Hi Eveyone:

Before upgrading the operating system on my 4s, I had no battery drain issue. Guess what?

After upgrading to 5.0.1, my battery now drains extremely fast. It was at 88% last night and when I awoke this morning it was at 44%. After typing 1 email, it went down to 37%. I have not played any games, surfed the web, etc.

The setting were not changed. No bluetooth or wifi were on for example. What is going on?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Any suggestions?

Update: I just typed another email of 4 sentences and drained another 5%. This is crazy. I am very mad!
    Last edited by ekneeiphone; 11-13-2011 at 08:51 AM.
    11-13-2011 08:34 AM
    I haven't upgraded to 5.0.1 for this exact reason. I have a good battery, and don't want that to change. Good luck. Hopefully there is a change.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    11-13-2011 08:37 AM
    I'm staying away from .1 too. I don't have any problems with battery life. I did update my ipad 2 just to cover that smart cover - lock screen issue tho.
    11-13-2011 08:45 AM
    Hi Eveyone:

Before upgrading the operating system on my 4s, I had no battery drain issue. Guess what?

After upgrading to 5.0.1, my battery now drains extremely fast. It was at 88% last night and when I awoke this morning it was at 44%. After typing 1 email, it went down to 37%. I have not played any games, surfed the web, etc.

The setting were not changed. No bluetooth or wifi were on for example. What is going on?

Any suggestions?

Update: I just typed another email of 4 sentences and drained another 5%. This is crazy. I am very mad!
    Backup to iCloud, do a restore in iTunes, restore backup from iCloud. That fixed it for me.
    11-13-2011 09:35 AM
    Backup to iCloud, do a restore in iTunes, restore backup from iCloud. That fixed it for me.
    Can't do it that way. Can't use icloud for calendar, contacts, etc. It s on work computer with windows xp and synching with outlook. In addition, Outlook synchs to a legal practice management software. Would create dupicates.

Also, can't use exchange.
    11-13-2011 01:26 PM
    Hi Eveyone:

Any suggestions?

I just spent 4 hours on phone with applecare troubleshooting incl. reset to factory. It didnt work. They told me another patch will come out. I said how do I know my phone battery will work better then. Dont want to reload everything and rest after patch and be back at square one, wasting that many hours again. now have to replace phone. Trying to get an appointment within a reasonable time to pick up replacement.

My intial impressions of Apple are dead wrong. They s--k. I can't go into apple to a replacement phone without an appointment and when I go in with my appointment there may not be a phone available. The last hour is just tring to set up an appointment to replace the phone.

This is worse than dealing with the US government.

When I bought my phones from my carrier, Verizon, if I had to replace a phone or any part, I would just walk in and they would replace it.
    11-13-2011 01:51 PM
    Constrained availability of a phone makes it tough to just have extra units laying around for replacements.
    11-13-2011 05:04 PM
    maybe you should just go into Verizon and have them replace it it's much easier and faster
    11-13-2011 06:38 PM
    This is exactly what I did and it corrected the problem...
    11-13-2011 08:24 PM
    Hi Eveyone:

Any suggestions?

Pretty much what I'm seeing.The phone got through the work day fine before but now doesn't get through a weekend day. I was going to wait and see how it did during the work week, but I am very concerned.

Hopefully the patch to the patch will come out soon.

Update: Took the plunge and backed up to icloud, factory reset and then loaded back up. Everything came back as it was and battery life seems back to the same as 5.0. Worth it.
    Last edited by Jimpilot; 11-14-2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Update
    11-13-2011 08:30 PM
    Fixed it for me too !
    11-13-2011 09:17 PM
    Fixed it for me too !
    Will doing a "restore" keep or discard setting made in apps such as Reminders? What about other downloaded apps and their settings.. will these be retained?

I guess the simpler question would be, by doing a "restore' using iTunes, what apps/data/information gets wiped out and what gets saved either through iTunes or iCloud?

I use Google for my Calendar, Contacts and Emails...
    reltm likes this.
    11-13-2011 09:23 PM
    5.0.1 has been pretty good for me. Almost get a day and a half before I have to charge.
    11-13-2011 09:43 PM
    I'd get a replacement, that much from sending an email? Dannnggg!
    11-13-2011 10:06 PM
    No problems here. I upgraded from itunes though which downloaded the full OS. Perhaps this is a glitch from upgrading from the phone itself which only offered the delta upgrade?
    Last edited by cardfan; 11-13-2011 at 11:26 PM.
    11-13-2011 10:52 PM
    No problem here actually I never had a problem seems to have a better battery life now
    kenhiraihnl likes this.
    11-14-2011 09:43 AM
    Did not have a problem before the patch. Downloaded it and battery life seems better. One thing however...I ALWAYS fully shut down apps after I close them. I've seen friends that have 20+ apps running in the background (they don't automatically shut down when you press the home button to close them) and some of them can suck battery power even when you think they're not running.

Double click the home button, and a row of apps will appear at the bottom of the screen. These are all running in the background. Hold on any one of them, and "-" signs will appear on each of them, and they'll wiggle. Tap the minus sign on each app you want to fully shut down. Betcha dollars to donuts that your battery life will improve.
    11-14-2011 09:55 AM
    11-14-2011 10:02 AM
    No problem here actually I never had a problem seems to have a better battery life now
    +1! I've always made sure that no apps are running when the phone locks. I also turn off BT when I'm not using it. My wife has BT in her Mini, and I notice that she never turns the BT off in her 4s. Last night I watched a volleyball match on TV, and took my 4s out of my pocket to check my email inbox. It was showing 100% charge. I thought the batt indicator was broken. 5.0.1 works.
    11-14-2011 01:35 PM
    Will doing a "restore" keep or discard setting made in apps such as Reminders? What about other downloaded apps and their settings.. will these be retained?

I guess the simpler question would be, by doing a "restore' using iTunes, what apps/data/information gets wiped out and what gets saved either through iTunes or iCloud?

I use Google for my Calendar, Contacts and Emails...
    Make sure you sync to iCloud and restore the device and then you restore from backup from iCloud
    Rockdog97 likes this.
    11-14-2011 01:44 PM
    I didn't have the problem before the update and I don't have it after... Knock on wood. Hope they fix it for you in the next update.

Hi Eveyone:

Any suggestions?

11-14-2011 03:53 PM
    I just spent 4 hours on phone with applecare troubleshooting incl. reset to factory. It didnt work. They told me another patch will come out. I said how do I know my phone battery will work better then. Dont want to reload everything and rest after patch and be back at square one, wasting that many hours again. now have to replace phone. Trying to get an appointment within a reasonable time to pick up replacement.

My intial impressions of Apple are dead wrong. They s--k. I can't go into apple to a replacement phone without an appointment and when I go in with my appointment there may not be a phone available. The last hour is just tring to set up an appointment to replace the phone.

This is worse than dealing with the US government.

When I bought my phones from my carrier, Verizon, if I had to replace a phone or any part, I would just walk in and they would replace it.
    Update:

Was able to get an early morning appointment in AppleStore this morning to swap phones. It took the tech almost 1 1/2 hours just to do a simple activation of the phone on Verizon. The biggest time problem was that the replacement phone did not come with a SIM card and I had to use the original card for my new phone. The problem was the SIM card from my original iphone wouldn't activate in the new phone. Finally the apple tech called Verizon and they walked him through it.

By the way, two problems with the AppleCare tech support senior supervisor who helped me yesterday.
    First, was that he was dead wrong in that an appointment would be set up without potential replacement phones. The applestore reps told me he had no clue what he was talking about.

Second, the rep failed to help me create a backup before he wiped my phone on my office computer. I discovered this when I tried to connect the replacement phone to my office computer (which contains conacts, calendars, etc)and restore from backup. I could have lost all my settings, etc.
    Luckily, I had created a backup on Saturday morning when I installed 5.0.1 using my laptop containing my media library.

More importantly, although I am seeing a nice improvement over my original phone with the update, it is still not giving me as good battery life when i was merely using the original 5.0.(I am down to 63% battey with moderate use since it was fully charged 6 hours ago). Most of the time in my office wifi was not connected and bluetooth was on for maybe a half-hour.

The only good news with the replacement phone is that it came loaded with 5.0.1 and supposedly it goes through extensive testing before it leaves the factory, so hopefully i will not experience other issues.

The bottom line: the devil you know is often better than the one you don't!!!
    11-14-2011 05:46 PM
    My battery was fine before the update...but i have noticed the battery life a bit lower afterwards. I hope this isn't a trend that continues.
    11-14-2011 06:18 PM
    Just read this earlier. Might be of interested to some of you.
    (cant post links yet sorry)
    hxxp://gizmodo.com/5859278/the-iphone-4s-battery-problem-is-probably-not-because-of-faulty-hardware
    11-14-2011 06:25 PM
    I'm also lucky in that the battery life seems decent before and after the update. I was pretty nervous to update for reasons mentioned earlier.

I'm also a bit anal about killing wi-fi or even 3G here at home if there's no point in having it on. Also, this sounds basic but I'm wondering how many folks with power issues find themselves in areas with crappy signals which destroys a battery. Where I work, for example, Sprint inside the building is horrible and if you left any phone on through a 12 hour shift it would be close to dead even if you walked in with a full charge.
    11-14-2011 07:02 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD