Can the iphone do that?

kozmokr

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Hey all,
At the moment I'm a quite satisfied WM user, but every now and then i think about conversion. There is no doubt that considering hardware only, the iPhone is amazing, if only for the capacitive touch screen. If the iPhone could run a decent version of WM, I would've bought one a long time ago. But since it doesn't, I've made up a list of things that I'm doing with my WM device, and have no idea if the iPhone is capable of doing. So, I'm here to ask, can the iPhone do those things (please specify if a non-free 3rd party program is required):

1. Free push e-mail, appointments, contacts and tasks from an exchange server or from Google.
2. Internet tethering via WIFI and a USB cable (WIFI tethering alone isn't enough).
3. The ability to have a RSS reader open while surfing. Meaning, I'm reading my news, see something interesting, so I press the link, and the RSS reader stays open or at least comes back easily at the same point I "left" him.
4. Reading PDFs from attachments or downloaded from web pages.
5. Handling attachments. Meaning, being able to receive and send all kinds of attachments including Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photos, Zip/Rar archives, etc...
6. Download from web pages: photos, documents, Archives, etc....
7. Handling Office documents. Being able to at least view (if not edit) all kinds of Office documents, no matter if sent by e-mail, copied from desktop or downloaded from the web.
8. A fring-like program (Messenger, skype, etc..) that is able to stay alive and connected in the background and notify me of new calls/chats.
9. A TV viewing program. Something like SPB TV in WM. Basically a program that will let me view TV channels from around the world via the cellular internet.
10. (probably the least important) A Music ID program. Simply, a program that can identify songs by listening to them.

I know that it's a long list, and I'm aware to the fact that not everything can be done.

Thanks you very much in advance, would appreciate any answer.

Allyson Kazmucha

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
1. Free push e-mail, appointments, contacts and tasks from an exchange server or from Google.

Yes, you can do push through MobileMe or Yahoo, as far as Gmail goes, there is no push for google as of yet. I would plan on that coming soon.
*Note yahoo push IS free, mobileme is NOT free.

2. Internet tethering via WIFI and a USB cable (WIFI tethering alone isn't enough).

There were talks of AT&T allowing tethering on the iPhone. I'm not quite sure what happened to that though, maybe someone else can answer this better.

3. The ability to have a RSS reader open while surfing. Meaning, I'm reading my news, see something interesting, so I press the link, and the RSS reader stays open or at least comes back easily at the same point I "left" him.

The iPhone closes applications on exit, so no (if I'm reading this question correctly).

4. Reading PDFs from attachments or downloaded from web pages.

I've never had a problem opening a PDF from an e-mail attachment. Some of my teachers send PDF files through e-mail and I can preview them just fine.

5. Handling attachments. Meaning, being able to receive and send all kinds of attachments including Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photos, Zip/Rar archives, etc...

You can send and receive those. I read an article that Microsoft office for the iPhone is in the works (the ability to actually edit documents on the fly). Zip/Rar, not exactly sure as I've never had a need to do that.

6. Download from web pages: photos, documents, Archives, etc....

Hmmm, I don't think so?

7. Handling Office documents. Being able to at least view (if not edit) all kinds of Office documents, no matter if sent by e-mail, copied from desktop or downloaded from the web.

This is pretty much the same as your previous question, yes you can view, as of now, no edit I know of.

8. A fring-like program (Messenger, skype, etc..) that is able to stay alive and connected in the background and notify me of new calls/chats.

Fring and skype are both available for free through the iTunes app store, so yes.

9. A TV viewing program. Something like SPB TV in WM. Basically a program that will let me view TV channels from around the world via the cellular internet.
10. (probably the least important) A Music ID program. Simply, a program that can identify songs by listening to them.

As of now, slingplayer. I don't know of any other ones. Music ID would be shazaam, it's free through the app store and works awesome.

Also, keep in mind jailbreaking opens a whole other world of things for the iPhone and unlocks a lot of capabilities a stock iPhone can't do. I don't jailbreak because I have no need, but in the jailbreaking subforum you may find some useful information if you dig.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Your list is very Windows Mobile-centric, so while you could find some work arounds for the iPhone, if you don't want to change the way you use a smartphone, don't consider changing the smartphone platform you use.

I had PalmOS and WinMo devices before. I switched to the iPhone because I didn't or no longer liked the way in which they worked. The iPhone works differently, different strengths and weaknesses (every platform has them), but ** for me ** the iPhone better matches what and how I want to work with a mobile.

If you really want an iPhone, be as willing to change work methodologies as you are platforms :)

kozmokr

Apr 5, 2009
Visit site
Your list is very Windows Mobile-centric, so while you could find some work arounds for the iPhone, if you don't want to change the way you use a smartphone, don't consider changing the smartphone platform you use.

I had PalmOS and WinMo devices before. I switched to the iPhone because I didn't or no longer liked the way in which they worked. The iPhone works differently, different strengths and weaknesses (every platform has them), but ** for me ** the iPhone better matches what and how I want to work with a mobile.

If you really want an iPhone, be as willing to change work methodologies as you are platforms :)

Thanks,
Of course I want to change some work methodologies, otherwise, I wouldn't be here. With that being said, there are things that I'm willing to do differently, but must be able to do in one way or another.
My concerns are that the iPhone isn't capable enough for my needs, and I don't want to get stuck later, wishing I'd never left WM.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
3. There are RSS readers in the app store that do this, you can view the full page in the app without jumping out to Safari. There are some that even format the page for you to fit the iPhone's screen so you don't have to zoom/pinch. Check "Web Feeds" in the app store. Once done with the full page you just hit back and it goes right back to the list of feeds where you left off.

psychrn#IM

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
The next Firmware Version being planned for June should also be an improvement on some of your questions.
Cut and paste for starters. There was some talk on the tethering and apps working in the back ground. But then you have the issue of powern useage and the Iphone certainly is Power hungry. This depends on how you have your Push/Pull settings on email too

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I agree with Rene, that is a very huge list and a majority of them I think would be a pain to work around.

First off... no application (other than the Apple ones) stay open after leaving. Some apps either freeze and save the location (facebook) and most you have to start all over again.

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
This is a stupid attatude from a St>>> person

Handling attachments. Meaning, being able to receive and send all kinds of attachments including Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photos, Zip/Rar archives, etc

DANNCAS

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
This is a stupid attatude from a St>>> person

Handling attachments. Meaning, being able to receive and send all kinds of attachments including Office documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), photos, Zip/Rar archives, etc