UPDATE on page 4.

Received my Verizon iPhone yesterday and I'm in love with it, but I've been having a problem.

This has happened three times in the last day. I'm sitting at work and I'll have 5/5 or 4/5 bars. Then all of a sudden it drops to 1/5 bars and then to "Searching..." Eventually I just get "No Service." I'm not even holding the phone and I have a case on it already. Wifi on, wifi off, no difference. Case on, case off, no difference.

To solve the problem I've rebooted it (worked fine). Then it happened again and once again rebooted. Just happened a third time and I reset the network settings (which also does a restart). I'm back in action, but I'm worried this will keep happening.

I've NEVER had reception problems with any other phone in my work office.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by x2jag2x; 02-11-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    02-10-2011 12:56 PM
    Dial *228
    Option 2
    Wait for the music to complete
    Restart your phone

Needs this periodically to update the Towers.....good luck
    02-10-2011 01:05 PM
    Also make sure you have "Data Roaming" turned on.
    02-10-2011 01:11 PM
    Sounds suspiciously like the "Death Grip" issue that was highly publicized for the AT&T version on release.

On a note of Data Roaming: Verizon charges a LOT for data roaming, just FYI. It's in the fine print of your contract (I read it when I had a Droid).
    02-10-2011 01:27 PM
    Sounds suspiciously like the "Death Grip" issue that was highly publicized for the AT&T version on release.

On a note of Data Roaming: Verizon charges a LOT for data roaming, just FYI. It's in the fine print of your contract (I read it when I had a Droid).
    Except it sounds absolutely nothing like the death grip given:

I'm not even holding the phone and I have a case on it already.
    02-10-2011 01:29 PM
    People reported that at first too, though, if I remember correctly.

Of course, many of those reports were later proven to be blown way out of proportion.

Updating the PRL would be a good start. I was just pointing out the similarities. There's a thread about the "Death Hug" on this very forum
    02-10-2011 01:31 PM
    Great, thank you for the responses everyone. I'll try to reset my PRL.
    02-10-2011 01:39 PM

That may be correct on the roaming charges but as long as you are in the US that would not apply. I had an issue with my signal and found that Data Roaming was turned off and after talking with tech I was losing the Verizon data signal not having that on.
    02-10-2011 01:48 PM
    There could possibly be a problem with the cell tower. I see you're in OH and I sure you have had a lot of winter weather lately. Could be an intermittently bad antenna (s) on the tower or just ice in the antenna (s). Ice, snow and wind play havoc on antennas, feed lines and connectors.
    02-10-2011 01:59 PM
    There could possibly be a problem with the cell tower. I see you're in OH and I sure you have had a lot of winter weather lately. Could be an intermittently bad antenna (s) on the tower or just ice in the antenna (s). Ice, snow and wind play havoc on antennas, feed lines and connectors.
    That's a good point, it was -2 deg this morning. I was having a really odd issue. My 3G has chagnged to an "o"...... I will post a pic.
    02-10-2011 02:01 PM

Check out where it should say 3G right after Verizon.
    This threw me for a loop till I found out what it meant.
    02-10-2011 02:06 PM
    Sorry, I guess I should actually fill out my info. No icy weather here. I'm in sunny southern California - it's 75 degrees out right now. (Sorry East Coasters lol)
    02-10-2011 02:07 PM
    What does the "o" mean? I've had that happen to me as well.
    02-10-2011 02:07 PM
    What does the "o" mean? I've had that happen to me as well.
    It was because my "Data Roaming" was turned off and the iPhone was trying to pick up other cell providers signal. Kind of strange.
    02-10-2011 02:09 PM
    That's a good point, it was -2 deg this morning. I was having a really odd issue. My 3G has chagnged to an "o"...... I will post a pic.
    I also had my signal go to "o" today. I was curious to know what it means, although I am sure it isn't anything good.
    02-10-2011 02:10 PM
    I also had my signal go to "o" today. I was curious to know what it means, although I am sure it isn't anything good.
    Is your Data Roaming on or off????

I do know it's not good. You lose data connection and my emails were not coming in.
    02-10-2011 02:11 PM
    The "o" indicates that you are on the 1X data network (2G) instead of on the 3G data network.
    02-10-2011 02:16 PM
    No problems on Long Island. better reception than my BB Storm
    02-10-2011 02:35 PM
    Well, doing the *228 deal (and turning on data roaming) has worked well so far. Fingers crossed.
    02-10-2011 02:42 PM
    Well, doing the *228 deal (and turning on data roaming) has worked well so far. Fingers crossed.
    That should work, I did that this morning and have had no problems since. Knock on wood! LOL
    02-10-2011 02:44 PM
    "o" means your getting NO data coverage. It DOES NOT MEAN its 2G as others are saying
    02-10-2011 02:54 PM
    "o" means your getting NO data coverage. It DOES NOT MEAN its 2G as others are saying
    No it doesn't. It means you are getting 1X (2G) data.... this is straight from the Apple website...

iOS: Understanding cellular data networks
    02-10-2011 03:20 PM
    So are there definitely no additional charges for data roaming in the U.S.? Mine was turned off as well.
    02-10-2011 03:28 PM
    @garz
    he just spits the most random most of the time false info anywhere. maybe they should do a little research before you spread false info! smh
    02-10-2011 03:38 PM
    So are there definitely no additional charges for data roaming in the U.S.? Mine was turned off as well.
    Not according to CS, the data roaming is for overseas usage. If somone knows different please let me know.
    02-10-2011 03:46 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD