? for current iPhone owners...

simplylaurakb

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
How often do you use voice and data at the same time (if you're on AT&T), or how often do you wish you could (if you're on Verizon)? I'm finally dumping my dumb phone for an iPhone, and I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to break my Verizon contract and switch to AT&T. As far as I can tell the simultaneous voice+data is the only difference...

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and have never wished I was able to talk/surf at the same time. If I was on the phone talking to someone and I really needed to get online I would just have the person call me back. For me it's by no means a deal breaker.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
How often do you use voice and data at the same time (if you're on AT&T), or how often do you wish you could (if you're on Verizon)? I'm finally dumping my dumb phone for an iPhone, and I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to break my Verizon contract and switch to AT&T. As far as I can tell the simultaneous voice+data is the only difference...

I have a thunderbolt on verizon and it is able to use voice and data at the same time on 3g and I have used it once I think. Not really a deal breaker atleast for me anyway to break contract and get stuck with a tiered data plan on at&t. I know some may use it alot but I never have.

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I have Verizon and I honestly can't remember a time when it was an issue. Most of the time I am using WiFi (which enables you to talk and surf at the same time) but I can't even remember using it under those cirumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradM73

Sep 11, 2008
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and have been for years, and I use voice and data simultaneously VERY often. One PRIME example is GPS navigation. There are MANY times I use the GPS or Google Maps to get driving directions while I am talking to someone on the phone. You can't do that on Verizon. There have also been times when I was talking with several people on my iPhone while pulling up some reference data using Safari at the same time too. My Voice+Data usage is now so integrated, I don't know how I'd live without it.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

I'm on AT&T and I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, it's nice to have. I use it maybe 2-3 times per month.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, and haven't really found a lot of times that I really NEEDED to use it. I do know that when I am at home on wifi, and talking, I do use it, fairly often, but I think that proabably has something to do with my ADD, and I get bored talking very easily (usually with my wife, or mother LOL).

SurfStoked

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm on Verizon and the only time I needed to talk and surf at the same time is when I was on a call for an extended period of time. Luckily for me the only time I was at home and all I had to do was just boot up a computer. I would say think about how often you actually talk on your phone and if you talk on your phone a lot then you might want to talk and surf at the same time.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If it is something that you have never had, you won't miss it. There may be the few times that it would be nice to have. I wouldn't choose the provider that provides the best coverage in your area. If it is the same, Att may be the better choice for you, as the new iPhone will support HSPA+.

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and have been for years, and I use voice and data simultaneously VERY often. One PRIME example is GPS navigation. There are MANY times I use the GPS or Google Maps to get driving directions while I am talking to someone on the phone. You can't do that on Verizon. There have also been times when I was talking with several people on my iPhone while pulling up some reference data using Safari at the same time too. My Voice+Data usage is now so integrated, I don't know how I'd live without it.

I could on my iPhone 4 using the Garmin USA application. I could actually hear it speak the directions while in mid call.

Engire

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Go with the carrier that offers the best signal for your location. If you don't have a signal it does not matter much what your phone is capable of. For myself the only time I have thought about it is while being bored on terminal hold.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2