Hi, i just ordered an iPhone 4 yesterday. And was wondering, from those people who are iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big? How sensitive is it to get one? Do you think you can maybe throw in some pictures?

Thanks, Alex
    09-03-2010 08:52 PM
    I have a couple of big scratches on the antenna. I dropped my phone on a driveway. There are also a few dozen tiny scratches from being in my pocket with coins. The glass on both sides is pristine though. I don't think it's easy to scratch the glass.
    09-03-2010 09:00 PM
    I have a couple of big scratches on the antenna. I dropped my phone on a driveway. There are also a few dozen tiny scratches from being in my pocket with coins. The glass on both sides is pristine though. I don't think it's easy to scratch the glass.
    So it's easier to scratch the stainless steal than glass? I actually tried that in the store, and scratching the stainless steal is like scratching the plastic with a key. So i agree with you.

Thanks(:
    09-03-2010 09:06 PM
    So it's easier to scratch the stainless steal than glass? I actually tried that in the store, and scratching the stainless steal is like scratching the plastic with a key. So i agree with you.

Thanks(:
    To be honest, the scratches are barely noticeable since the metal band is such a small component compared to the glass.
    09-03-2010 09:13 PM
    no scratches on mine
    09-03-2010 09:20 PM
    No scratches yet. I got mine launch day.
    09-03-2010 10:55 PM
    I guess Im anal about my devices, I didnt leave the store until I had a case and screen protector on it-too OCD I guess.
    09-04-2010 10:39 AM
    No scratches yet. I got mine launch day.
    Ditto. A bumper and Ghost Armor screen protector (front and back) ensure that.
    09-04-2010 11:18 AM
    I don't have any scratches yet but the first thing I do is slap it in a case and protect the screen.
    09-06-2010 03:22 AM
    Hi, i just ordered an iPhone 4 yesterday. And was wondering, from those people who are iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big? How sensitive is it to get one? Do you think you can maybe throw in some pictures?

Thanks, Alex

"iPhone 4 owners, is there a scratch on your glossy device? If there is, how big?" "How sensitive is it to get one?"

You have got to be kidding me.
    I like my iPhone but I swear some of the thread topics here...eh
    If your 15 and a girl, disregard my comments...I understand.
    09-06-2010 02:35 PM
    I have some slight wear on the antenna and one tiny scratch on the back that isn't really noticeable. However I use the bumper now and that thing takes a beating. The bumper is all scuffed up and I question its durability.
    09-06-2010 03:05 PM
    I left mine naked for quite a while. Didn't drop the thing once, and I ended up with hairline scratches on both the front and back. They bug me, but I'm a little OCD. Nothing major, but I'd definitely recommend some kind of case and/or screen protector.
    09-06-2010 04:42 PM
    I got mine a week after launch day and never put it in any case or a screen protector on it. I've dropped it a few times now and not a scratch on either the glass or the metal band. Very robust body! Very happy.
    09-06-2010 06:00 PM

Thanks, Alex
    Sort of like riding a motorcycle. There are those who have crashed and those who are about to crash, but it will happen. Get a screen protector.
    09-06-2010 07:27 PM
    I think if scratches would bother you, you should get a case and/or screen protector.
    09-06-2010 10:11 PM
    One thing about iPhones in general, they look much better than other phones after time. My 3GS had a bunch of scratches on the plastic back, but still looked much better after a year than my Blackberry did after 6 months. The glass screen helps out a lot with scratches from stuff like coins and keys.
    09-07-2010 12:56 AM
    i was under the impression that the front and back of the iPhone 4 were un-markable due to some technologically advanced coating, i'm sure i read it on the apple website i will have a look...

...here we are, this is a sentence taken direst from the apple website

"Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating front and back"

i know that says fingerprint resistant but i'm sure i heard somewhere that it was resistant to scratches also, so much so they reckon you can put it in your pocket with your keys and it comes out unscathed
    09-07-2010 08:56 AM
    As it has been stated before in several threads, the iPhone 4's glass is 20x harder than plastic. That doesn't mean it is unscratchable. Keys, probably not since glass is harder (on the Moh's Hardness Scale) than keys. Glass is rated at a 7 and steel is rated at 4.5. Hardened steel is rated at 7.5 (which would scratch glass). So there are many substances that will scratch glass. My tungsten ring is rated at 9.5...it will scratch the glass screens no problem. It all comes down to science.
    09-07-2010 11:18 AM
    that sounded mighty impressive, but science is a bit too far over my head lol
    09-07-2010 11:23 AM
    i know that says fingerprint resistant but i'm sure i heard somewhere that it was resistant to scratches also, so much so they reckon you can put it in your pocket with your keys and it comes out unscathed
    As markunsaker was trying to say, "Scratch-resistant" doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be scratched because it most definitely can.
    09-07-2010 11:25 AM
    I actually have a scratch from something that got in between the belkin case and the back of the phone...its very faint but its there, i was rather unhappy and made sure to fully wipe down the phone before putting the case back on...
    09-07-2010 11:32 AM
    I actually have a scratch from something that got in between the belkin case and the back of the phone...its very faint but its there, i was rather unhappy and made sure to fully wipe down the phone before putting the case back on...
    That's what worries me about the slider cases...they're so snug if you had a grain of anything in it, you'd have a scratch the length of the phone!

And no, I'm not 15..... by a LOT!
    09-07-2010 11:46 AM
    that is unlucky, i have a back protector for mine as well as the case to go around it, i had multiple cases for my 3G and non of them satisfied my needs but this one i have for the 4G is perfect, i will continue to look for others though just so i can change them every so often
    09-07-2010 11:48 AM
    The sad part was i cleaned the back of the phone off and even looked at it pretty closely before putting the case on, but the clear plastic made it really tough to see some of the little specs of stuff on it, and i guess something with grit was on there too. My wife laughed at me because she said the "scratch" i refer to is truly non-existant, but its like a brand new black paint job on a car, when its yours, you see EVERYTHING.
    09-07-2010 12:07 PM
    but its like a brand new black paint job on a car, when its yours, you see EVERYTHING.
    i know that's right !
    09-07-2010 12:17 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD