What do you think of the iPhone OS 4.0 software?

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Thanks! I will hold onto my 3G for now and wait until this summer. I'm still very green to the iPhone so I appreciate the help.

I misread your situation. Did you just buy the 3G? If so, I'd return it and wait til the new iPhone comes out, otherwise, you will not qualify for subsidized prices to upgrade.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Awesome. I particularly like "folders," but multi-tasking is also nice. Most of the things that were on the list were announced. (Now people are whining because it did not look the way they had visualized. Tsk tsk.) I can hardly wait to see what the developers do with this.

This year Christmas comes seven times. January iPad announce, iPad unboxing day, 4.0 announce, May when I get my iPad, July when we get 4.0 and the announcement of the new iPhone, Fall when we get 4.0 on the iPad, and December when Santa comes. Oh, I forgot the new iPhone delivery. There is always something to anticipate.

It is a great time to be a "kid."

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Buy Apple, sell AT&T.

The subtext of this announcement is all about the improvement to Apple's business plan.

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Wow.. I am running it now and let me tell you. It is really an improvement. Keep in mind it is beta and more is to come, but what I have seen so far is superb. Especially the ability to change the wallpaper... wooo.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
On a scale of 1-10, this update is a 7. Here is my list of things I am disappointed that weren't addressed:

Notifications - This has to change. I don't like how when a notification pops up, it controls your screen. You can't do anything until you acknowledge it. WebOS has it pretty close to what I find ideal. Android is a little too cluttered.

Calender - Is it really that hard to allow a snooze function in reminders? You can snooze the alarm clock, so why not the calender? The framework obviously is there.

SMS - While I saw an in app sms update, a universal quick reply would be much appreciated.

File system - An iPod has a rudimentary one, so why not the iPhone?

Lock screen - A waste of space if you ask me. How many emails do I have? Messages? Calender events?

BTW, the new calculator icon is horrible.

Other than what was listed above, this is a quality update and I am excited to update my phone when the time comes.

lonbeehold

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure how people can stand using the original or 3G device. Too slow.

I agree. My husband has my old 3G and it's lack of speed dives me crazy everytime I use it for something. He couldn't care less about mutitasking (yes, he's crazy) but he'll get it when I get the new iPhone and give him my current 3GS ;)

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I agree. My husband has my old 3G and it's lack of speed dives me crazy everytime I use it for something. He couldn't care less about mutitasking (yes, he's crazy) but he'll get it when I get the new iPhone and give him my current 3GS ;)

you must have one really nice husband

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Things I Am Liking about OS 4.0

Well I have been playing around with OS 4.0 for a while and there is a list I have come up with of things I like.

Things I Have Used and Liked

- More customization. Sure, it is only the wallpaper, but it really makes a difference

- Stacks / Folder. Whatever you want to call them, They have reduced my iPhone to 2 screens, and that is awesome

- Snappiness. On my 3GS everything seems to be a lot snappier.

- Refreshing animations. New animations are added when switching apps and what not.

- New dock.. Nuff said.. it's sweet

- Calculator Icon... it looks cool now

- Unified mailbox... it works as it should.

Things That Haven't Been Tested Yet

- Multitasking. There aren't any third party apps that have the API's in yet, therefore I have not been able to test this with my favourite apps like Slacker, Plants Vs Zombies etc

- Game Centre. I just do not see any games using it yet.

If any of you have been using 4.0 as well please feel free to add to the list.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
It might be boring but I think I am most happy about the folders. Now istead of dedicating one "screen" to a category of apps I can make folders. This will be sweet.

What's the new dock look like? Are there screen shots of this stuff yet in the wild or are those not allowed because of the NDA? (Edit - Just found some over at ilounge, looks slick; [drooling...])

Last edited:

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I like it all but I really wanted a better notification system. If they just take the one from Android then so beat it. Kind of lame every time I get one and then another before I can check and the first is then gone forever.

Also, I like the calculator icon and the look of the dock from the iPad (guess that's in OS X too).

BuddhistGirafe

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
If anyone is interested here are some screenshots of my 4.0 setup

IMG_0001.png

IMG_0002-1.png

BuddhistGirafe

BuddhistGirafe

BuddhistGirafe

Screenshot2010-04-08at63750PM.png

bikefreax

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Multi Tasking is Great, but my jail broken 3gs does that already....

Unified Inbox will be very helpful, i am glad about that, but i dont think i'll kill my jailbreak for that. Where is the lock screen modifications?? I dont think i could use my iPhone without lock info...

How did you get multi tasking with the jailbreak? I am jailbroke and want that. I also want folders to be able to group my apps together. Any idea? Please help me.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2