Ok, so I have been trying to activate my FaceTime and have had no luck. Can anyone give me some pointers. I have turned it off and on so many times I lost count. I am connected to my wifi at home. I have reset the phone too, no luck. Help please.
    bazzabazza likes this.
    02-08-2011 05:24 PM
    Ok, so I have been trying to activate my FaceTime and have had no luck. Can anyone give me some pointers. I have turned it off and on so many times I lost count. I am connected to my wifi at home. I have reset the phone too, no luck. Help please.
    Who have you called with facetime? Did they try to facetime you?
    02-08-2011 05:39 PM
    Haven't tried to make a call yet because it says it is not activated and the option is not there when want to call my brother. He has an iPod touch with FaceTime.
    02-08-2011 05:49 PM
    FWIW im having the same exact problem. no verzion in the task bar nor the option to face time, just says waiting for activation. I spent allday on the phone with verizon and apple, and apparently their servers got overloaded and arent bouncing back the silent sms to activate it. not really sure why that would make it show 3g and not verizon at the top. but this is bugging me just as bad as you trust me the verizon guy said by tommorow morning they are addressing this issue
    02-08-2011 05:52 PM
    Well if that is the only glitch with the phone and preorder I think I will survive, but I would like for it to work asap. Does anyone have it working on the VIP?
    Last edited by jb1dsl; 02-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.
    02-08-2011 06:00 PM
    A wifi connection is needed
    02-08-2011 06:16 PM
    A wifi connection is needed
    Read first post: home wifi
    02-08-2011 06:18 PM
    FWIW im having the same exact problem. no verzion in the task bar nor the option to face time, just says waiting for activation. I spent allday on the phone with verizon and apple, and apparently their servers got overloaded and arent bouncing back the silent sms to activate it. not really sure why that would make it show 3g and not verizon at the top. but this is bugging me just as bad as you trust me the verizon guy said by tommorow morning they are addressing this issue
    I helped my daughter activate her VZW iPhone4 this afternoon.. .took every bit of about 3 minutes from connecting it to iTunes to getting the ACTIVATED sms message...
    02-08-2011 06:33 PM
    Well if that is the only glitch with the phone and preorder I think I will survive, but I would like for it to work asap. Does anyone have it working on the VIP?
    right i knew it was too good to be true still enjoying the dog **** out of this device and so is the misses (whom claimed she would be blackberry for life)
    02-08-2011 06:34 PM
    I had the same problem last night. Check which software version you are on because I was on 4.2.5, so I updated to 4.2.6 and then FaceTime worked for me. Hope this helps.
    02-08-2011 06:37 PM
    4.2.6 here
    02-08-2011 06:58 PM
    Maybe I should try and do it again while synced to iTunes??
    02-08-2011 07:14 PM
    worked fine for me, v4.2.6
    02-08-2011 07:16 PM
    Just tried it and got the ol waiting for activation.
    02-08-2011 07:20 PM
    would the phone come with outdated software? I feel that verizon should send the phones with the most recent ios. This must have been a network problem.
    02-08-2011 07:21 PM
    I'm sure the phones were built and packaged before the new firmware was accepted.
    02-08-2011 07:35 PM
    I have an AT&T iPhone and my wife got her VZW yesterday. We were able to Facetime each other over WiFi.

Just make sure you have enabled Facetime by going to settings/Phone and turning Facetime on.
    02-08-2011 07:44 PM
    That is where I'm getting the waiting for activation message.
    02-08-2011 07:48 PM
    That is where I'm getting the waiting for activation message.
    Only other suggestion would be to try to re-active your iPhone by dialing *228 & choosing option 1 (it should only take about 30 seconds to complete). If that doesn't work I'd plug the iPhone into iTunes, back it up, then restore. By restoring you wipe the device completely which makes the iPhone reactivate. Then all you have to do is chose to restore from the backup you just had and your iPhone will be back to where it was (minus possibly a couple of passwords you may have to re-enter)

Good luck
    02-08-2011 07:56 PM
    here is what i get
    02-08-2011 08:00 PM
    here is what i get
    Did you try the steps I listed above? If both those didn't work, if you have a Apple store close by go to apple.com (or use the apple store app on your phone) and setup a free appointment with the Genius bar and they should be able to help you.

I'm sure a Verizon store could too but starting the 10th they will be packed (Apple store won't be far behind either). So I'd go tomorrow if I were you.
    02-08-2011 08:11 PM
    I haven't tried those steps yet. No apple store even remotely close and the V store reps are very disappointing here.
    02-08-2011 08:18 PM
    Tried *228 but a no go there too. I guess I will try the iTunes restore and activate.
    02-08-2011 08:23 PM
    Jumped over to the apple.com forums and looks like it has something to do with the phone not registering properly on the V network. See at the top of the screen capture it doesn't say Verizon ever. Apple and Verizon are working on a fix for the problem. Most I'm reading are old ALLTEL customers like me. Looks like they have tried all the tactics you guys said try but no fix yet. Will keep ya posted when there is a fix.
    02-08-2011 08:58 PM
    Jumped over to the apple.com forums and looks like it has something to do with the phone not registering properly on the V network. See at the top of the screen capture it doesn't say Verizon ever. Apple and Verizon are working on a fix for the problem. Most I'm reading are old ALLTEL customers like me. Looks like they have tried all the tactics you guys said try but no fix yet. Will keep ya posted when there is a fix.
    A guy on the VZW forums had the same problem. He was on an Alltel plan. He changed to a Verizon plan and now his FaceTime works and it says Verizon in the menu bar at the top. I am also on an Alltel plan. It's not worth $13 a month for me to have my phone say Verizon on it unless there is some other benefit that I am not aware of in switching.
    02-08-2011 09:51 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD