How long does the OS upgrade process take?

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone-

I've only owned my iPhone for about 2 months. Prior to that I had a BlackBerry, and updating the BlackBerry OS could take as long as 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the amount of 3rd party software that had to be backed up.

I was wondering if anyone has experience updating the iPhone OS, and how long the process takes.

I'm just trying to figure out how much time I'm going to need to set aside to do the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hi everyone-

I've only owned my iPhone for about 2 months. Prior to that I had a BlackBerry, and updating the BlackBerry OS could take as long as 1.5 to 2 hours, depending on the amount of 3rd party software that had to be backed up.

I was wondering if anyone has experience updating the iPhone OS, and how long the process takes.

I'm just trying to figure out how much time I'm going to need to set aside to do the upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to remember...I think it took about 20 minutes for 2.2.1. I think it'll take longer for 3.0 though,because it's a bigger update.

just_danny

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I seem to remember 2.0 being a pretty big download - over 200MB? Assuming 3.0 might top that. Would depend on mow much music you need to copy back on, also.

DDAY

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
The most important thing you should do is make sure, from your desktop & iPhone, that all of your apps are updated. If you don't know how to do that, just go to your Application tab and look in the upper right corner. Sync your iPhone. Then, when installing the OS, the backup and install will take less than 30 min to download and install (depending on connection). At least that's how 2.0 was.

Muero

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Interestingly, 3.0 is about 17MB smaller than 2.2.1. I think it took about 10 minutes to install once downloaded.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
3.0 took less than 15 minutes for me. Heck, I don't even think it took more than 10 minutes. If you restore and then update, it will take longer. Updating only is quicker.

Behshad

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
the 3.0 update has taken more than 10 hours for all of those who have been trying to update since midnite LOL

But seriously I dont think more than 30 mins...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77