• After more than 15 years covering everything Apple, it’s with a heavy heart we announce that we will no longer be publishing new content on iMore and the iMore forums will be closing as of November 1st, 2024.

Changing 4 icons at bottom?

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Can you change the 4 icons at the bottom of the home screen?

Now on my VZW iPhone 4 they are phone, mail, safari and iPod. I'm all the time hitting the iPod icon and it stays running in background...

Thanks.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The iPod app will run in the background all the time. Just means it's always available.

But yes, you can change them the same way you move other icons. Tap/hold until it jiggles, and then drag it out of the dock.

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it runs all the time. You can do the double home button tap and see what's running and close iPod just like other stuff by holding till it jiggles and hitting the minus sign.

I may be wrong on that.

I've also tried moving them like others and cant get them to move

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
once you're icons are "jiggling" (spelling?) then you can move ANY of your icons

keep trying grasshopper..

macharborguy

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think people are getting confused.

Are you talking about the Dock (the 4 icons that are always at the bottom of the screen, no matter what page of the home screen you are on), or are you talking about the icons in the Task Manager that pops up when you double click the Home button?

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about the 4 that are at the bottom of the screen no matter what screen you are on. The "docked" ones as you call them. Not the ones when you double click the home screen button, that opens the apps that you have running in background....

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about the 4 that are at the bottom of the screen no matter what screen you are on. The "docked" ones as you call them. Not the ones when you double click the home screen button, that opens the apps that you have running in background....

It's simple, press and hold down an app icon, and when it's jiggles, switch out the app on the dock for an app you want on the doc.

jmgilliam#IM

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
BAM!!! Got it!!!

Here's the difference in moving to and from the dock and just regularly moving them (on the ip4 anyway) -

When you just move them around the regular area, you know how they move and adjust as you move around the icon you are dragging...? Well, when moving from the dock or to the dock, they don't do that. I drug the ipod icon off the dock and tried to place it somewhere and nothing moved to "make room" but I let go of the icon and it jumped in right where my finger was and the dock then just had 3 icons and was able to move another thing down there.

Voila...

Hope this helps someone else...

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
BAM!!! Got it!!!

Here's the difference in moving to and from the dock and just regularly moving them (on the ip4 anyway) -

When you just move them around the regular area, you know how they move and adjust as you move around the icon you are dragging...? Well, when moving from the dock or to the dock, they don't do that. I drug the ipod icon off the dock and tried to place it somewhere and nothing moved to "make room" but I let go of the icon and it jumped in right where my finger was and the dock then just had 3 icons and was able to move another thing down there.

Voila...

Hope this helps someone else...

It works exactly the same as any other icon that I move on my iPhone 4... I can drag it off and the icons move away from my finger (and the dragged icon) to make room for it... exactly as the non-dock icons do...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramzesenok