Pandora, Slingplayer Mobile Data useage per hour?

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
This all depends if the stream being broadcast is in Kilobytes or Kilobits - You'll have to find this out to be sure which number is correct:

If its Kilobytes

1024 Kilobytes in 1 MB
Stream is 32KBPS

1024 / 32 = 32 Seconds per Megabyte
Lets round that down to 2 MB per minute
2 x 60 = 120MB per Hour

=============

If its Kilobits

1024 Kilobytes in 1MB
Stream is 32KBPS
8 bits per 1 byte

Using the same math as above, and divide that number by 8 gives us 15.

15MB Per Hour

Last edited:

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Wiltron. Daughter was thinking of adding me to a family plan on her account in a couple of months when my plan runs out with another carrier. I was naturally thinking of the new iphone 4g after the introduction dust settles. However I stream net radio in the car and frequently use Slingplayer Mobile...so AT&T's announcement of ending unlimited data...doesn't seem like good news to me. So do we rush down now and end up with a 3gs to get the unlimited data...or will the 2gig a month with the 4g be fine down the line. At 120kbps you'd have 16,666 hours of data stream a month which only has 720 hours in a whole month. If that's accurate I'm ok. Who could ever use more than that? But does all media use the same amount of data stream...ie audio alone (Pandora) versus video/audio (Slingplayer Mobile). Is there anyway to determine that? Unfortunately I'm potentially in a situation to have to figure it out fast.

Last edited:

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
That's a hard one to answer bc 2gb seems like alot but if u are constantly streaming music, pandora, slingbox, etc... That will go fast and get VERY expensive for the overage. I use pandora, iheartradio, Dan Patrick show daily during my 8 hours at work and normal Internet usage and I average around 4-4.5gb monthly. And remember too that there are alot of Apps that use data constantly, which is why the iPhone required unlimited data in the first place, so take that into acct also. Hope that helped

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks rdiddy. Anyone other data users out there that could share how you use data streams and what it adds up to each month?

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
My $0.02 would be to get a 3g or 3Gs now from ebayvor craigslist and get the unlimited data for $30 that way u don't have to worry about overages and then when u upgrade to the new iPhone u can keep ur unlimited plan. The new data plans are for new customers, so those who already have it can keep it, even when u upgrade. Just my opinion.

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Great thought about picking up a used iphone now...and upgrading it later. Just heard on local tv news that 2gigs a month is good for 10,000 emails, uploading 50 pics to social networking site, or watching 200 minutes of video. Thus 2gigs doesn't sound good for me. I'm heading to an AT&T store to see if I could get an add on account now with low minutes...and start paying for it...before I pick up a used phone and activate it next week...or if I could even wait and get an iphone 4g and activate it then. Actually looked and my current plan is up in 6 weeks...so paying for a month and a half of unused service on low minutes would be a small sacrafice...to get locked into unlimited data. I post what I find out when I get back.

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
Could you get on your daughter's account now with a new 3GS, lock into the unlimited data and then within 30 days return the new 3GS citing you didn't realize a new iPhone was going to come out and you want to get that instead, all the while letting you get grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan?

I'm not sure if the iPhone or AT&T has the 30 day trial period on hardware, but if they do it makes sense in my head.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
AT&T has a 30 day return policy for all phones. Could get a 3Gs right now for $97 @ Walmart. Would be a cheap way to go and get the unlimited data also

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Got back from AT&T store. They said unlimited data available thru Sunday. Monday it's gone. They also said I could add a line on daughters account thru Sunday and get unlimited data with a temporary number without purchasing or activating a phone. Then when I want to buy one and activate it, I could get my number transferred to it. Sounds like a plan. I did check prices on used iphones 3gs on craigslist and they are all about $300 and up! So after Monday's announcement about the price and availability of the iphone 4g...(and perhaps lower price on 3gs too) I can figure out what to do. I also got an answer about the data rate for SlingMobile on the iphone from the sling forum. They said 113MB an hour...very similar to Wiltron's post. So it looks like on 2 gigs you could stream it for about 18 hours a month. Daughter's working 12+ hr. overnights @ hospital Thursday thru Saturday nights. Have to try to intercept her before Monday. Thanks for everyone's help...

Last edited:

Smlk

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Agreed with the Wally phone and the unlimited plan! You can sell the phone when/if you upgrade and you have the data locked in.

rdiddy_25

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Just call but I'm sure they are in stock. And yes, u can do it as an add-a-line. Since ur daughter is the acct holder, she will have to do it

Wiltron

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
To answer a question earlier on, Video/Audio streams use SIGNIFICANTLY more data - over 4x more.

Audio is a 1:4 ratio in a video stream with sound, since video is alot more data intensive to send.

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks rdiddy. Got Wal-Marts around. I'll check their stock. Daughter says she's up for it Sunday. Now it's...how do I get 10 years of Palm OS pim over to the new tool? From the little I've read, it could be challenging... Appreciate all your help too Wiltron. Great folks on this forum!

Last edited:

peanutgallery

Apr 4, 2010
www.thepeanutgallery.net
Your daughter could add you as an authorized user and then you won't even need her. I think she might be able to do that with a quick phone call.

A iPhone to play with over the weekend would be better than a new iPhone to play with on Sunday. :)

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Checked out all the area Wal-Marts today and the $97 iphone 3gs' are long gone. Not even one on display. No date for their return. So I guess Sunday will be my day!

nite732

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Trust me I use sling box and pandora alot and you will be well over your 2g a month. I know this for sure.

Bill77

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to Sunday...and getting the last of the unlimited data. Lots of time next week to figure out how to transfer all my pim to it...and search for apps. Can't wait!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77