Here's a weird one. When I turn my iPhone off, I lose about half my apps when I restart. Of course, they're the ones I care about, like Facebook and Slacker. Anyway, when I sync to my PC I "select all" and try to reinstall them. After the sync hey are still gone. I have to uncheck every app in iTunes, hit select all, answer "yes" to the prompt warning me that I am about to remove 20 Apps (in reality I only see 10 on the phone) and re-download. Two restores didn't help. Basically, the phone is telling me that my apps are already installed when I can't see them. They're like ghosts!

Oh yeah, I was JB'en, had the app for different folders, and then restored and un-JB'ed. Maybe that has something to do with it?
    03-05-2009 03:59 PM
    Restore as new - not from a backup. Only thing that is going to solve your problem.
    03-11-2009 11:21 AM
    Correct. That's what they told me at the Apple store. Worked fine.
    03-13-2009 03:15 PM
    Actually for future reference there is an easier way if you have previously had apps in categories. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > On. You will be asked to select a password and then to confirm it. You can then immediately turn restrictions back off again. You will find that all of your hidden icons will reappear. I have had to do this twice now. Another useful tip to avoid that is to uncategorize all of your apps before you do any kind of OS change through itunes, that way they will not be hidden when you restore.
    03-18-2009 06:39 PM
    Actually for future reference there is an easier way if you have previously had apps in categories. Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > On. You will be asked to select a password and then to confirm it. You can then immediately turn restrictions back off again. You will find that all of your hidden icons will reappear. I have had to do this twice now. Another useful tip to avoid that is to uncategorize all of your apps before you do any kind of OS change through itunes, that way they will not be hidden when you restore.
    I'll have to give this a try. Nice post!
    03-18-2009 07:25 PM
    worked for me. thanks!!
    04-22-2009 01:08 PM
    The other way to resolve this issue (if one is using SBsettings) is to look up the function that allows one to hide apps. Those missing apps are probably "hidden". Checking the box next to the hidden app makes it visible again. I encountered this issue after using Categories and upgrading w/o undoing the Categories app.
    Mark
    04-26-2009 08:57 AM
    Great Post
    09-22-2009 11:10 PM
    Just curious, as this has not happenned to me. What happens when you do a spotlight search for a "ghosted" app?
    09-23-2009 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD