Is Apple Holding Back on OS 3.0...

Jeffdc5#IM

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
I think they are holding back what company lays all their cards on the table. Come june some crazy new feature will come out. The iphone is weird in that i will get bored and hate it for a week and it brings me back the next week. I think apple will drop something new that will make it just so much better to use.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping one of those things they're going to surprise us on is vastly improved battery life. IMO, the iPhone has one true weakness: less than great battery life. This'll be especially critical when many of us start using the high-powered battery-sucking GPS apps that will be coming with 3.0.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping one of those things they're going to surprise us on is vastly improved battery life. IMO, the iPhone has one true weakness: less than great battery life. This'll be especially critical when many of us start using the high-powered battery-sucking GPS apps that will be coming with 3.0.

I think this'll be what comes with a new announced iPhone

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
I'm torn on whether or not 3.0 will have anymore "amazing" changes.

Apple seems to be pretty uniform. I don't see them revamping the UI a ton, but look at Leopard and past OS versions on Mac, they haven't really changed completely. Just tweaked.

We may see other apps or fixes, but I'm hesitant on saying there will be a huge UI overhaul.

Personally, I'm pretty happy w/ 3.0, it added pretty much every little thing on my want list =)

Argelius1

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
iPhone 3.0: will there be any surprises (other than what's already been revealed)?

Just a random question, should anyone wish to speculate.

Now that Apple made it's official iPhone 3.0 announcement, and we are now up to the Beta-5 release of the new software, are there likely to be any cool new surprises when then software is officially released for public consumption?

I'm just curious if we've basically seen all the new features, or if Apple will (if it can) toss anything new into the mix at the last minute. (Couple of things come to mind -- a week view in Calendar, and SMS templates (so you can easily compose frequently sent messages).

Thanks for your informed, if rampant, speculation!

Argelius1

Feb 5, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the SMS templates, it would seem that Apple has locked down the SMS app from allowing these at all (since neither jailbreak or regular apps have figured out how to do this; on the other hand, there are multiple apps that have templates for email messages, which I find of little use...)

icebike

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I tend to agree with YoungKevin, there will be some absolutely maddening gotcha limitation that are there to protect Apple's bottom line (in the itunes store) rather than due to some technical limits.

I suspect there will be some cool features that no-one has bothered to leak because they are so MINOR.

It seems the NDA is being honored mostly in the breach, so if there were any thing major in addition the leaks we have already seen I'd be surprised.

I'm becoming convinced that the iPhone OS development team must be fairly small, because the pace of fixes and new features seems really slow. Two years for cut and paste? Two device releases before MMS is finally dragged out of them?

Or is it that Saint Steve had leave the lab before these features could be delivered? Did the team have to wait until Jobs was recuperates by the pool before they could over-ride his pet peeves?

sil3ntrid3r11

Feb 20, 2009
www.youtube.com
I think we are still waiting to see Google "latitude" implemented on the iphone. They said it was coming but i don't think it has dropped in any of the the betas yet, so that is something to look forward to! I am sure that there are plenty of other things that apple doesn't trust devs with so they will to cover themselves on their end so they can release it with not testing with the devs.. We'll see i guess

lagmefragme

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Something I really haven't seen much conjecture on is the addition of the shuffle voice tech that announces song titles/playlists/etc and the ear buds with forward/reverse/pause controls for the ipod.... i'd be into integrating that into the iPhone's ipod app.

Stevie No-Wonder

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Possibly they are holding back. But then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they already had future updates half done or nearly complete at the time of the Preview announcement. After all, most major publications are working on their September issues right now, with the others nearly ready for print. I'd suspect Apple is no different in keeping ahead of the game with its products.

Whether any will be released with 3.0, or released later in the fall, is another question.

EKBA

May 28, 2009
Visit site
I think they are definitely holding something back. It would be pretty disappointing for an apple news obsessed consumer (myself) to have nothing new to marvel at.