Official switching from BlackBerry to iPhone 4 thread

bellizima

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
WElcome! I am new to i4 and the only thing i miss about my 9700 is the battery life. If you talk alot be prepared to re charge fully early afternoon. If I get down to 30 % and have to take a conference call I am screwed w out a power cord. Edge and turning location services and screen brightness down help alot.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
WElcome! I am new to i4 and the only thing i miss about my 9700 is the battery life. If you talk alot be prepared to re charge fully early afternoon. If I get down to 30 % and have to take a conference call I am screwed w out a power cord. Edge and turning location services and screen brightness down help alot.

I keep a charge cable everywhere. One in the car, two at home, two at the office, one in the studio. They're pretty cheap at Amazon.

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
Yaayy I'm a Llama again! (bonus points if you know the movie!)

But seriously, found someone on Craigslist to trade their white 3gs for my Blackberry Torch, so I'm officially back! Having this 3gs should enable me to hold off upgrading until summer when iphone 5 comes out. Who knows, maybe I'll even go crazy and camp out!

But I think I'll use my January upgrade and get my wife the i4...she hates me right now because she's still stuck with a Bold 9000 :(

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yaayy I'm a Llama again! (bonus points if you know the movie!)

But seriously, found someone on Craigslist to trade their white 3gs for my Blackberry Torch, so I'm officially back! Having this 3gs should enable me to hold off upgrading until summer when iphone 5 comes out. Who knows, maybe I'll even go crazy and camp out!

But I think I'll use my January upgrade and get my wife the i4...she hates me right now because she's still stuck with a Bold 9000 :(

One of my favorite disney movies...Emperor's New Groove... :D

Welcome back!

john_v

Apr 20, 2010
www.vinniesphotos.blogspot.com
One of my favorite disney movies...Emperor's New Groove... :D

Welcome back!

Thanks! and yep, one of our favorites as well! My 4 year has been watching it non stop, and today in the van the three of them started quoting lines, switching from character to character! It was pretty funny, but I made them get Kronk's New Groove at the library (which is not as funny, but funny in it's own right) for a change of pace!

IT's good to be back!

Mobcoa247

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My 2 cents on the iphone4 vs bb

So I love bb. I had a curve,then 9000,then 9800. Have the 3G and it's ok. The 3G was never used much but we tried out the iPhone and it was ok.

Got an iPad and love it. Use it all the time. Don't use the slider on the 9800 as it's a bit to small so since launch been using the touchscreen on it. It sucks IMO. Decided today to get iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 is amazing and by far greater than the 3G (not even close to the same machine) it's vastly superior to my blackberrys as much as it pains me to say that. I got email working on push fine using the exchange account option for gmail.

I can now take photos and high def videos of my pooch , listen to Howard stern on the xm app ..

The iPhone 4 is fast..real fast. My iPad is fast and iPhone is same processor 2x the ram and smaller. Run don't walk to make the switch..and to those worried about the keyboard I can thumb type way faster on iPhone 4 than any of my bb's and I know how to type. Trust it and 99.5 it's spot on. I got the otter box defender I got to plug that case as well it's sweet

U won't be sorry,this is common from a fence sitter that's kickin himself for strugglin with the 9800. Just remember skating is fun...till u get a car

Last edited:

porksoda

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone 4 is fast..real fast. My iPad is fast and iPhone is same processor 2x the ram and smaller. Run don't walk to make the switch..and to those worried about the keyboard I can thumb type way faster on iPhone 4 than any of my bb's and I know how to type. Trust it and 99.5 it's spot on.

I agree 100% what you said.. former 9700 user.

Just to add re: typing... not only can you not type faster on ip (and even easier in ladnscape mode) but your fingers and thumbs don't get sore as they do/did with bb push buttons.

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I had a 9550, 9630, 9530, 8330 and a 8130 lol and that was just in two years.. and even the 3GS trumps those devices IMO, but now with the 4, it's pretty hard to beat...

Mobcoa247

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Wow..I thought I had issues with changing phones often. I do miss the email on my bb but with all the other perks..oh and I miss traditional voice mail as I liked to forward emails for others to have to deal with. We would call that the hand off.. But aside from those small nuisances the got it about 99 percent right and I'm not an apple fanboy if anything I'm a bb fanboy and would love a bb that can do what iPhone 4 does. And the display..wow

Cleveland

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
BB never kept me satisfied, idk about now but it used to be that if you got more than 10 apps on BB is was the slowest thing known to man, i miss a few of the notifications and BBM but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple came out with some sort of their own chat system but the odds that actually happening are probably slim at best, not with FaceTime between just about every Apple device made or soon to be made lol

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I switched from a BlackBerry BOLD 9000, to a BlackBerry BOLD 9700, then to a 32GB iPhone 3GS. Two weeks after the iPhone 4 came out, I got mine, and well, I'm still here...

