2 weeks in...

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
So, I've had my new phone for a couple of weeks now and so far I am loving it. My biggest problem is actually typing on the keypad- not a big deal when I do it in landscape, but when I don't my thumbs always are hitting the incorrect letters. Ugh! I am correcting myself during every text.

My question is...is there an autocorrect feature where I can preset words that I typically misstype to change it to the correct word and not just whatever word it thinks I want? Does that make sense? Believe it or not the word "to" is my biggest issue...it keeps typing "ti". WTH!!

I guess with time, I'll get better at it, but I am kind of missing that keypad on my last phone.

Stupid big thumbs! :mad:

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
There isn't any way to assign an autocorrect entry but supposedly it should learn that you suck at typing the word to and replace ti with to.

There is an app that will let you create text that will auto expand into the text you want and that may work. I can't remember the name of the app right now though.

AStranger

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The app I was thinking of is text expander but it won't work from within the SMS application so I don't think it is what you would be looking for.

mikesa_tx

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
So, I've had my new phone for a couple of weeks now and so far I am loving it. My biggest problem is actually typing on the keypad- not a big deal when I do it in landscape, but when I don't my thumbs always are hitting the incorrect letters. Ugh! I am correcting myself during every text.

My question is...is there an autocorrect feature where I can preset words that I typically misstype to change it to the correct word and not just whatever word it thinks I want? Does that make sense? Believe it or not the word "to" is my biggest issue...it keeps typing "ti". WTH!!

I guess with time, I'll get better at it, but I am kind of missing that keypad on my last phone.

You will get better in typing on the keypad. I personally don't use the landscape one as I see myself typing better the other way. I know that doesn't make any sense. LOL.

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The autocorrect your phone has should be doing this already... I spell it "ti" a lot too and it corrects it for me :/

Hm..wonder why mine is not changing over.

I have such a big spelling pet peeve and its driving me crazy when I see my texts sent with errors. I have a feeling I'm going to have to just deal with it. lol.

I would seriously love some macro codes (like they have in word processing). Especially for things like my passwords or email addresses. They are long and a pain to keep typing out.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Another thing to remember is to not let it autocorrect you a few times on words (slang).
"X" out the preview a few times and the phone learns not to do it again. But the ti-to and
things like that eventually get picked up.

Reactions: Itsfoxy

generik777

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hm..wonder why mine is not changing over.

I have such a big spelling pet peeve and its driving me crazy when I see my texts sent with errors. I have a feeling I'm going to have to just deal with it. lol.

I would seriously love some macro codes (like they have in word processing). Especially for things like my passwords or email addresses. They are long and a pain to keep typing out.

Make sure you have auto-correction turned on. Go to Settings>General>Keyboard

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
With iOS 4 the iPhone seems much more reluctant to "learn" words like it used too. For the life of me I was not able to get it to some learn words and it always wanted to correct them no matter how many times I cancelled the correction and tried all the tricks to get it to learn. If you add an international keyboard you will get the option to add words to the dictionary manually and you can tell it words you commonly use that it is correcting. Also, the system isn't just autocorrect but prediction so it may still change it because it thinks you wanted something else.

Don't give up on the portrait mode typing either. It takes awhile. After almost 5 years now my main method is one thumb and I feel I'm pretty fast, two thumbs in portrait for longer stuff. I barely ever use the landscape keyboard. Lighten your touch, the touch screen is very accurate.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Yea I am coming from a phone with a full keyboard and this thing is ROYALLY frustrating me!

Itsfoxy

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
With iOS 4 the iPhone seems much more reluctant to "learn" words like it used too. For the life of me I was not able to get it to some learn words and it always wanted to correct them no matter how many times I cancelled the correction and tried all the tricks to get it to learn. If you add an international keyboard you will get the option to add words to the dictionary manually and you can tell it words you commonly use that it is correcting. Also, the system isn't just autocorrect but prediction so it may still change it because it thinks you wanted something else.

Don't give up on the portrait mode typing either. It takes awhile. After almost 5 years now my main method is one thumb and I feel I'm pretty fast, two thumbs in portrait for longer stuff. I barely ever use the landscape keyboard. Lighten your touch, the touch screen is very accurate.

Its funny I do note that I press pretty hard down on the keys. Probably get that from my old keyboard. I had to press hard.

I'm going to look into adding that international keyboard. See how that works for me. Thanks for the tip.

I still think these honking thumbs I have don't help one bit. 3/4's of an inch wide. WTH! :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2