Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell Yea i am

67 56.78%
  • Naw, i'm gonna stick with my current iPhone

18 15.25%
  • haven't decided yet

33 27.97%
    Ahh. Must have missed the part where he said it was a simple warranty replacement. My bad!
    04-01-2010 10:55 AM
    Us in Canada have to wait another another year until the 5th iPhone is out anyway. Unless we pay $699. The US carrier contracts are as long as our upgrades.
    04-01-2010 01:38 PM

A) Costs are stupidly high when something is just released - a few months in and it drops

E) I HATE waiting lists. I read things on people having to wait for 4-5 weeks to get an iPhone 3gs when it first came out, and honestly, I don't care to be on the edge of my seat for that long lol.
    When did the prices of a 3GS drop the first few months in? They are still 199/299 and that won't change until the next model is released. 199/299 for a phone like the iPhone is not "stupidly high", nor will they drop until another model is released, like every year.

Also, I don't know of anyone who waited a month to get a 3GS. If a store was out (even an AT&T store) you typically waited days, not weeks. I had friends who didn't line up, put their name in at an AT&T store and got a call to come get their phone in 2-3 days. And I'm in the Chicago area, not exactly a small area.
    04-03-2010 12:42 AM
    Of course it will - unless you're planning on paying the full, unsubsidized price for it.
    He was referring to the fact that he has hairline cracks in his phone and getting it swapped, not getting a "new" phone.

In that case it would, but just getting it swapped at Apple won't. To the person asking the question, you can't swap it at AT&T, apple only, so you'll have to make an appt at an Apple store or call Apple and do a mail-in repair/replacement.
    04-03-2010 12:45 AM
    I definitely will be.. and on a downside will probably have to pay almost no contract price for it.
    04-04-2010 07:39 PM
    I have the 3GS already but even that is getting pretty stale. I'm lucky enough though that my family has multiple lines and one line is always eligible for the new iPhone. I'm even luckier that I'm the one who gets to keep the phone.

I just want to see the new iPhone because I'm just praying that 4.0 will be a massive leap from the current OS and even androids offerings. If not, I may have to jump ship to android...
    04-04-2010 10:20 PM
    I'm on a family plan with my friend and I did the math so yes we are getting new ones. The difference in getting an 2 iPhones with 1 extra year of Apple Care compared to just buying a new ones / selling old ones the next year is only like $65 more per phone. Yes this all changes if the value of a 1-year old 32GB 3GS out of contract goes down, but I think getting at least $200 a phone is reasonable. I'm also assuming that you would only get $100 a phone for a 2-year old version.

2 New phones every year:
    New Phone 1: $299 (first phone eligible after 12 months)
    New Phone 2: $499 (second phone only that "halfway" eligible for upgrade)
    $798 - $400 (sell 2 1-year old) = $398 / year

2 New phones every 2 years, with extended Apple Care:
    New Phone 1: $299
    New Phone 2: $299
    $598 + $138 (apple care) - $200 (sell 2 2-year old) = $536 / 2 = $268 / year
    Wait I'm confused. Are you saying you only expect to get 100-200 per iPhone when you sell your old ones. Do NOT sell them that cheap my friend.

Which one do you have?

Last year when myself and my gf upgraded to the 32GB models of the 3GS, a week before launch we sold our 16GB iPhone 3G models. I got 450$ PER phone off Craigslist. So I got 900$ for the two phones. Then my line was eligible and her's wasn't so 299 + 499 = around 800. I MADE 100$ to upgrade.

We have done that every year and actually ended up pocketing money.

We both have the 32GB models, those are currently going for around 600$ a piece still.
    04-06-2010 11:42 AM
    Steve saids the next iPhone will be an "A+ Upgrade", you basically look up "iPhone 4" in here [TiPb] and you wil find 3 pages of articles about the next iphone

and its obvious that they always do this every June-July
    iPhone - June 2007
    iPhone 3G - July 2008
    iPhone 3GS - July 2009

and this years model so....
    3GS came out in June 2009

I think the dates were June 29, 2007 - July 11, 2008 - June 19, 2009

I think the 3G was the 11th. Not exactly sure on that one.
    04-06-2010 11:47 AM
    Honey I never contradict myself
    but the next 4g better have a damn multitasking
    uh
    if you're going back to sprint why would it even matter?
    04-06-2010 11:49 AM
    ill get the 4th gen when i can switch to verizon...bye bye at&t! :P
    Pretty sure you'll be waiting a while on that one.
    04-06-2010 11:50 AM
    I don't know about getting the new one, but I definitely want to get at least a 16GB model. I will wait and see what new features they put out. I really wouldn't want one until they make an Otterbox Defender case for it if they change the design.
    04-06-2010 04:12 PM
    looks like 4.0 software will be out about the same time as the iphone 4.0 and i'm only a year into my contract so i'll probably wait.
    04-07-2010 01:07 AM
    Pretty sure you'll be waiting a while on that one.
    yea i know ill be waiting so im in no rush to get the new phone either
    04-07-2010 11:09 AM
    i want to get it though but i guess ill wait
    04-07-2010 11:55 AM
    i most likely will. i like having whats up to date. at the same time i think ill have to wait a bit to either save up the moeny or until i have an upgrade!
    04-07-2010 12:35 PM
    I need a new one I have had my 3G for two years now , I cant believe how fast time has flown by .
    04-07-2010 01:08 PM
    Wait I'm confused. Are you saying you only expect to get 100-200 per iPhone when you sell your old ones. Do NOT sell them that cheap my friend.

Which one do you have?

Last year when myself and my gf upgraded to the 32GB models of the 3GS, a week before launch we sold our 16GB iPhone 3G models. I got 450$ PER phone off Craigslist. So I got 900$ for the two phones. Then my line was eligible and her's wasn't so 299 + 499 = around 800. I MADE 100$ to upgrade.

We have done that every year and actually ended up pocketing money.

We both have the 32GB models, those are currently going for around 600$ a piece still.
    A lot may depend on the area. I listed mine on Ebay, and only got about $250 or so (I don't recall what, exactly). I listed them on Craigslist first, and got nary a nibble.

I will be selling mine (32GB 3GS) and my wifes (8GB 3G) to get two new ones. I am hoping to get about $300 to $400 total for them.

Of course, I will be selling AFTER the launch, most likely, so that drops the price.

Chris
    04-07-2010 01:19 PM
    I have a upgrade available May 30th so as long as the screen resolution is improved, I'm in. Tired of this crappy resolution it currently has
    04-07-2010 02:20 PM
    A lot may depend on the area. I listed mine on Ebay, and only got about $250 or so (I don't recall what, exactly). I listed them on Craigslist first, and got nary a nibble.

I will be selling mine (32GB 3GS) and my wifes (8GB 3G) to get two new ones. I am hoping to get about $300 to $400 total for them.

Of course, I will be selling AFTER the launch, most likely, so that drops the price.

Chris
    Wow, I'd go Ebay then. Or Crackberry, or another BST. That's way too low for a 32GB. You should be getting at least 500$ just for the 32GB one alone.

I'm in the Chicago market, so I can see your point, but the online market will make you more either way. My friend sold his 3G after launch last year (didn't pick up his 3GS til about October), and he still got 300 or so for an 8GB.
    04-07-2010 02:22 PM
    Wow, I'd go Ebay then. Or Crackberry, or another BST. That's way too low for a 32GB. You should be getting at least 500$ just for the 32GB one alone.

I'm in the Chicago market, so I can see your point, but the online market will make you more either way. My friend sold his 3G after launch last year (didn't pick up his 3GS til about October), and he still got 300 or so for an 8GB.
    Hey, if you want to sell it for me when the time is right, I will gladly give you 25% of the money over $400 or something.

Chris
    04-07-2010 06:31 PM
    Hey, if you want to sell it for me when the time is right, I will gladly give you 25% of the money over $400 or something.

Chris
    haha! i'd feel bad taking your profits, haha - either way - if you are having trouble offing it around there, shoot me an e-mail, if i can find a buyer in this area and want to do it that way, i'd be ok helping you out.

people around chicago are crazy. even a moto backflip goes for 300 or so on CL. ridiculous.
    Last edited by Allyson Kazmucha; 04-08-2010 at 11:20 AM.
    04-08-2010 11:18 AM
    Hell Yea i am
    04-12-2010 09:27 AM
    Ok cool thanks I'll give it a try. Will getting a new phone restart my upgrade eligibility?
    As long as you're within the one year warranty (which you are on a 3GS) it will not push you back for upgrade eligibility. I am on my 3d 3GS-I've had the fine grey cracks on all of my iPhones (returned a 3G for this problem, too) and they do annoy me-everytime I've brought the phones into the Apple store they swapped them without a problem.
    04-12-2010 07:31 PM
    Honestly, I know the hardware is going to be significant enough to make me want to upgrade, not to mention the better camera, but it will really depend on the design of the new iPhone. I have confidence it will be as sleek and sexy as the 3G and 3GS but only time will tell for sure.

If it is as nice on the eyes as previous models, I will be in the line bright and early to get my hands on one
    04-12-2010 09:32 PM
    Honestly, I know the hardware is going to be significant enough to make me want to upgrade, not to mention the better camera, but it will really depend on the design of the new iPhone. I have confidence it will be as sleek and sexy as the 3G and 3GS but only time will tell for sure.

If it is as nice on the eyes as previous models, I will be in the line bright and early to get my hands on one
    I have a feeling it'll look about the same. If looks are what you're after.

I'd upgrade for an updated screen, memory, processor, and the camera.
    04-12-2010 09:52 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD