How often do you use voice and data at the same time (if you're on AT&T), or how often do you wish you could (if you're on Verizon)? I'm finally dumping my dumb phone for an iPhone, and I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to break my Verizon contract and switch to AT&T. As far as I can tell the simultaneous voice+data is the only difference...
    10-04-2011 07:38 PM
    I'm on Verizon and have never wished I was able to talk/surf at the same time. If I was on the phone talking to someone and I really needed to get online I would just have the person call me back. For me it's by no means a deal breaker.
    Last edited by CG68; 10-04-2011 at 07:47 PM.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-04-2011 07:42 PM
    How often do you use voice and data at the same time (if you're on AT&T), or how often do you wish you could (if you're on Verizon)? I'm finally dumping my dumb phone for an iPhone, and I'm trying to decide if it makes sense to break my Verizon contract and switch to AT&T. As far as I can tell the simultaneous voice+data is the only difference...
    I have a thunderbolt on verizon and it is able to use voice and data at the same time on 3g and I have used it once I think. Not really a deal breaker atleast for me anyway to break contract and get stuck with a tiered data plan on at&t. I know some may use it alot but I never have.
    10-04-2011 07:43 PM
    I'm on AT&T and have rarely used it. It's nice to be able to do if needed but it's not too often for me.
    10-04-2011 07:44 PM
    I have Verizon and I honestly can't remember a time when it was an issue. Most of the time I am using WiFi (which enables you to talk and surf at the same time) but I can't even remember using it under those cirumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-04-2011 07:46 PM
    I'm on AT&T and have been for years, and I use voice and data simultaneously VERY often. One PRIME example is GPS navigation. There are MANY times I use the GPS or Google Maps to get driving directions while I am talking to someone on the phone. You can't do that on Verizon. There have also been times when I was talking with several people on my iPhone while pulling up some reference data using Safari at the same time too. My Voice+Data usage is now so integrated, I don't know how I'd live without it.
    10-04-2011 07:49 PM
    I'm on AT&T and I don't use it a lot, but when I need it, it's nice to have. I use it maybe 2-3 times per month.
    10-04-2011 07:58 PM
    I'm on Verizon, and haven't really found a lot of times that I really NEEDED to use it. I do know that when I am at home on wifi, and talking, I do use it, fairly often, but I think that proabably has something to do with my ADD, and I get bored talking very easily (usually with my wife, or mother LOL).
    10-04-2011 08:57 PM
    You won't miss it until you need it.
    10-04-2011 09:00 PM
    I'm on Verizon and the only time I needed to talk and surf at the same time is when I was on a call for an extended period of time. Luckily for me the only time I was at home and all I had to do was just boot up a computer. I would say think about how often you actually talk on your phone and if you talk on your phone a lot then you might want to talk and surf at the same time.
    10-04-2011 09:02 PM
    If it is something that you have never had, you won't miss it. There may be the few times that it would be nice to have. I wouldn't choose the provider that provides the best coverage in your area. If it is the same, Att may be the better choice for you, as the new iPhone will support HSPA+.
    10-04-2011 09:06 PM
    What's HSPA?+
    10-04-2011 09:09 PM
    What's HSPA?+
    Pseudo 4G. It's a speed enhancement for GSM 3G.
    10-04-2011 09:12 PM
    I'm on AT&T and have been for years, and I use voice and data simultaneously VERY often. One PRIME example is GPS navigation. There are MANY times I use the GPS or Google Maps to get driving directions while I am talking to someone on the phone. You can't do that on Verizon. There have also been times when I was talking with several people on my iPhone while pulling up some reference data using Safari at the same time too. My Voice+Data usage is now so integrated, I don't know how I'd live without it.
    I could on my iPhone 4 using the Garmin USA application. I could actually hear it speak the directions while in mid call.
    10-04-2011 10:06 PM
    What's HSPA?+
    GSM 3G on Enzyte...
    10-04-2011 10:07 PM
    GSM 3G on Enzyte...
    No wonder Android users are so jealous! ;-)

Mistress of Mischief
    DaPhoneking likes this.
    10-04-2011 11:57 PM
    No wonder Android users are so jealous! ;-)

Mistress of Mischief
    LMAO who says size matters?
    10-05-2011 12:01 AM
    Go with the carrier that offers the best signal for your location. If you don't have a signal it does not matter much what your phone is capable of. For myself the only time I have thought about it is while being bored on terminal hold.
    10-05-2011 12:11 AM
    I use it regularly and can't imagine not having it.
    10-05-2011 12:23 AM
    I use it sometimes. You might think you'll never use it... Until you need it!
    10-05-2011 05:42 AM
    It's nice to have.

I use it most often when my wife (who has a dumbphone), calls me and needs me to look something up for her if she's not near a computer.
    Or, using the web browser while on hold.

Not sure it's worth paying cancellation fees over.
    Jellotime91 likes this.
    10-05-2011 06:25 AM
    I'm not gonna get into this debate again, but I think it's only fair to warn you, you WILL BE sorry if you go the Verizon route for an iPhone if you have the choice to go with AT&T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-05-2011 07:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD