Verizon iPhone 4 iOS question.

daneg

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
So recently I was with someone who had an ATT Iphone 4. They got some text messages and instantly I thought "wait a second, that tone is on my phone, but its shorter on hers..."

After checking google, in iOS 4.3 the text tones are shorter then what they are now. Which is nice because some of them are too long. What's the deal with 4.3 not coming to verizon?

I take it we should get ios 5 at the SAME time as ATT? I left android for this reason. as well as some others.

hey_WILL

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
history
4.2.8 was the version for verizon with hotspot, etc. Then 4.3 was released for gsm (att) iPhones to catch up. 4.2.10 was released for cdma (verz) iPhones to fix a security issue. So that's where we are now. There shouldn't be really any differences, though. Just different versions for different radios.

ios5 should be released simultaneously on both carriers in the coming months.

icebox93

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
history
4.2.8 was the version for verizon with hotspot, etc. Then 4.3 was released for gsm (att) iPhones to catch up. 4.2.10 was released for cdma (verz) iPhones to fix a security issue. So that's where we are now. There shouldn't be really any differences, though. Just different versions for different radios.

actually the history is off a bit. Verizon phones had hotspot at launch with iOS 4.2.6. 4.3 was released about a month later and gave the AT&T iPhone hotspot, plus a few other enhancements that were not in the Verizon phoneme at the time. All point releases since that point were bug fixes & security updates. 4.3.5 and 4.2.10 are thus not identical but for the radio.

So while text tones were not one of the advertised changes in 4.3, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a difference.

The main usability difference between the two OSes is that 4.3 has the newer "nitro" JavaScript engine and 4.2 doesn't. Except on heavy JavaScript pages there isn't much of a difference in performance. But when a site does have a lot of JS then 4.3 is much better than 4.2. Apple never gave Verizon users the other 4.3 enhancements, and icloud is only usable on ATT phones as well. This history doesn't give me confidence that iOS 5 will be identical but for the radios on the two carriers, but we'll see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll