Battery life issues?

Dark_Blu

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
I turned of Push mail and it nearly doubled my battery life. I used all of the other suggestions but turning off Push mail did the most to preserve my battery.

Lamartek

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Horrible Battery Life

Like otheres the battery life on my 4S is horrible compared to my 4. Both were running iOS5, so operating system is not the culprit. Have not setup or used SIRI so that is not it either. If the issue is not solved inthe next 2 weeks it is going back to APPLE. I hope a large group of people raise H*LL and make APPLE toe the line. Steve Jobs woudl not be pleased.:mad:

eyemakerz

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
So last night, at around 3am, I unplugged my 4S and plugged in my iPad. When I woke up, my iPhone was down to 85%. Is anyone else experiencing this type of battery usage? My old iPhone would only be down to 98% when I did this before.

I can understand that during the day I a,using it a lot, but not when I'm asleep. Thoughts?

-John

Here are few iPhone 4s battery life tips to increase it.

1). Turn off push notifications ? Push notifications consumes lots of iPhone 4s battery, turn it off to save battery.

2). Turn off push e-mail ? Turning off push e-mail will also help you save lots of battery life. If not necessary turn it off.

3). Turn off radios those are not in use ? Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS while you are not using iPhone.

4). Stop background tasks ? While iPhone 4s is multitasking, you should stop encounter apps that eat up battery by polling the Internet in the background.

5). Set display brightness to auto adjust ? Set display brightness to auto adjust to save battery life.

6). Turn of Vibration ? You should turn of vibration while playing game in iPhone 4s.

7). Use battery case ? Use iPhone 4s batter y case.

8). Sync iPhone periodically ? Make practice of Sync iPhone periodically, which will increase your iPhone 4?s battery life.

9) Turn off apps that use location services. Such location services apps run in background and can quickly drain the battery. Go to settings > General > Location Services and select the apps for which you want to disable this feature.

10) Check out Internet tethering on your iPhone that seems to be persistently attempting to establish a connection. Go to Settings > Network, select ?Internet Tethering?, and tap on ?Cancel? to stop it. Turn WiFi off and back on again so you can stop the tethering connection attempts.

gonzoguy24

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

1). Turn off push notifications ? Push notifications consumes lots of iPhone 4s battery, turn it off to save battery.

2). Turn off push e-mail ? Turning off push e-mail will also help you save lots of battery life. If not necessary turn it off.

3). Turn off radios those are not in use ? Turn off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS while you are not using iPhone.

4). Stop background tasks ? While iPhone 4s is multitasking, you should stop encounter apps that eat up battery by polling the Internet in the background.

5). Set display brightness to auto adjust ? Set display brightness to auto adjust to save battery life.

6). Turn of Vibration ? You should turn of vibration while playing game in iPhone 4s.

8). Sync iPhone periodically ? Make practice of Sync iPhone periodically, which will increase your iPhone 4?s battery life.

9) Turn off apps that use location services. Such location services apps run in background and can quickly drain the battery. Go to settings > General > Location Services and select the apps for which you want to disable this feature.

10) Check out Internet tethering on your iPhone that seems to be persistently attempting to establish a connection. Go to Settings > Network, select ?Internet Tethering?, and tap on ?Cancel? to stop it. Turn WiFi off and back on again so you can stop the tethering connection attempts.

You can turn your phone off too. That would maximize battery life.

The point is some people had all of this ON with their iphone 4 and had much better battery life. The answer is not to turn it all off.

I am having worse battery life even with turning several things off. I am sure apple will address the issue in time. No worries.

symtronic

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site

I would submit that reducing functionality of the phone is not a solution...

kimmykimmy

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Try 'restore settings' (which doesn't wipe the phone: General > Reset > Reset All Settings), disabled the usual notifications and location services then used 'Battery Doctor Pro' to do a charge with trickle charge.

iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPad2, Travel International Motorola (At&t,T-Mobile and SmartFree Quattro SIM) iSip from InTouch SmartCards

asuprice

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I turned off all the Facebook Push notifications and am seeing a huge improvement in battery life. Almost double. I think Facebook is to blame.

LocoStrange

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site

You must have accidently clicked the wrong forum. This website is talking about iPhones, not Android phones.

larman2001

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Excellent! Now we own the equivalent of a Motorola RAZR ;)

symtronic

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
i dont use facebook, so thats not the issue for me.... even tried turning off the "time zone" thingy under the settings... hasnt made a bit of difference.

Off the charger at 730am this morning, one 2 minute phone call, 5 or 6 text messages and thats it... otherwise, phone is on my desk or in my pocket. I'm down to 31%.

cmpdblue

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I too have tried everything that I'm willing to try. I can't disable push email - I need that lol But it's something more that that. I unplugged my phone this morning with 100% charge. Got in my car and sat my phone in it's holder. Thought about sending a text and noticed that my phone had dropped to 98% in about 20 minutes with no usage.

I'm sure the folks at Apple know there's an issue and are working on identifying the problem and getting us a fix.

Lamartek

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
turning OFF Tethering

I noted the following:
"Check out Internet tethering on your iPhone that seems to be persistently attempting to establish a connection. Go to Settings > Network, select ?Internet Tethering?, and tap on ?Cancel? to stop it. Turn WiFi off and back on again so you can stop the tethering connection attempts"

I have the 4S with iOS5 and I do not see "Settings > Network, select ?Internet Tethering?,"

I do have Settings> General > Network but then there is no Thethering option. Is that becasue Tethering is NOT available in the USA or not available with ATT?

Pjr772

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 11342

This is from today. Multiple texts, few phone calls, email, tapatalk, notes, reminders and wifi. I am pretty happy with this. The only things I really have turned off are the weather widget, stock widget, Bluetooth, and most of the location settings.

shaun2011XD

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Just to point out something to you people. It is stated on the Apple website that the iPhone 4 standby time (300h) and wifi (10h) is much greater than the iPhone 4S (standby time 200h) (wifi 9h) so you should of knew this before you purchased the phone.

Think of it this way. The form factor (same depth, lenght and width) of the iPhone 4S is the same as the iPhone 4, therefore it is not possible to include a bigger battery. Due to the iPhone 4S having a Dual core processer vs the iPhone 4's single core processor. Even when idle in a low power state, 2 cores are still sucking up power from the 4S vs 1 on the iPhone 4 which only has 1 core sucking up its power.

The iPhone 4S's processor is basically 2 iPhone 4 processors stuck together with a few tweaks still placing more drain on the battery.

For people who mention Siri. I dont think Siri has anything 2 do with the battery drain on the iPhone for people saying that, as im sure her services are stopped when the iPhone 4S is put in idle mode (much like an app when its closed to allow app swiching).

People mentioning the iPad 2 this is NOT THE SAME it has a much bigger form factor than any iPhone therefore can have a MUCH BIGGER battery.

Last edited:

NoMoCentro

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday's 4S usage.........no calls, 6 incoming emails, no outgoing emails, two - 2 min. checks of the TV Guide app, two hours reading from Tomes with brightness set to the lowest manual level, 20 min. of IHeartRadio via G3 at low vol., alarm (motorcycle - med. vol.) w/ three snoozes = battery at 2% in just under 24 hours.

SETUP:
Notification Center -- Cal., mail, phone, msgs., reminders & Weather widget
Location on for -- IHeartRadio, Maps, Safari, Siri, Speed Test, Weather, Find My Phone
(only Cell Network search and Compass calibration ON)
Mail is set to Fetch every 30 minutes
Auto-bright at 50%

The biggest question I have about the iPhone right now......Just how far do I have to neuter my iPhone 4S to make it behave like a modern piece of electronic equipment, where the battery lasts longer than a single turning of the planet?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2