CalDAV vs. Exchange

scarlettpumpkin

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between using the calDAv option for your google calendar vs. using exchange to sync your google calendar? Really, I am trying to see if I can find a way to respond to my calendar invites. The iPhone user guide says I should be able to do this using exchange or calDAV, but when I get an invite I don't see it in the invite section of my calendar - just the email notification that I receive an invite. Am I doing something wrong or does google not support that feature?

karrott

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I also use Google Calendar with my iPhone, and I have it set up using Exchange. But no matter which way you choose, I'm pretty sure that Google handles all invites through email. It's a pain, but I don't think there are any ways around it. Sorry. :(

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Not 100% sure about this, but I think you can do all that via the Google Calendar web app. Not an ideal solution, but could be a workaround for you if you add a homescreen icon bookmark.

peacedog

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I use Exchange, and it works perfectly. In fact, my wife and I share one google account where we share calendar and contacts. Whenever I add a contact or appointment, it shows up on her phone within 15 seconds. It is awesome!

Also what is cool with contacts... only the ones marked as "My Contacts" appear on your iphone contact list. But ALL of them are available if you search. Why is this useful for me? MY wife doesn't want the 300+ contacts of my co-workers, parent's friends, etc appearing on the phone. Only the contacts that we both want to share are visible.

Now my wife stops asking me for phone numbers. And I no longer have to remind her of her friends' birthdays. :)

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I think the original poster's issue is that even though Exchange works like you're saying it does, the calendar invites aren't available via the calendar screen. Do you use invitations with your Google cal?

scarlettpumpkin

May 20, 2010
Visit site
@Massie - exactly. I get the appointment on my calendar as well but I can't preview it and I can't accept or reject the invite. Thanks for the suggestion about using google calendar via the browser. At least I can accept or eject the invite that way...not ideal but it's a work-around. It's really the only thing that I miss about my blackberry - this was so seamless with my curve.

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
There's also this option, but I've never used it. (And it's not free.) I'll keep my ears open for a native solution.

For anyone interested in the web app solution, have a look here.

Last edited:

Life as Bryan

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I know (now) that with MobileMe Calendar Beta you can do calendar just like exchange where you get a badge number, accept them ON the phone JUST like exchange. Could be work looking into...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4