thanks

i didn't have the iphone 4 on att so how could i have known how the dialer worked. or that i couldn't flag emails. how could i have known any of this without using one for a little while.

i read a lot of tech blogs (bgr, engadnet, ect) and never saw a ropic on these issues.
    Super easy to walk into an Apple Store and take any of the iphones for a test drive. They are fully activated.
    02-20-2011 12:09 PM
    I came from the original droid for me I miss widgets and the notification system. That being said i love the phone. For me the app store is really important. The iphone just feels more supported by more companies. Yeah anyone cqn make an app for android but i feel like the production values arent there.
    shipwrestler125 likes this.
    02-20-2011 05:48 PM
    There's free gps apps. Waze and mapquest are two
    02-21-2011 01:16 AM
    For repeating calendar alerts, try the app called "alarmed", works great, just wish it was integrated into the calendar.

I feel your pain, former android user here too, and there are a LOT of shortcomings, still considering returning my iPhone, some of these missing features makes no sense to me, just very frustrating.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-21-2011 02:21 AM
    @eye4ni So now that you are approaching the 14 day return window, what did you decide to do?
    02-21-2011 07:09 AM
    I'm still learning about the phone myself, but I can help with the contacts question. There is a way to search your contacts list. There's a tiny magnifying glass at the top of the alphabet list on the right side of the phone. Tap that and a search box will open. You can also tap the letter of the alphabet of the name you're looking for and it will jump down to names beginning with that letter. My phone defaulted to people being categorized by their last name, but I prefer to look them up by first name, and that can be changed in the phone settings. Hope this helps at least a little! :-)
    I didn't know I could change the way my contacts were listed. It drove me nuts. Thanks!
    02-21-2011 08:35 AM
    For repeating calendar alerts, try the app called "alarmed", works great, just wish it was integrated into the calendar.

I feel your pain, former android user here too, and there are a LOT of shortcomings, still considering returning my iPhone, some of these missing features makes no sense to me, just very frustrating.
    Ignore my last post. Totally missed it was you. I can admit that there are shortcomings, and that power Android users may fell them more than most.

For me, the only thing I see as a shortcoming is the notification system. I do hope that, since last year Apple hired the "man behind" the webOS notification system that this is an area that is addressed in iOS5. Each year they address a few of the list of "why doesn't iOS have...?" or "iOS needs to improve.." issues, and since the biggest ones have been addressed (copy/paste, multitasking), even though not everyone loves the way they are implemented, I think they know notifications is high on the list to improve.

I came from a palm pre, so this is light years better. The only thing I miss (as much as the way you interacted with them drove me nuts) is the presentation of the notifications. I would like to see Apple take the webOS method and improve on it.

Also, I would like to see Apple change the "docked" behaviors. For instance, when docked, a clock and notifications are displayed in a dimmed screen/locked state, like when a pre is on a touchstone or like how I think the droid does when docked. Again, with Apple's signature polish.
    02-21-2011 09:02 AM
    I still have one more week to decide, bought our iphones on valentines day. I get frustrated over these little things because they are not the way I am used to, and, in some cases, they are just not right (notifications for one). But then I use Facetime or Skype Video chat and those gripes of mine are a little more tolerable. So far, I have found a work-around for the alerts, using "alarmed", which is a great app if you are used to getting repeating notifications for reminders etc. It will nag you every minute if you want it to, until you acknowledge the reminder or snooze.

I really do like the polish of iOS in general, everything is smooth. I think I am going to stick with the iphone for now. I will wait and see what iOS5 has to offer. If I am still disappointed when my upgrade comes around again, I imagine that Android will have progressed tremendously and I will gladly give Android another shot. Good luck!
    02-21-2011 10:04 AM
    I have the Incredible and am contemplating making the switch but after reading this thread it seems like the disadvantages outweigh the advantages lol :/
    02-21-2011 10:46 AM
    @eye4ni - sounds fair. I hope the notifications are updated in the summer. If not, I may jailbreak. Welcome to the family, and glad you're staying.
    02-21-2011 11:04 AM
    I have the Incredible and am contemplating making the switch but after reading this thread it seems like the disadvantages outweigh the advantages lol :/
    One of the big factors for me was the APPS. Apple gets all the love here, Android is getting better, but iPhone just seems to have them all. I thought about this for a long time, and I really want the widest selection/highest quality apps on my smartphone, and I am pretty sure that iphone wins that battle over Android. I was also getting impatient for Skype video chat on my Evo, and it started to look like I would be waiting quite a while for it. I had a smartphone with all the hardware (ffc) but no software. I know that there are other 3rd part apps available like Tango etc., but all of my friends/family use Skype. Also, Facetime is quite freaking awesome, I might add....

Android is certainly coming along quite well, I think in another year or two it is going to be matured as an OS like iOS is right now. I really can't wait to see what comes in the next couple of years.

For now, I am going to use this iphone to it's fullest extent. I've got 22 months till next upgrade....
    02-21-2011 12:36 PM
    There are two things that I can say I am sold on iOS vs. Android. One is the battery. I enjoy the fact that I do not need to worry about where my charger is if I use the phone a little bit. With the evo I always had a charger nearby. Also, the typing experience seems to be a lot better IMO than on the android keyboards. I am not a user of swipe and type just fine with the thumbs. Again these are my opinions.

The free map apps aren't as nice. I may very well be paying some $$$ for one of the paid apps in a bit. For the most part I know where I am going so I don't need to have a nav app myself.

Every phone I would get I would compare and try to get to look like the iPhone. For me, that is where I went. Others will find other phones more appealing and that is the great thing. You get choice.
    02-21-2011 01:46 PM
    Here are my impressions after having used the Verizon iPhone4 for a full 7 days.

As background, I switched from a Droid Incredible (had it since Launch Day, 4/2010) and am a big fan of the Android OS. I jailbroke my ViP4 to customize it as close to the way I had my Incredible set up.

iPhone 4 Pros:
    1. Battery Life - talking/texting/e-mailing for a full day is no prob.
    2. Beautiful design - it feels like a high-end, luxury watch
    3. FaceTime - works great, seamless operation
    4. Better reception on the iPhone. There are numerous areas in my neighborhood where my Incredible had a very weak signal. The iPhone delivers clear calls that do not drop out. Calls connect much faster to the network than the Inc.
    5. Truly delivers the overall Apple experience - I have been a longtime user of MAC computers and love the little touches built-in to the iPhone. For instance, the "woosh" jet fighter tone that alerts you that an e-mail has been sent successfully.
    6. The sheer volume of apps - no contest vs. Android Market. Plus, the apps work seamlessly with the OS.

Droid Incredible Pros:
    1. Ability to swap in another battery
    2. Browser/Flash support - web-browsing experience is great
    3. Snapdragon processor is very fast; response is very snappy
    4. Widgets
    5. The Google Suite of applications - integrated maps/navigation (best avail., hands down), threaded messages capability if you use Gmail.
    6. LED notification light
    7. Ability to customize just about every setting on the phone
    8. Live wallpapers - a novelty, but still fun nevertheless
    9. Adding attachments to e-mail messages are much easier with the Android OS.

iPhone4 Cons:
    1.) I miss the haptic feedback (keys that vibrate when pressed) on my Incredible. It really helps when typing on a touch screen. There is a jailbreak app called "Haptic Pro," which I installed, but it's not the same as having it built-in from the factory.
    2.) The iPhone is a bit heavier, ~0.6g heavier than the Inc.
    3.) The iPhone's vibrate motor is much weaker than the Inc.
    4.) It may be a minor thing for most people, but I really like/miss the optical joystick on the Inc., it allows you to precisely navigate to the spot you want when typing/editing.
    5.) Jailbreaking and downloading apps to customize the phone is time-consuming. Many of the notification options (custom ringtones, SMS alerts, e-mail tones) are easily customizable right out of the box with an Android phone.

These are just initial observations from someone who is a big fan of the Android OS. However, I am leaning towards keeping my iPhone because the reception/signal strength is so much better (at least in my area) than my Inc.

I will continue to put the iPhone through its paces for 6 more days before deciding whether to keep or return. I really want to love it because of the seamless integration with my other Apple devices......
    02-22-2011 12:04 AM
    4.) It may be a minor thing for most people, but I really like/miss the optical joystick on the Inc., it allows you to precisely navigate to the spot you want when typing/editing.
    Tap where you want to place the cursor. If you hold a second, a magnifying glass pops up. I find this much faster than the "joystick" like method on the palm pre.
    tourstagefan likes this.
    02-22-2011 06:21 AM
    Tomorrow, UPS is delivering my very first iPhone. I've wanted one since it came out, but was on Verizon and wasn't willing to switch. After a Blackberry Storm 2 and a Samsung Fascinate, I've gotten to a point where I can't stand having a phone that will always be second best. I also got my wife an iPhone, so pretty soon we'll be facetiming like pros. All the changes that are coming with iOS will eliminate any problems I would have had coming from Android. Can't wait to open the box tomorrow and start making it my own.
    10-10-2011 12:58 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD