Average Data Usage

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I feel like i use a lot of data, but i've just checked my account and I've only used approximately 100mbs since i got the phone about 5 days ago. I felt cheated that I didnt get a chance to have unlimited data, but this kind of makes me feel like I won't hit my cap for the month.

What are we all using per month? Wondering what someone who feels like they use a lot of data is using per month

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been grandfathered into Vz's unlimited data plan and I used about 3 gb's this month after only having my IPhone for a little over a month now. This was my monthly norm with my Droid X too. I would have a tough time staying under the 2 gb limit now. When I had my Blackberries I averaged about 1 gb a month.

Last edited:

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been grandfathered into Vz's unlimited data plan and I used about 3 gb's this month after only having my IPhone for a little over a month now. This was my monthly norm with my Droid X too. I would have a tough time staying under the 2 gb limit now. When I had my Blackberries I averaged about 1 gb a month.
youre quite a lucky man. they got rid of it this month?

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've been on the unlimited plan since 2008 when I got my first smartphone, a Blackberry Pearl 8130.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
You will stay under 2 gb a month if you do very little video streaming.

I agree. I have two different email addresses pushing, Twitter , FB, G+, Navigation Apps, lots of gneral Web surfing, and some Pandora (not a lot) I usually stay under 500mb. I rarely YouTube or stream video though unless with WiFi. 3G seems a choppy for video in my area. YMMV:D

llfloyd79

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I had my iPhone for about 4 months now, and I have never gone over 2GB. I have came somewhat close once only because I had jailbroke my phone for the first time and I was going download crazy while at work lol.

I never worry about going over because I don't stream videos or music online. So 2GB to me is plenty. I don't regret not having unlimited.

beto89

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i might stream 1 or 2 youtube videos a day, push gmail is on, facebook and random web browsing. With all that, I average about 3-4 gb a month.

j7469

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Prior to jailbreaking I averaged 3-4gb per month. The first month I had my iP4 JB I did just over 5gb and just 7 days into my second billing cycle I've already used 2.5gb. Mostly due to my3G, using FaceTime and downloading apps over 20mb with iTunes as well as using it's feature to trick streaming apps into higher bit rates and HD quality YouTube videos.

Thankfully I was grandfathered in to unlimited and I'm thinking that as long as I stay around 5gb a month I should be OK.

PilotPhil81

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Three months ago I used just over 5gb of data. Then the next months i just used 1.1 and last month I used 2.5. So I am all over the place. It would of Ben nice if they would of lowerd the price of the data plan for only getting 2GB. At ATT it is $25 for 2GB. What does Verizon have to be so expesive. This situation makes me a little mad, but I still love being with Verizon because they have a better network.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Three months ago I used just over 5gb of data. Then the next months i just used 1.1 and last month I used 2.5. So I am all over the place. It would of Ben nice if they would of lowerd the price of the data plan for only getting 2GB. At ATT it is $25 for 2GB. What does Verizon have to be so expesive. This situation makes me a little mad, but I still love being with Verizon because they have a better network.
i hear that 'better network' thing a lot. i've had both, but still see no evidence of this. But yeah, I'm sure I'll be like you; all over the place

iMalum

Jul 21, 2011
iphonechroniclr.wordpress.com
I have the 2GB/month data plan with AT&T. I usually use just under my allowance (about 1.9GB). However, in the past 18 or so months (since having the 2GB plan), I've gone over about 3 or 4 times.

I'm a pretty heavy user, too. The fact that I rarely stream audio/video is the main reason I keep my head out of the water.

Although, if you just got an iPhone (which is what I think you said), you're first month or two will likely be higher than normal. You're new to it, so you're gonna be doing more than you would usually do --you know, trying things out.

One more thing... Are you checking your data on the Verizon iPhone app, or in the Settings app on your iPhone? In order to get the most practical figure, use the Verizon app. After all, that's the official number (according to Verizon at least).

Last edited:

purwater

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've seen upwards of 3 GB in the past with my DroidX, but so far I've used 1.1 GB my first month with my iPhone and seem to be on track for around 1-1.5 GB this month. That was my average with my Droid as well. My wife uses about double that amount since she got her iPhone, but she streams Pandora every day at work. I rarely stream for the most part. I'm glad I was grandfathered on the unlimited just in case.

xvision

Sep 3, 2011
j.mp
If you use DataMan pro, you can get very detailed hourly reports on your cellular and WiFi usage. You can even export the stats as CSV for analysis on your computer.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2