1 gb?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think Siri would work on the iPad 2, but they need something to justify the iPhone 4s. Really it is just an snappier phone with a better camera. This update is all about the OS and all the new features. Siri gives those users that will be spending $$ on launch something to make them special.

Reactions: zackawee27

AdamRoxby

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I was wondering, if the new iPhone doesn't have 1 GB of RAM then could Siri potentially work on some of the older devices?

Being dyslexic and spending most of my time writing with the aid of dictation software I personally think that Siri is the killer feature but am wondering if it is compelling enough to purchase?

What do you think?

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a few threads that SIRI requires 1GB of RAM. To say if thats true or not, I do not know.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It needs a connection back to the serves, and my understanding was it needs the extra CPU power (and perhaps memory) to handle the demands. I don't know for sure, but since a lot of users don't actually double tap the home button and close apps I would hope apple included more than a sufficient amount of RAM.

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
We won't know the answer to this question until Apple explains. What's interesting is that one group of people assume Apple is intentionally withholding a feature for no logical reason. You may not agree with why they do certain things (e.g. no Flash), but they do have a logical reason for their actions and it's not just to squeeze more dollars from loyal customers.

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I think Siri would work on the iPad 2, but they need something to justify the iPhone 4s. Really it is just an snappier phone with a better camera. This update is all about the OS and all the new features. Siri gives those users that will be spending $$ on launch something to make them special.

This is what I found on the developer part of this forum copied below

"Everything I've read from jailbreak boards seems to indicate the SIRI app is highly integrated into the root code of the iP4S - and written in such a way that the iP4S hardware is required, and a work-around to make it work on any other device than the iP4S is unlikely to happen any time soon, if at all."

So looks like it will take time but only be available for Iphone4 or Ipad2 in a jailbroken app. I don't see why it won't be possible. Siri was originally a app not owned by Apple in the App store that ran on the iphone4. I think its possible but might take a few months. If Apple didn't make the Siri advanced voice control a Iphone 4S specific program. They would lose a selling point for people to upgrade to the new Iphone4S.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
We won't know the answer to this question until Apple explains. What's interesting is that one group of people assume Apple is intentionally withholding a feature for no logical reason. You may not agree with why they do certain things (e.g. no Flash), but they do have a logical reason for their actions and it's not just to squeeze more dollars from loyal customers.

Apple will probably not ever tell us how much RAM the iPhone 4S has.

iFixit or iRepair or iWhatever will tell us.

Reactions: dwfw

DrewBear

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Apple will probably not ever tell us how much RAM the iPhone 4S has.

iFixit or iRepair or iWhatever will tell us.

I agree. I meant that if it turns out that the 4S has the same amount of RAM as the iPad 2, Apple will probably still have a logical reason for not allowing Siri to work on the iPad 2. But RAM is the most easily proved theoretical reason, so we'll find out on Friday. Those tear-apart guys are pretty quick.

My broader point was that there are people who always presume the worst of Apple.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
People are way too caught up on specs these days instead of performance...they tend to glance away from things based on numbers on paper vs. performance in hand. Many people do this in the automotive world too...and they miss out on some really amazing machines.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Siri worked fine on 3GS, until recently. Can't see why it would need a gig, unless it does a lot more than the standalone app. But either way, why disable the app on existing phones?

If it does have a gig of RAM, maybe it's fast enough for Flash...

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I meant that if it turns out that the 4S has the same amount of RAM as the iPad 2, Apple will probably still have a logical reason for not allowing Siri to work on the iPad 2. But RAM is the most easily proved theoretical reason, so we'll find out on Friday. Those tear-apart guys are pretty quick.

My broader point was that there are people who always presume the worst of Apple.

Well the reason I wouldn't put Siri on the iPad is because it doesn't really make sense... Most iPads are not always connected to the internet, unlike iPhones. That's why it doesn't make sense on the iPod either. Also, you don't walk around with your iPad and headphones. From a usability standpoint, Siri just doesn't make sense on an iPad. Also at the distance people hold iPad's from their face when using them, it would be difficult to pick up quality audio for Siri.

I don't really think Siri will ever come to the iPad, but it might if they get enough customers asking for it.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
What iPads are not always on the Internet? Mine is always at home on wi-fi. Anywhere else I'd be using it would also have wi-fi. In between it's packed away. Many people also have 3G. The only difference I can think of is that most people, including me, don't use it while driving.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What iPads are not always on the Internet? Mine is always at home on wi-fi. Anywhere else I'd be using it would also have wi-fi. In between it's packed away. Many people also have 3G. The only difference I can think of is that most people, including me, don't use it while driving.

Plenty of people use their iPads at school or work without an Internet connection on the wifi-only version.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
News to me. Forget Siri, they wouldn't be doing much of anything. Seems like just about everyone has wifi these days, and if they don't then why bother? You're right that people aren't likely walking around with headphones. iPods have voice control without being always online.

Even so, every iPad is online some of the time and many are online all the time, so that in itself is not it. If this feature is intended for hands-free driving, it makes a bit more sense. I expect to be using it a lot on my 4S, looking up addresses and directions, making calls, controlling audio, composing texts, etc. I won't do that with my iPad 'cuz I can't put it in my pocket or make voice calls.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711