downloading apps question for a soon to be iPhone owner . .

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll soon have 2 new Verizon iPhones (1 each for me and my wife), and I'll be the one maintaining both iPhones (backups, syncs etc....)

From research and reading posts on this site, I understand that I can use my itunes account on computer (wife does not have an itunes account); buy apps from itunes appstore and load purchased apps on both iPhones. ie: buy an app once and load it on both iPhones without buying it again (don't have to buy same app twice - one for each phone) - so far, so good.

Question:

When wife buys an app using her iPhone (not thru computer itunes - appstore), does she need to login with my itunes account from her phone? In other words, if she buys an app on her phone and I later "backup" her iPhone on computer on my itunes account, can I load her app onto my iPhone without buying it again??

Hope this makes sense to someone . . I'm almost confusing myself as I write this.

jharo

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I believe that she has to log onto your iTunes account for you to share new purchases. Once an app is purchased, you don't even have to back up onto iTunes to share it the app. You can just go to purchase the app in the App Store and it will tell you that you already purchased the app and ask if you would like to download it again.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
yes just make sure when you sync up both phones for the first time they are both under your iTunes account... AND don't add contacts or buy any apps until you sync it with your iTunes... if you do, it'll all have to be erased before it'll sync... common error people have made

Reactions: shinbone

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
yes just make sure when you sync up both phones for the first time they are both under your iTunes account... AND don't add contacts or buy any apps until you sync it with your iTunes... if you do, it'll all have to be erased before it'll sync... common error people have made

so, once "her iPhone" is synced to my itunes account, she can buy/download apps using her handset and she does not have to login to my itunes account everytime she buys an app using her iPhone??

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Every time you make an iTunes purchase (or update an app) you are asked for the password to the iTunes account, so NO. She will have to log in if she updates or makes a purchase from her phone.

skytower31

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Will iTunes still see these as two separate devices? Meaning will I still be able to choose which apps and music get synced to each device?

Thanks.

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Will iTunes still see these as two separate devices? Meaning will I still be able to choose which apps and music get synced to each device?

Thanks.

From what I understand . . as long as you give each device a different name ("myphone", "wifephone"), itunes will see the devices seperately. From there, each time you connect the iPhone, itunes will recognize if you connected "myphone" or "wifephone" and you can customize what goes onto the device.

lr_zuber

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
My husband and I are planning on sharing 1 iTunes account and syncing with "my" laptop. We have 2 Mac's and 2 PC's. We currently share music throughout the house, but even with Home Sharing (via iTunes) [from what I can tell...] you still have to update the apps on both computers, which anyone with Satellite internet can tell you, SAVE THE DOWNLOAD MBs! My laptop knows the difference between the 2 iPods & iPad, so I'm sure it's the same with the iPhones. (They will have different serial numbers and isn't that what iTunes probably reads off of, not the given name?)

shinbone

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
..... you still have to update the apps on both computers, which anyone with Satellite internet can tell you, SAVE THE DOWNLOAD MBs! ......

Kinda lost me here about "updating apps on both computers".

I have 2 computers at home (desktop and laptop); have itunes installed on both computers and plan on backing up/downloading/syncing my iPhones using my desktop computer. What do I need to do to "update apps" on my laptop after using my desktop computer to backup my iPhone?

Also, what do you mean by "save the download MBs"?

Thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Evidently lr.zuber is on satellite internet, which can be pricey, but irrelevant to the thread.

If you have updated the apps on your iPhone and sync to your desktop, the desktop is automagically updated. If you haven't done a sync, and want to update from your computer, go to Apps in iTunes and you'll see a number to the right showing how many updates are available. Then in the big window on the right at the bottom right it offers to update them for you.

lr_zuber

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Kinda lost me here about "updating apps on both computers".

I have 2 computers at home (desktop and laptop); have itunes installed on both computers and plan on backing up/downloading/syncing my iPhones using my desktop computer. What do I need to do to "update apps" on my laptop after using my desktop computer to backup my iPhone?

Also, what do you mean by "save the download MBs"?

Thanks

Evidently lr.zuber is on satellite internet, which can be pricey, but irrelevant to the thread.

Not entirely irrelevant.

If you have 1 phone syncing to 1 pc and a 2nd to another --- Just like you can share your music via iTunes with Home Sharing, you can share Apps. Yes, like Alli said, if you update your Apps on your phone, sync w/ it's PC, it's automatically updated. HOWEVER, your 2nd phone/PC combo IS NOT. You would have to update Phone #2 or it's PC. So that requires every App you use to be updated on both PC's or their phones. If you use 1 PC for both phones, you only have to update one of the above (pc or either phone), and Sync. Does that make any since?

I say, for me, to save the download megabites, because with my internet provider, we are only allowed so many download megabites. If I have to download it twice, it's a waste of the megabites, which are only 425MB/day. Thankfully there's an unlimited time window (1am-6am) that we can download large updates. If you don't have to worry about your downloads, then it won't pertain to you. But like some Data plans on phones are XXXMB or XXXGB/month, we have 425MB/day on our home internet.

SO, to update your laptop apps, you'd have to re-download the updates, or delete the apps and re-transfer to your laptop as you originally did with Home Sharing.

CKisses

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

Newbie here.....can you clarify the statement in bold? Do you mean add contacts or buy apps from the iPhone headset only? I have been on iTunes downloading apps for when I do (finally) get my phone. Will these apps be wiped out during my first sync/set-up?

Thanks

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Newbie here.....can you clarify the statement in bold? Do you mean add contacts or buy apps from the iPhone headset only? I have been on iTunes downloading apps for when I do (finally) get my phone. Will these apps be wiped out during my first sync/set-up?

Thanks

No, they will not be wiped out, they will be sync'd to your new phone.

But you must establish syncing prior to adding anything to your iPhone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2