View Poll Results: Will there be a 3rd gen iPhone in 2009?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 69.57%
  • No

21 30.43%
    all the signs are pointing to there being a new one..

starting to make me think I better get to saving..
    03-23-2009 10:29 PM
    Hello all. I'm a reconvert to the iPhone. Good to be back,

Didn't Apple say that they plan to sell 40 million iPhones this year? I don't see them doing this without new hardware.
    03-23-2009 10:37 PM
    Well... I've said it before, I don't think it will be this summer, but before Christmas.
    03-23-2009 11:01 PM
    I dont think people will run to their AT&T stores with them charging 599 and 699 for the phones with no commitment. You can find them cheaper on ebay.
    Why would people pay 599 and 699 for no commitment phones when you can get them no commitment at an Apple store for 399 and 499?
    03-24-2009 03:59 PM
    Why would people pay 599 and 699 for no commitment phones when you can get them no commitment at an Apple store for 399 and 499?
    Where did you Apple was selling phones for $399 and $499?
    03-24-2009 04:45 PM
    Where did you Apple was selling phones for $399 and $499?
    At the Apple store...even online, if you aren't eligible for an upgrade with AT&T, Apple will sell you an iPhone for 399 or 499 instead of the subsidized prices of 199 and 299.
    03-24-2009 04:55 PM
    one thing that everyone is missing is the simple business cycle of cell phones/ smart phones / handheld. The turnover rate is 6 months. it has some of the shortest turnover rates of any technology. Every company is out there designing the next big thing, and one of the reasons apple has been so successful is that they are they are the first movers, or innovators. They will lose too much becoming a follower, even by a few months. The iphone has and will remain the innovative product for the company. They cant afford to let another company release any features that would make the iphone look like a follower--- we're gonna see a new iphone, even if its very basic hardware upgrades (camera, 32gig)

Im really hoping to see a crazy upgrade, so i can play higher quality games.
    03-26-2009 01:46 AM
    They cant afford to let another company release any features that would make the iphone look like a follower
    While this is true, I believe the whole idea is that iPhone is about the software and with the same hardware even the first gen iPhone is a whole lot better than it was when it first came out, for free. So basically instead of having to buy a new phone every year, you get a lot of new features for free.
    03-26-2009 01:49 AM
    Don't know if the rest of you have seen this yet?
    AT&T: New iPhone will be hot, son : Boy Genius Report
    It remains to be seen what exactly is meant by some of the statements, but to me it sounds like new hardware in our future.
    03-26-2009 02:50 AM
    Are you serious? Of course there will be another one this year. And in the same month at that. July. And there will be all the hype throughout June which is when it will be announced. That just makes perfect business sense. lol...but seriously.
    03-28-2009 02:02 AM
    At the Apple store...even online, if you aren't eligible for an upgrade with AT&T, Apple will sell you an iPhone for 399 or 499 instead of the subsidized prices of 199 and 299.
    $199/$299 are for those that are eligible or had iPhone 2g prior to the iPhone 3g release. Requires a 2yr contract.

$399/$499 are for those that are not eligible for an upgrade and would like to upgrade early. Requires a 2yr contract.

$599/$699 are for those who want the device, but do not want a contract.
    03-29-2009 12:02 AM
    Updated software in June. New hardware i.e. better camera, battery etc in time for Christmas. That gives Apple two bites of the cherry
    03-29-2009 12:15 PM
    17" MacBook Pro style new battery?

AutoScaling for a 480x600 screen would be amazing if Apple could nail it. Allow an iPhone HD without splitting the platform. But if they can't nail it, might just make scaled app UI elements look like @$$
    03-29-2009 01:02 PM
    Why would that give them two bites of the cherry? The software upgrade is supposed to be free or iPhone users and $9.99 for those of us who have a Touch.
    03-29-2009 10:21 PM
    17" MacBook Pro style new battery?
    That's what I'm thinking.
    03-29-2009 11:19 PM
    Why would that give them two bites of the cherry?
    I was referring to marketing opportunities..
    03-30-2009 04:27 AM
    Updated software in June. New hardware i.e. better camera, battery etc in time for Christmas. That gives Apple two bites of the cherry
    Wrong. The usual will occur, as your assessment doesn't make Apple any money, as it is free, or near free for iTouch users, which I'm leaning towards getting more and more.

Quick OT: What's the difference between 2.2 and 2.2.1, except that I am (currently) prevented from unlocking it??

Thanks!
    03-30-2009 07:55 AM
    Just because it's free doesn't mean it's not a good sales point - as promoted in Apple's last presentation.
    03-30-2009 08:53 AM
    Sales point for existing iPhone 3G's? Maybe. Nowhere NEAR a new iteration of the iPhone. You'll agree with me in early-to-mid July.

And the hype will be created in early June. I don't like Apple very much, but I respect anybody who makes $$$.
    03-30-2009 01:44 PM
    The only new thing I want is an iPhone that can be used as a phone! It's too quiet. The speakerphone scks. There is no decent car or home speakerphone/handsfree unit that is good.

I love the iPhone as a gadget, but I need a second phone for talking. (back to the old Motorola V330 which I attach to the Moto syn0614A)

I wish there were a way to clone the SIM card so I could carry my iPhone but talk on a different one.
    04-03-2009 09:52 AM
    @phineasboggs The iPhone is much louder than my old SLVR so it's strange to me to hear someone complain about this. I did hear the 1st gen iPhone was quiet, but this has been improved in the 3G (which I have).

You can get any 3rd party headset for the iPhone that you would get for any other phone so not sure how you can say there is not good handsfree units?
    04-03-2009 09:55 AM
    The only new thing I want is an iPhone that can be used as a phone! It's too quiet. The speakerphone scks. There is no decent car or home speakerphone/handsfree unit that is good.

I love the iPhone as a gadget, but I need a second phone for talking. (back to the old Motorola V330 which I attach to the Moto syn0614A)

I wish there were a way to clone the SIM card so I could carry my iPhone but talk on a different one.
    Really? I find mind to be crystal clear super crisp voice quality, and it never has dropped a call yet, which I can't say about my BlackBerry Bold.

And quiet? You might want to check at a local store to see if it's your particular unit?

One thing the iPhone is no match for the BlackBerry is its Bluetooth integration. But when all other BT connections are turned off, it works just fine.
    04-04-2009 03:04 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD