Long time Blackberry user with questions. Please help!!!

aimee613

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I have had a Verizon Blackberry for the past 5 years and I am eligible for my upgrade now and would like to switch to the iphone. Is it an easy transition? Is there anything I should know before I do this? Also do you think I should wait for the 5g to come out or should I just go for it now? I am also confused about data storage. 16gb or 32gb? What does a typical 16gb phone hold in terms of number of apps, photos, music and games. This is all so foreign to me after the Blackberry, but i am so ready for the switch!!

Alybrey

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I just did this a month ago. Loved my BB but I'm also an Apple freak. It is very different, but a really great kind of different. I use my phone for business and pleasure. Apple somehow managed to make my job just a little more fun as far as I'm concerned, yet maintain my business needs as well. The only thing you don't have with the Iphone is a lighted notification of your emails when they arrive to your phone. I am one that constantly checks my phone anyway, so it really wasn't that hard to get over. My phone is everything to me. My mp3 player, sometimes my camera, my alarm in the mornings, my appt minder. You name it, I use it for everything it's got going on. Apple however has added some really cool things to their phone that I am really enjoying on top of the normal things. And the screen. Can't say enough about it. It's so much easier to read, surf the net (which is very fast btw) and the photos it takes are awesome.
I have the 32gb because as I have always been taught, get the larger one because you never know what you will end up having to keep on it. This way you will be prepared. I have over 2000 songs, not so many photos yet, about 10 games and 4 business apps loaded so far and I've only used 6 gb. Yes it's $100 more, but I've no regrets.
As far as transition....Apple makes their products for ease of use. To me it's a ton easier to use than a BB. I was tired of hunting for the icon I needed on a BB to get to where I needed to go. Every icon u need for each program is right there in front of you. Email is a few more steps, but again, I can deal with that.
Best thing for you to do is to go to a Verizon store and use the display. Don't let anybody bother you and take as long as you want. I did this 3 different times in a week before I bought mine. I was worried about the transition from pecking on keys to the virtual keyboard. I was amazed how quickly I learned to use that part of it. I love this part of it now.
I loved my BB's, and I kind of felt like a traitor LOL, but the Iphone is butter smooth and I'm all Apple now and not looking back.
As far as the Iphone 5, who knows. So many rumors and nobody really knows the release date of that phone. In my opinion, they won't release until spring 2012. I only say this because of much collected data I have read and that really makes the most sense for Apple and Verizon due to when they released the IP4 this past Feb.
If you do decide to get it, you have 14 days to love it or hate it. You loose $35 in restocking fee if you decide to return it, but you will then know that you tried it and not question it later.

dsmith3427

Banned
Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Former Blackberry user and I recommend you don't do it!!! Don't hesitate on the switch that is.:) Seemless transition for me with zero regrets.

andino

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Transition was not seemless for me. I'm a huge texter/emailer and the learning curve kind of nails you in the face when you switch from BB to iOS. At first, I missing simple things like mark all as read, custom notification tones, and the physical keyboard. I've gotten used to not having those things now and I JB in order to customize some aspects of the notification system. I really miss that LED light.

Overall, its a step back in some aspects but a huge step forward in others. The screen is awesome and the web browsing is welcomed. No flash though which is kind of weak but its alright. If you sync your contacts and appointments in outlook, then that part will be pretty easy. I had a lot of stuff in google with multiple accounts so I ended up with doubles and crap jumbled up. Got it all sorted out and synced with outlook so that they would be unified in one place for future changes.

Overall, I really like the phone; it has its quirks as most any phone will. But it does plenty things well so I don't mind. I do miss my BB keyboard for the long emails. At pointed I'll just save as draft and get on my laptop to finish writing them haha. I still can't stand the "in your face" notifications either but you get used them eventually I guess.

Anyways, GL with your BB > Iphone switch!

brokenartist

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
As a former BB and Android user I dont think there is a huge learning curve. In terms of getting one now or waiting until the 5 comes out. I would say if you can wait then wait. The iPhone 5 might not come out until September. If you feel you cant wait, then I would spend some time with the phone in the store. Play with it and see how it works or if you have a friend who has one see if you can play with theirs.

Laurieg

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The main thing I miss about my BB is the LED light.
When I'm home my phone usually gets put on a counter and left while I'm doing other things. When I walk past it I have to unlock it to see if I missed anything.
If there was a Iphone wish list that would be at the top of mine.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The biggest "loss" for me going from BB to iOS was in the area of notifications... but after I did the JB on the phone, I have added things like the notifications plugin for LockInfo and I'm good to go... no looking back - 10 months later...

korp#IM

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I have had a Verizon Blackberry for the past 5 years and I am eligible for my upgrade now and would like to switch to the iphone. Is it an easy transition? Is there anything I should know before I do this? Also do you think I should wait for the 5g to come out or should I just go for it now? I am also confused about data storage. 16gb or 32gb? What does a typical 16gb phone hold in terms of number of apps, photos, music and games. This is all so foreign to me after the Blackberry, but i am so ready for the switch!!

It will be easy in the sense that you can do a lot more now. It's a different OS so a slight learning curve but it's a great phone .... blackberry is so far behind right now of Android and the iPhone.

So many rumors on iPhone 5 so who knows when that is going to come ... not to mention it will be 3G still.

If you are going to put movies on your iPhone .... I highly recommend 32GB .... if no movies or just like 1 movie then 16GB is alright.

wrxnfx

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I, too, was a longtime BB user and am like the others before in saying that the switch shouldn't be an issue. The iPhone is much more intuitive than the BB OS. It would take a lot for me to switch from the iPhone to another platform. After the switch, I found it so much easier to use my device on the internet and there are so many different types of apps out there that I find myself making a lot more use of my phone than I ever have. The games are just a plus. Camera is way better, battery life is close, much smaller device so cases don't make it too bulky, and UI is just ten times smoother. If you can wait for the newer device, might be a good idea, but just keep in mind that if you aren't with Verizon's unlimited data plan already, you may not be able to get it if they take it away when the new iPhone comes out.

On the downside, as others have mentioned the LED and notifications being either missing or different, not really a big deal. My coworkers had warned me of this, but considering all that the iPhone can do, I don't miss those one bit. The other issue is that backing up contacts may be a challenge if justing syncing with iTunes. I use the Google Sync app for this and my calendar and love it. Also, in place of BBM, I use the Kik app which works great (just can't send files such as voice notes or doc files, but can send photos). Kik also works cross platform with Android devices.

In regards to your question about the storage side, 16GB is good for most people. Depends on how much stuff you plan on putting on your device and whether you are willing to spend the additional $100. You also may want to think about the Apple care plan which is an additional $70 mainly for tech support and I think extending the warranty period out for two years. I didn't purchase this, but something you should look into before making your purchase.

Last edited:

blitzjb

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't miss the daily BB battery pulls! I was also a long time BB user. The iPhone is outstanding. The email..etc.. Active syncs with my exchange server better than the BB ever did.