Help! Mysteriously Covert Data Usage

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Both my Wife and I have an iPhone 4 and we just noticed something odd about our Data usage. We both have the 200MB Data plan and my Data use is almost being used up and I use it alot less than my wife. When I checked on my summary online I found that both my Wife's and my phone are using our 3G Data around 1am to 2:30am on a semi-regular basis when we are asleep and we also have WiFi at home. :eek:

I'm concerned that some rouge app is sending my data back to a shady developer. But at the very least I am upset I'm not getting to use most of the data plan I am paying for.

I've read some posts that Apple designed iOS4 to "phone home" on a regular basis to keep track of useage patterns and other "Information". At first I thought it was a conspiracy theory but I'm starting to wonder now.

There might be other times that my phone is accessing the internet without my permission, but these are the only ones that I am sure are not from my use. Has anyone else experienced this and been able to track down the source? I've talked to both AT&T and Apple, both were unable to help track down what was happening and adamant that it wasn't anything they were doing. Apple suggested a soft reset each night to clear the memory and to turn off Location Services, but they weren't sure that would fix the problem.

If anyone has the same problem or has any suggestions I would love to hear from you.

Toymaker

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, that could explain it however I am getting charged for it because I just got a warning that I am close to exceeding my limit. If that is the case they need sperate their data or go back to unlimited data.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2