Is there gonna be a brand new iPhone in 2010?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
@cjvtek
that would be incredibly difficult to design with apple's aesthetic, and the parts necessary would be MUCH more expensive than just having 2 cameras. CMOS censors are incredibly cheap.

All you need is a 3mp sensor jn front capable of 720p (for YouTube blogging) and a 5mp in back capable of 1080p. That's my dream iPhone!

No more black bars on iPhone videos on YouTube.. That would make me so happy!!

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
there probably will be a new phone in 2010. not sure what to expect, though. I sure would love it if they could find a way to go back to the aluminium casing. I know, I know, it's bad for reception but man it sure felt a lot better in my hand than the plastic does.

anon(1605018)

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
There will probably be a new phone every year for the forseable future. I expect something with a better processor, more ram, and better battery life. I could also see them improving on the camera, if they went to try to take on the camera markets I could see them improving the camera to maby an 4 megapixel and hopefully adding on a flash, ability to zoom. If they can improve the battery enough I could see multi-tasking coming to the iphone, but who knows how long that would take. The gps (just the ability to pinpoint you) could also use an improvement, but who knows if they will attempt to improve on this. Knowing apple there will also probally be one feature that will be added that we didn't expect. Also flash webbrowsing will eventually come to the iphone either through a new os or new phone. (I have a feeling that it will by 2 years from now.)

Last edited:

UTVOL06

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
> Resolution may increase but the aspect ratio will stay the same allowing older apps to still work.

With enough processing power, this no longer matters.

Its seriously time for a makeover in the OS as well as the device. With all the advancement in graphics processors Apple can start taking advantage of the improvements seen in things like KDE, Compiz, etc, and get away from the concept of "Pages".

Resizing an app to fit in such an environment isn't something the programmer even has to think about.

Apps resizing on a higher res screen is no problem. Our computers do it everyday for gaming and playing movies.

I really think apple will change the look a little because so many people hate that their 3GS likes identical to the 3G.

ARM 1GHZ processor with dual cores on 45nm chip size consuming less power and blowing away the current 3GS processor. 384-512MB System RAM for true multitasking.

New independent graphics processor with more processing power.

3.8" OLED Screen consuming less power than LCD and putting out more rich/vivid colors. Likely 740x480 or WVGA 800x480 resolution.

More battery life.

Better built-in speaker phone.

OS 4.0 more similar to MAC OSX in looks taking advantage of the better hardware. Also backwards compatible with 2G/3G/3GS and has two different texture packs to accommodate the different resolution screens and processing power. Similar to how Vista has "AERO" version for faster computers with better graphics and a plain version for less equipped ones.

32GB and 64GB Storage options. White and Black styles again.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I disagree. Upgrades are never that dramatic from previous version.

IMO, the processor/ram stays roughly the same (as iphone 3gs) performance wise while they try to tweak better battery life.

OLED screen. Higher resolution. Better camera/hd recording. Storage bump. These alone will have apple fanboys foaming at the mouth.

Tweak to form factor because it needs to look different this time.

Main theme of 4.0 will be multitasking & notifications for this and iphone 3gs. The first couple of iphones (original and 3G) will probably be too slow to handle it. Apple has to be careful here as to not make this too complex for the average iphone user.

Still think too soon for LTE/4G version, but never know.

Last edited:

joshy

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Apps resizing on a higher res screen is no problem. Our computers do it everyday for gaming and playing movies.

I really think apple will change the look a little because so many people hate that their 3GS likes identical to the 3G.

ARM 1GHZ processor with dual cores on 45nm chip size consuming less power and blowing away the current 3GS processor. 384-512MB System RAM for true multitasking.

New independent graphics processor with more processing power.

3.8" OLED Screen consuming less power than LCD and putting out more rich/vivid colors. Likely 740x480 or WVGA 800x480 resolution.

More battery life.

Better built-in speaker phone.

OS 4.0 more similar to MAC OSX in looks taking advantage of the better hardware. Also backwards compatible with 2G/3G/3GS and has two different texture packs to accommodate the different resolution screens and processing power. Similar to how Vista has "AERO" version for faster computers with better graphics and a plain version for less equipped ones.

32GB and 64GB Storage options. White and Black styles again.

I think this is more what we might be seeing with ichat and improvements to the notifications system since jobs got back.

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I disagree. Upgrades are never that dramatic from previous version.

IMO, the processor/ram stays roughly the same (as iphone 3gs) performance wise while they try to tweak better battery life.

OLED screen. Higher resolution. Better camera/hd recording. Storage bump. These alone will have apple fanboys foaming at the mouth.

Tweak to form factor because it needs to look different this time.

Main theme of 4.0 will be multitasking & notifications for this and iphone 3gs. The first couple of iphones (original and 3G) will probably be too slow to handle it. Apple has to be careful here as to not make this too complex for the average iphone user.

Still think too soon for LTE/4G version, but never know.

There are new processors coming out clocking at 1Ghz from Samsung which is Apple's supplier for iPhone processors that actually consumes LESS battery, so they don't need to stop making it faster to save the battery.

Apple has been stubborn on OLED, I highly doubt it will happen. Got that blu-ray in your iMac yet?

It's definitely going to look different this time but I don't see a change in the form factor. I see it still being a slab but this time it will be a different texture. I can see apple making a plastic that is identical to aluminum in look and feel but is fully plastic so that the radios don't have trouble getting through it.

The point you brought up about OS 4.0 is very interesting! If they made it advanced enough, they could do a "Boom!" and announce it for both the iPhone as a revolutionary mobile OS, and for the iTablet (TBA) as a desktop OS if it's really similar enough to Snow Leopard. (Steve: "a mobile OS, a desktop OS, and an iPod OS... repeat x3.. are you getting it? It's all one OS!") I believe Snow Leopard has an altered Kernel and the current iPhone OS is based on OS X Leopard's Kernel soo.. An updated kernel for iPhone OS 4.0 is to be expected as well.

As for 4G/LTE.. They could implement the radios secretly so that when 4G networks are up it can take advantage of them. Knowing apple they wouldn't tell anyone (like they did for iPod touch 2nd gen with Bluetooth chips) until the next year and then everyone would **** start crapping apples with excitement.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
As for 4G/LTE.. They could implement the radios secretly so that when 4G networks are up it can take advantage of them. Knowing apple they wouldn't tell anyone (like they did for iPod touch 2nd gen with Bluetooth chips) until the next year and then everyone would **** start crapping apples with excitement.
I think that 4G is the trigger for the next iPhone. That is two years away on AT&T (they still have not provisioned 3G in San Francisco) but only months on Verizon.

ben_jamin

Aug 7, 2009
Visit site
To remain competitive they will have to overhaul the iPhone. Look at the competition. Better cameras, faster processors, higher resolution. The next iPhone better have at least a 800 MHz or faster processor to stay toward the top of the pack

Watcher

May 29, 2009
Visit site
I hope there's a new one. That would be cool.

TheTypicaliPhoneUsercleanedup.jpg

PikkonX

Jun 6, 2009
Visit site
The main hardware change I want to see implemented in the new iPhone is a front-facing camera. What I want even more than though is an entire OS overhaul. IMO, the iPhone OS is starting to look and feel extremely dated when compared to the other phones coming out. I'm hoping they move away from the pages filled with apps and give us a user friendly desktop-like experience on the new phone. Without some real changes, WebOS and Android will easily trump the iPhone OS next year.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73