FaceTime is cool and all, but I only know about 4-5 people with iPhone 4 and don't really talk to them a lot...when does everyone think Skype or other apps will pop up so you can use the front camera for web-cam?
    06-30-2010 05:29 PM
    Sometime between now and when Apple releases an API letting third parties use the front camera for video chats.

I'd wager sometime in the fall around the iPod event at the end of the summer. New iPod Touch, iPad gets iOS 4, and iPhone 4 gets iOS 4.1 with video chat API. Maybe even the new iPod Touch will get it too. Don't hold your breadth on it working over 3G though for any app.
    06-30-2010 05:32 PM
    Not soon.

1. Skype already charges for skype-to-skype over 3G starting in August. They will charge for video calls over 3G as well, and...
    2. If AT&T won't let Apple do it over 3G, they sure as hell are not letting Skype.

Sorry

But maybe Skype will release a version that does it over WiFi, and we can use 3GUnrestrictor for it via jailbreak.
    06-30-2010 05:35 PM
    Video chat over 3G will suck. If it worked well the phone wouldn't be restricted to wifi. I used FaceTime for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. I was blown away with how well it worked.
    06-30-2010 05:46 PM
    cool, figured I get an idea...I"m hoping the JB comes out later this week, i need mywi
    07-01-2010 12:09 AM
    Video chat over 3G will suck. If it worked well the phone wouldn't be restricted to wifi. I used FaceTime for the first time yesterday. It was amazing. I was blown away with how well it worked.
    2-3 mbps 3G speed will be fine for facetime.
    07-01-2010 12:18 AM
    The carriers must allow it. Steve did say in
    the keynote that they would it could be
    available depending on the carrier.

I must agree though, it worked well over wifi,
    but I can't wait until I can jailbreak and get
    it to work over 3G
    07-01-2010 12:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD