Setting separate ringtones

jebulls

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Question? Can you set different ringtones for separate contacts? Also can you set custom ringtones for text messages? These are probably stupid questions! Coming from BB I don't know anything about ios yet!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. These settings are in the Address book - configurable per contact. You can buy or add your own phone ringtones, but you are limited to the Apple-provided set of SMS/MMS alerts. (For now, unless you jailbreak.)

jebulls

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That kind of stinks! Can you use at least use long phone ringtones or are you forced to use message tones? I am around alot of noice during the day so when I went to a long ringtone I stopped missing them!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
At this point and without jailbreaking, you must use the SMS/MMS tones provided by Apple... you cannot substitute the longer "ring" tones for SMS/MMS at this time.

jebulls

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I am just surprised that you can't do this. If BB phones could not do this they would be getting ripped in the media lol. I guess it's probably not a huge deal for most but for me not to have a loud long text ring tone is kind of a big deal! Can you at least pick different ones for text, email, fb, and twitter ect.?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Currently, you are limited to the sound provided by the app when it comes to fb and Twitter. Once iOS 5 is released you will have more flexibility with text and email sounds.

Most people, though, have expressed their dissatisfaction with the current set of text tones because they are too long and want shorter tones.

jebulls

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Currently, you are limited to the sound provided by the app when it comes to fb and Twitter. Once iOS 5 is released you will have more flexibility with text and email sounds.

Most people, though, have expressed their dissatisfaction with the current set of text tones because they are too long and want shorter tones.

Yeah I understand I am a minority here. I am around alot of noise during the day so I like a long ringtone. When it is quiet and I hear it right away then I just hit the silence button right away. I guess I would think having the option to put what ever you want wouldn't be a big deal as bb has done it for years? I guess I have not read much on iOS 5. I would be able to put a custom made ringtone for a text message? As far as fb and twitter, I really don't care about that. How long are the ringtones for sms right now if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
custom ringtones

I'm using iOS 5, and it gives you a 'Buy Tones' option for SMS, email in addition to phone calls. So you can assign more ringtones, if you buy them from Apple at $1.29 each! Unfortunately, custom ringtones you create yourself are not eligible to be assigned to those alerts... yet.

I've submitted a bug report, hoping Apple will open that up as well. It's the #1 features our customers (AutoRingtone - custom TEXT-TO-SPEECH ringtone creator) request!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon