Lack of larger screen the source of the majority of negative opinions...

Did the screen size give you a negative opinion of the new iPhone 4S?

• Yes

Votes: 42 62.7%
  • No

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Did you guys really think Apple would change the screen size and screw developers over? They wouldn't do that until at least 2-phone cycles has gone by; until they can kill off the 3GS. Once that happens, then we have Retina iP4/iP4S and Retina iP5.

2 sizes/resolutions at a time to keep the developer experience reasonable.

And yes, believe it or not, Apple does care about the developers experience. They wouldn't have released the most complete and feature-rich SDK on the market ever in the mobile industry.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Did you guys really think Apple would change the screen size and screw developers over? They wouldn't do that until at least 2-phone cycles has gone by; until they can kill off the 3GS. Once that happens, then we have Retina iP4/iP4S and Retina iP5.

2 sizes/resolutions at a time to keep the developer experience reasonable.

And yes, believe it or not, Apple does care about the developers experience. They wouldn't have released the most complete and feature-rich SDK on the market ever in the mobile industry.

As long as they didn't change the resolution it would have no effect. I design iPhone apps.

Also, jailbreak devs have shown that even if they did increase the res slightly (to about 1080x720) they could still use the same retina display source imaging and make most apps automatically scale to the new res (except games).

chenzo51

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Larger screen would have been nice but I really wanted no glass back and led notification light. But we will se how good the notification center is, maybe we will not need the light. But I still think it would have been real easy to do in a new form factor or the current one. I guess I'll be buying one of those metal backs from Ally and not worry about busting it up. That's why I would have liked a redesign

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
For me I wished for LTE and an aluminum back. Its kinda stupid to cover up a pretty phone with a ugly, bulky case or cover because Apple decided to make the whole thing practically out of glass. Plus I can't use my dock without taking my case off which is stupid.

Err... Well, one could definitely argue that a case is not needed... I actually have found over my 4 iPhone 4s that I've had in the past year that cases tend to scratch the back of the device more than using it without a case.

In terms of dropping the phone, I have dropped it SO MANY times, even this latest one, my fourth (and final) iPhone 4, I have dropped easily over a dozen times. Each time more cringe-worthy than the last, but it always turns up completely spotless. Not a single scratch, no cracks, not even a dent on the stainless steel band. And a couple times I definitely thought it was a goner, it has really been smacked face-down on my floor - hard.

I'm definitely not saying it can't break, but if you are relatively careful with it, you should be fine without a case. Also with the new Apple Care+ if you have an accident I think it's only $49 additional to replace it, which is pretty amazing because it's not Apple's fault that you broke it, and they're giving you up to an $850 replacement.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Larger screen would have been nice, but compared to my 3GS, this phone is 4-10 times faster/better at various functions.
Should feel like a night and day improvement.

AND... my 64GB wish came true!!!!!

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
You silly people that wanted certain improvements! Just be happy with what daddy Apple gives you, whiners..

And within your sarcasm...you continue my point. By putting any kind of blame on Apple for something that they never even slightly hinted at, much less promised anyone, you fall into the category of hype driven let down...be happy with what "daddy Apple" gives you? They gave us a phone that used the same amazing design, screen and size that made the iPhone 4 arguably THE smart phone to buy on the market...and improved it 10 fold where it counts...internally. They improved the usability, they increased the ease of use, and they retained the Apple tradition of sticking to what works, instead of focusing 100% on the newest gimmick that people may or may not care anything about.

What are you left with? A phone that was already great...improved 100%.

And a whole bunch of people upset over rumors they put too much faith in...

And the same haters that held negative opinions on the iPhone anyways, still doing so.

And after October 14th, a bunch of iPhone 4S owners that love their phones, as is always the case with Apple's iPhone.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, initially the lack of a 4 inch screen was a huge turn off for me after watching the announcement yesterday but I think Siri and the A5 have brought me back around. Its a fair trade off IMO.

tmadsen

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I wouldn't call myself a fanboy (or fangirl) of any particular OS, because I like elements of both Android and iOS, but I was really hoping for a larger screen. I have a bigger screen right now, and before I had it, I would probably agree with the sentiment that it didn't matter, but now it's just a matter of preference for me. I was hoping for the bigger screen coupled with Apple's amazing battery life for the best of both worlds. Plus, those really beautiful mock-ups made me so hopeful. I'm sure this phone will still sell well. I get retina display is nice, but the AMOLED and SuperAMOLED screens are really nice too, and they're larger, so I think a larger screen wouldn't have to sacrifice the screen quality. Just my opinion, of course. Please don't flame me :)

Adawg1203

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Err... Well, one could definitely argue that a case is not needed... I actually have found over my 4 iPhone 4s that I've had in the past year that cases tend to scratch the back of the device more than using it without a case.

In terms of dropping the phone, I have dropped it SO MANY times, even this latest one, my fourth (and final) iPhone 4, I have dropped easily over a dozen times. Each time more cringe-worthy than the last, but it always turns up completely spotless. Not a single scratch, no cracks, not even a dent on the stainless steel band. And a couple times I definitely thought it was a goner, it has really been smacked face-down on my floor - hard.

I'm definitely not saying it can't break, but if you are relatively careful with it, you should be fine without a case. Also with the new Apple Care+ if you have an accident I think it's only $49 additional to replace it, which is pretty amazing because it's not Apple's fault that you broke it, and they're giving you up to an $850 replacement.

Ok, I throwing the challenge flag.

What are you dropping the phone on? Your pillow. Sorry but its NOT that durable to be dropping a dozen times and still be spotless. I am extremely careful with mine and its scratched. The GF dropped hers once (fell out of purse) and the screen is chipped in 2 places.

As for the case scratching it? Well it WILL get scratched more easily being naked, this I know. The glass on this device is a far cry from gorilla glass that other device makers use, and you can tell.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

What are you dropping the phone on? Your pillow. Sorry but its NOT that durable to be dropping a dozen times and still be spotless. I am extremely careful with mine and its scratched. The GF dropped hers once (fell out of purse) and the screen is chipped in 2 places.

As for the case scratching it? Well it WILL get scratched more easily being naked, this I know. The glass on this device is a far cry from gorilla glass that other device makers use, and you can tell.

Agree I have multiple friends with iPhone and they drop it once and the screen is shattered. I'm gonna call bs on jello dropping it "hard" on the floor.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site

Well, the last couple of times I have had it resting on its side on the lip of my desk drawer, and then my chair would turn and quickly close the drawer, causing the iPhone to smack down on the floor. One time, I was at the City Hall building here in Toronto, and I fumbled while grabbing my iPhone out of my pocket, and it fell on the (extremely hard) floors from about 4 feet and actually bounced a bit.. I was very surprised to find it with no scratches after that.

It's really a game of odds, but I know for a fact from my own experience that with careful use you can use the iPhone 4 with no case for months and get absolutely no scratches on it.

Also, I'm not a liar, TYVM.

Bias X

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure why you would call it BS. I've seen a billion stories of people dropping it on hard floors/cement and not so much as getting a scratch (myself included), while other who drop it from less the waist height have shattered it. All iPhones were not created equally

To the OP. I could give a fly fetch about screen size.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2