How is the GPS?

ProEvo

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Navigon...Love every second. Just make sure you have a cig lighter or means of charging. Now you have a reply...;)

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I've used MapQuest which is free btw and its voice turn by turn worked well even with Pandora streaming in the background.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The hardware of the GPS chip in the Verizon iPhone seems to be as good or better than any stand alone Garmin or TomTom that I have experience with - the key is the app. You need a good one. If you go to the App Store, and sort them by "Most Popular" there's a reason that the top ones are there - they work well. All you have to do is decide if you want an app that loads a full set of maps to your phone, or - if you want to rely on caching maps from "the cloud" as you go... personally, I've used the Garmin app and Telenav - both of which have maps "in the cloud" and TomTom & Navigon - which load maps to the phone. I prefer Navigon - as it has a full map, and gives me a user experience closest to a Garmin Nuvi 7xx or better stand-alone gps - and Navigon, now that Garmin owns them - is only going to get better.

Also - the Navigon app also kicks butt on an iPad... even a wifi one - with the caveat that you need an external source for a GPS receiver - there are bluetooth ones, or a device called BadElf that plugs into the charging/data port on a wifi iPad.

Last edited:

rdrum

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
The hardware of the GPS chip in the Verizon iPhone seems to be as good or better than any stand alone Garmin or TomTom that I have experience with - the key is the app. You need a good one. If you go to the App Store, and sort them by "Most Popular" there's a reason that the top ones are there - they work well. All you have to do is decide if you want an app that loads a full set of maps to your phone, or - if you want to rely on caching maps from "the cloud" as you go... personally, I've used the Garmin app and Telenav - both of which have maps "in the cloud" and TomTom & Navigon - which load maps to the phone. I prefer Navigon - as it has a full map, and gives me a user experience closest to a Garmin Nuvi 7xx or better stand-alone gps - and Navigon, now that Garmin owns them - is only going to get better.

I also have Navigon and like it quite a bit. I used MotionX GPS Drive on a recent trip to Florida and it worked well enough, but noticed that it had a tougher time finding GPS signal than Navigon. I'll likely stick with Navigon as my primary tool and only use MotionX as a backup.

L_Boogie820

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
+100 for Navigon...Im gonna try mapquest...Im not crazy about them though. Google Maps>Mapquest ...too bad I couldn't have that ported over from Android lol. :x

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
+100 for Navigon...Im gonna try mapquest...Im not crazy about them though. Google Maps>Mapquest ...too bad I couldn't have that ported over from Android lol. :x

MapQuest from my experience definitely performed better on my Androids than it did on my iPhones.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77