I've tried to go back to the BlackBerry (just because I was faithful to it for YEARS, and I manage BES at work), and each time it fails! I still have a BlackBerry BOLD 9700, and a BlackBerry Torch...

Every couple of days, I turn them on, and use BlackBerry Pin Messenger for a while. But, to be honest, that's all I do with it.

So, I guess I can officially say, I'm iPhone all the way.

The best thing I can say is, if you're switching from BlackBerry to iPhone, and you have a GMail\Google Apps account, it will really be a seamless transition; data wise...

Mobcoa247

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Naviculture?

So I love it but the issue that I'm having is setting up gmail through exchange I got push to work but the search function of email for iPhone would not work. I rely heavily om that function as we have over 16k messages residing om the server and I often need access to them ..so I reverted back to setting up Reg gmail account that is not push but let's me have access to all the emails on the server as that's more important. I also used to get copies of every reply on my bb which was nice cause me and my fianc? both had bb's that had same accounts on them so for our business when email came in if she replied or myself the other saw it and it avoided any redundancy and we always knew who was taking care of what customer. Any suggestions to any of these non traditional issues. Thanks for any help in advance

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...not too sure about the 'receiving copies of sent'. I know about this issue with having GMail on a BlackBerry, but for the iPhone, I'd suggest whoever replies, they 'BCC' the other person.

Also, as for Exchange, and searching; try Nuevasync. I wonder if that allows searching on the 'server side'.

There is a paid version and a free version...

So I love it but the issue that I'm having is setting up gmail through exchange I got push to work but the search function of email for iPhone would not work. I rely heavily om that function as we have over 16k messages residing om the server and I often need access to them ..so I reverted back to setting up Reg gmail account that is not push but let's me have access to all the emails on the server as that's more important. I also used to get copies of every reply on my bb which was nice cause me and my fianc? both had bb's that had same accounts on them so for our business when email came in if she replied or myself the other saw it and it avoided any redundancy and we always knew who was taking care of what customer. Any suggestions to any of these non traditional issues. Thanks for any help in advance

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Switched,about two weeks ago, from BB9000 to iPhone, and from a PC to a Mac. I've never been happier. Since i use Google, the syncing was sweet and smoothe. I don't really care about the indicator light, but i would like to use my ringtones for phone and individual contacts(e-mails & texts). Hopefully, Apple will address that issue in the next OS upgrade.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
...the option to use specific ringtones for certain contacts is already available.
Edit a contact, and scroll down, you'll see an option to change the tone. You can, within iTunes, get ringtones 'downloaded', too. There are a few threads on here, on how to do this.

Now, as for text\email notification sounds, only option at present for that would be to perform a jailbrake.

Switched,about two weeks ago, from BB9000 to iPhone, and from a PC to a Mac. I've never been happier. Since i use Google, the syncing was sweet and smoothe. I don't really care about the indicator light, but i would like to use my ringtones for phone and individual contacts(e-mails & texts). Hopefully, Apple will address that issue in the next OS upgrade.

Reactions: anon(631531)

anon(631531)

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
...the option to use specific ringtones for certain contacts is already available.
Edit a contact, and scroll down, you'll see an option to change the tone. You can, within iTunes, get ringtones 'downloaded', too. There are a few threads on here, on how to do this.

Now, as for text\email notification sounds, only option at present for that would be to perform a jailbrake.

I'm talking about ringtones that i've imported into the phone from my BB, not the ones that came on the iPhone to begin with.

icehead13

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I went BB 9700 to Evo. Then to Iphone 4 back to Evo. Then to BB 9650 back to Ip4. Looked at a Tourch the other day,but it just didn't feel right. Staying with Ip4.

trtmazda3

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
On September 24th, I made the switch from an AT&T BlackBerry Bold 9700 to an Apple iPhone 4. I haven't regretted it once. I loved my BlackBerry's amazing keyboard, and I had it memorize to where I could type without looking at the phone.

But, the BlackBerry's lack of app support and buggy interface (Wi-Fi didn't like to connect, etc.) did me in. And, my iPhone 4 does push email for both personal (Gmail) and school (Exchange) accounts just fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2