BB vs iPhone POP3 Email

lv1

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When using IPhone to retrieve email from pop3 is there an option to leave a copy of the email on the pop3 server? With BB there is.

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It's not a matter of "getting an Exchange Service" but rather a matter of setting up your Gmail as an Exchange account.

When you setup your first email account (or subsequent accounts via Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Add Account...) you will be presented with a choice of various email account "types"; Microsoft Exchange, mobileMe, Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, other. Select MS Exchange and proceed accordingly.

The Email and Username is your full address (including the @gmail.com portion).

Leave the Domain blank.

You'll eventually be prompted for a Server name. Enter "m.google.com"

That should do it, after which you can select Mail, Contacts and/or Calendars to sync, how many days to sync (for mail) and which Mail folders to push (by default it will be you inbox, but you can select any other folder - label - you've setup for you gmail account).

Appreciate your advice. I'm not sure if I will use Google's Exchange/ActiveSync Service, but I will from all accounts need to use a third party as I don't want to build an Exchange Server.

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Appreciate your advice. I'm not sure if I will use Google's Exchange/ActiveSync Service, but I will from all accounts need to use a third party as I don't want to build an Exchange Server.

Good lord man, you don't need to invest in 3rd party sw (unless you count gmail as 3rd party) and you certainly don't need to "build" anything. MS Exchange/Active Sync is one of the options built into IOS.

I've tried to be as clear as I can, but this link may clarify things more for you:

Set Up Your Apple Device for Google Sync : Mail, Calendar, & Contacts - Google Mobile Help

Reactions: TRACC

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Gmail is 3rd party as is Hotmail (Microsoft), Yahoo etc. I have reasons why I am not leaning towards any of those, but I haven't made up my mind. My alternative is only 5-6.00/month which is minimal and has its benefits. The build of the Exchange Server was more of....I certainly wouldn't go that far, but I do have servers running just not Exchange.
I do appreciate your suggestions though as I do realize they work for many.

Kale58

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I'll say this one more time: you don't need your own server.

If you choose not to use google or hotmail or yahoo or any other cloud based service, that's your perogative. But if you're planning to not use them because you think you need your own server running exchange, that's incorrect. MS Exchange (ActiveSync) is a service already available to IOS with no additional requirements (other than to be using supported mail service such as gmail).

Reactions: TRACC

TRACC

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Once again I do appreciate your advice, but I'm not sure why you think that I would build/use my own server. If I led you to believe that I have intentions to build one then I didn't make myself clear. I am not going to build an Exchange Server. I don't think I ever mentioned that I would. In fact, I mentioned a number of times that I would need to use a third party service and they are all SaaS via their own Exchange Service offerings whether it's Apple, Google or any number of other company's products/apps. I also mentioned that I am not leaning towards the Google, Yahoo, Hotmail etc. offerings as they might not be the best solution for my environment. With that said I thank you again for your concern and I am going to review my options and find the best solution that works for my situation............

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2