I disagree. Upgrades are never that dramatic from previous version.

IMO, the processor/ram stays roughly the same (as iphone 3gs) performance wise while they try to tweak better battery life.

OLED screen. Higher resolution. Better camera/hd recording. Storage bump. These alone will have apple fanboys foaming at the mouth.

Tweak to form factor because it needs to look different this time.

Main theme of 4.0 will be multitasking & notifications for this and iphone 3gs. The first couple of iphones (original and 3G) will probably be too slow to handle it. Apple has to be careful here as to not make this too complex for the average iphone user.

Still think too soon for LTE/4G version, but never know.
    Last edited by cardfan; 08-05-2009 at 09:29 AM.
    08-05-2009 09:24 AM
    Apps resizing on a higher res screen is no problem. Our computers do it everyday for gaming and playing movies.

I really think apple will change the look a little because so many people hate that their 3GS likes identical to the 3G.

ARM 1GHZ processor with dual cores on 45nm chip size consuming less power and blowing away the current 3GS processor. 384-512MB System RAM for true multitasking.

New independent graphics processor with more processing power.

3.8" OLED Screen consuming less power than LCD and putting out more rich/vivid colors. Likely 740x480 or WVGA 800x480 resolution.

More battery life.

Better built-in speaker phone.

OS 4.0 more similar to MAC OSX in looks taking advantage of the better hardware. Also backwards compatible with 2G/3G/3GS and has two different texture packs to accommodate the different resolution screens and processing power. Similar to how Vista has "AERO" version for faster computers with better graphics and a plain version for less equipped ones.

32GB and 64GB Storage options. White and Black styles again.
    I think this is more what we might be seeing with ichat and improvements to the notifications system since jobs got back.
    08-05-2009 05:17 PM
    ive seen that rogers (canada carrier) is suppose to be introducing an 8 gb iphone 3gs
    08-05-2009 05:43 PM
    I disagree. Upgrades are never that dramatic from previous version.

IMO, the processor/ram stays roughly the same (as iphone 3gs) performance wise while they try to tweak better battery life.

OLED screen. Higher resolution. Better camera/hd recording. Storage bump. These alone will have apple fanboys foaming at the mouth.

Tweak to form factor because it needs to look different this time.

Main theme of 4.0 will be multitasking & notifications for this and iphone 3gs. The first couple of iphones (original and 3G) will probably be too slow to handle it. Apple has to be careful here as to not make this too complex for the average iphone user.

Still think too soon for LTE/4G version, but never know.
    There are new processors coming out clocking at 1Ghz from Samsung which is Apple's supplier for iPhone processors that actually consumes LESS battery, so they don't need to stop making it faster to save the battery.

Apple has been stubborn on OLED, I highly doubt it will happen. Got that blu-ray in your iMac yet?

It's definitely going to look different this time but I don't see a change in the form factor. I see it still being a slab but this time it will be a different texture. I can see apple making a plastic that is identical to aluminum in look and feel but is fully plastic so that the radios don't have trouble getting through it.

The point you brought up about OS 4.0 is very interesting! If they made it advanced enough, they could do a "Boom!" and announce it for both the iPhone as a revolutionary mobile OS, and for the iTablet (TBA) as a desktop OS if it's really similar enough to Snow Leopard. (Steve: "a mobile OS, a desktop OS, and an iPod OS... repeat x3.. are you getting it? It's all one OS!") I believe Snow Leopard has an altered Kernel and the current iPhone OS is based on OS X Leopard's Kernel soo.. An updated kernel for iPhone OS 4.0 is to be expected as well.

As for 4G/LTE.. They could implement the radios secretly so that when 4G networks are up it can take advantage of them. Knowing apple they wouldn't tell anyone (like they did for iPod touch 2nd gen with Bluetooth chips) until the next year and then everyone would **** start crapping apples with excitement.
    08-05-2009 07:58 PM

As for 4G/LTE.. They could implement the radios secretly so that when 4G networks are up it can take advantage of them. Knowing apple they wouldn't tell anyone (like they did for iPod touch 2nd gen with Bluetooth chips) until the next year and then everyone would **** start crapping apples with excitement.
    I think that 4G is the trigger for the next iPhone. That is two years away on AT&T (they still have not provisioned 3G in San Francisco) but only months on Verizon.
    08-05-2009 09:54 PM
    I believe so... they come out with a new one every summer... but i think it will be a slight update.. nothign special.
    08-06-2009 11:17 PM
    But THIS year was a silght update. I'm hoping for an overhaul!
    08-07-2009 09:29 AM
    Maybe they'll finally have that prostate exam app with integrated iFingers that many have been waiting for?
    08-07-2009 12:45 PM
    To remain competitive they will have to overhaul the iPhone. Look at the competition. Better cameras, faster processors, higher resolution. The next iPhone better have at least a 800 MHz or faster processor to stay toward the top of the pack
    08-07-2009 02:44 PM
    Well all that stuff isn't enough. The form factor has to change imo. And the OS has to change as well.
    08-08-2009 12:00 PM
    Well all that stuff isn't enough. The form factor has to change imo. And the OS has to change as well.
    Be careful what you ask for; you might get it. Some Palm owners thought they wanted that and got Windows Mobile.
    08-09-2009 11:17 AM
    Feel like it has to happen.. And I don't believe Apple can really screw it up.
    08-09-2009 11:55 PM
    I hope there's a new one. That would be cool.

08-12-2009 02:22 PM
    The main hardware change I want to see implemented in the new iPhone is a front-facing camera. What I want even more than though is an entire OS overhaul. IMO, the iPhone OS is starting to look and feel extremely dated when compared to the other phones coming out. I'm hoping they move away from the pages filled with apps and give us a user friendly desktop-like experience on the new phone. Without some real changes, WebOS and Android will easily trump the iPhone OS next year.
    08-12-2009 08:26 PM
    Yeah. Since there is new talks about Verizon and all these changes , I'm sure they will have a new design.
    08-12-2009 08:40 PM
    The main hardware change I want to see implemented in the new iPhone is a front-facing camera. What I want even more than though is an entire OS overhaul. IMO, the iPhone OS is starting to look and feel extremely dated when compared to the other phones coming out. I'm hoping they move away from the pages filled with apps and give us a user friendly desktop-like experience on the new phone. Without some real changes, WebOS and Android will easily trump the iPhone OS next year.

You really think Android and WebOS make the iPhone OS dated? I actually think quite the opposite. After using all the aforementioned phones OS, I think they are all playing catch up to the iPhone's OS.
    08-12-2009 08:40 PM
    Not yet they don't, but that's why I said next year they will if Apple doesn't make some changes. I found WebOS to be nothing but a pleasure to use and Android is quite decent as well. They are also taking steps to advance the game by adding Flash. Something we may never see on the iPhone. I'm not saying the current OS is broken in any way, it's just starting to feel like it's past its prime. Noah from Phonedog pretty much nails what I'm trying to say in his latest Dogfight
    Last edited by PikkonX; 08-12-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    08-12-2009 08:55 PM
    I would love to think so, since I'm moving back to the US in 2010.
    08-13-2009 09:18 AM
    Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

The OS is OS X, hardly dated. Perhaps you are talking about the UI. I admit that mine is starting to look a little cluttered and sorting of the icons is not easy. I am not sure what you mean by "desktop-like" but if you mean "WM-like," saints preserve us. I like the use of purpose-built apps (65000 and counting) that hide the operating system from me.

Perhaps you mean changes to the API. I do not follow the developers forums and am not aware of the issues here. In any case, if I cannot see them, I do not much care about them.

Perhaps you are talking about multi-tasking. It seems to me that this is much more of a battery issue than an OS issue. The OS clearly has multi-tasking capability already. The issue is that apps in the background suck the life out of the battery. We have seen this with the so-called "push" applications. Battery technology is a major constraint and seems to advance more slowly than the demands put upon it by screens, radios, and processors.

While I appreciate the prod, any assertion that WebOS or Android will "trump" the iPhone OS is, at best, speculative. It is certainly a very high hurdle.
    08-13-2009 10:18 AM
    You really think Android and WebOS make the iPhone OS dated? I actually think quite the opposite. After using all the aforementioned phones OS, I think they are all playing catch up to the iPhone's OS.
    They are clearly losing the application battle. The app store has added 15000 applications since the Pre was announced while they are still in the high tens total. While they are moving ahead, they are doing it so slowly that they are falling ever farther behind.
    08-13-2009 12:10 PM
    Definitely not asking for anything close to WM. I mean optimizations to the core OS and certainly some brand new UI options (nothing forced). I don't even think the hurdle is that high, because there's not too much that the iPhone OS itself does that can't be accomplished on the others. Of course these are just my opinions, not things that Apple absolutely has to do to please the already happy and growing iPhone crowd. It's just that after experiencing the other options over the past few weeks, I can more easily see myself taking the iPod Touch & WebOS/Android device route in the future, rather than just an iPhone. That way I get the user experience I'm looking for, as well as the 65,000+ apps. I'll just need to sew an additional pocket onto my pants .
    Last edited by PikkonX; 08-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.
    08-13-2009 12:46 PM
    .......... I mean optimizations to the core OS .......
    Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean by this.

"One iPod Touch per child."
    08-13-2009 05:34 PM
    What more is there really to be said when referring to optimization? I'm not talking about massive kernel work, just improvements to the things controlled by Apple. There is always room for coding improvement. For example, the soft keyboard is not always as responsive as it should be, even on an unjailbroken phone using the built-in applications. Often, I'll find that I type a few words and then I have to wait a couple seconds for the keyboard to catch up with my input. Then there are also the Safari, Mail, and iPod crashes I've experienced. Just little things like that are what I'm referring to.
    Last edited by PikkonX; 08-13-2009 at 07:20 PM.
    08-13-2009 07:15 PM
    I think the real question is... will they have multiple models of the iphone in 2010 compared to one model with different colors and GB's.
    08-13-2009 07:30 PM
    I think Apple is gonna make us **** ourselves next June. And even though I want it SOOOOOO BADLY... I don't think they are going to give me an HD video-recording, front-facing camera next year.. If they don't come out with something more impressive I can see myself switching to another phone.. That LG BL40 is nice.. I'd just use my iPhone for apps and use the other as a phone :P
    08-14-2009 09:26 AM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD