboot reset some of my rt's & other stuff etc on my phone, I also noticed it took away the "1" on my setting icon for the software notification update OTA that's avail!! I wonder how long the "1" will be gone for before it pops back up lol. We shall see!