View Poll Results: 2.2 Firmware Successful?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - very happy...

24 82.76%
  • No - the iPhone should be better...

5 17.24%
    Simple question, do you think the 2.2 firmware is a success? Now I know what some of you will say... "I want MMS and Copy and Paste!". I know that already, so lets put that stuff aside. Are you happy with the stability and improvements in the 2.2 firmware? I'm happy for the stability improvements alone! How about you?
    Last edited by Jeremy Sikora; 11-26-2008 at 09:51 AM.
    11-25-2008 01:54 PM
    I vote it a success. The stability, the speed, and the battery life management make it worth it for me. That's not even including the Google Maps Street View and Transit/Walking directions features!
    11-25-2008 01:58 PM
    I vote it a success. The stability, the speed, and the battery life management make it worth it for me. That's not even including the Google Maps Street View and Transit/Walking directions features!
    Even if no other features were added to this firmware I'd still be happy. Stability is priceless...
    11-25-2008 02:16 PM
    Even if no other features were added to this firmware I'd still be happy. Stability is priceless...
    AMEN to that!
    11-25-2008 02:18 PM
    AMEN to that!
    I concur with you guys. The stability was an issue for me but the google maps is a true enhancement. Ironically I got into it with a light rain...i mean storm user this afternoon...he went tit for tat with me until i showed him his house...on my phone via google.
    11-25-2008 03:18 PM
    the person who said they were not happy with it. care to share why?
    11-25-2008 03:25 PM
    I voted 2.2 a success. Bug fixes are always welcomed by me. Every update can't be expected to be a major technological breakthrough.
    11-25-2008 04:31 PM
    I vote for success.
    11-25-2008 04:43 PM
    Of course! Anything that makes the phone/software better has to be success right? Of course there are still some big features missing but all in good time my brothers and sisters...all in good time!
    11-25-2008 04:53 PM
    I forgot to mention: I like how they added the Google search box up at the top by the URL bar. So simple yet so clever.
    Last edited by Tunnelrunner; 11-25-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    11-25-2008 08:01 PM
    Definitely, to be able to drive under Battery Park in NYC and not drop the call anymore is a major improvement.
    11-25-2008 10:11 PM
    I forgot to mention: I like how they added the Google search box up at the top by the URL bar. So simple yet so clever.
    It was always there as a magnifying glass in the top left, but for me as I'm sure many others, I never really noticed it and I believe that is why they moved it over to a big box.

Here's a good article on this Daring Fireball: Treating URL Protocol Schemes as Cruft
    11-26-2008 12:30 AM
    I'm not happy with it...I can't delete emails no more...
    11-26-2008 12:53 AM
    I was happy with the new features - but last night while I was out and about, shopping,etc., the phone crashed 4 times in succession. By crash, I mean it went to the apple logo screen, and rebooted. At one point, it even gave me the screen that tells me to plug into iTunes, as if it had never been activated. I don't know if that was a 2.2 stability issue, but it freaked me out!
    11-26-2008 09:29 AM
    For the last two posters, I'd say those are not issues with the firmware itself so don't be so quick to blame the firmware. Sounds like bad installs or just another issue you may be having totally unrelated to the firmware.
    11-26-2008 09:45 AM
    Im happy with it, I have no issues with my phone at the moment.
    11-26-2008 09:47 AM
    the person who said they were not happy with it. care to share why?
    Although I am happy with the increased stability, since the phone has yet to crash since the update, I am just dissapointed in the lack of new features. There a glaring features that are missing, and have been promised... so where are they?? Street view?? really what purpose does this have?? Sure it is cool, but unless you are in one of the cities that it actually works in who cares...

The Podcast downloads is nice, but why limit the size you can download of the cell network or a way to subcribe to them so they automatically download?? I think this may have been a carrier imposed item to limit the stress on the networks.

Better quality voicemail?? Voicemail quality is not a important to me... as long as I can understand the person that is all I need. It is not like I am listening to music via voice mail.
    11-26-2008 09:49 AM
    I'm happy with the update. I've noticed an increase in overall stability which is nice. As for the lack of some features that people have been complaining about, give it time. It'll happen sooner or later. So yes...I'm gonna say that this update was a success!
    11-26-2008 10:07 AM
    It appears the Fetch issues that plagued 2.1 have been resolved. I am satisfied now!!!
    11-26-2008 11:34 AM
    It seems to me that the focus of this update was pure stability and minor usability tweaks (podcast downloads, search box, etc). I'm sure Apple didn't have as much to do with street view as google did, it probably wasn't hard getting that one in there on Apple's part. When you consider how fast this update came out compared to past updates it makes sense that this was mostly just a bug fix. Stability needed to be improved before some of the new features came out. Can you imagine the push service coming out with all the crashing the apps have been doing?

The app store looks great now too, btw. It came out just late enough to weed out the frustrated crapp-to-make-quick-buck developers who couldn't keep their apps in the top 50. Even the top 50 in each category are pretty decent now, can you imagine the amount of crapps we'd have if they always had that feature?
    11-26-2008 02:01 PM
    It's seems to be what they said 2.1 would be. But since the upgrade came so quickly after 2.1 I'm inclined to let them off.

Now at last it feels loke the iphone 3G is a quality OS device.

Gordon
    11-26-2008 05:22 PM
    I was really disappointed with the autonomy of the iPhone when I got it two weeks ago. But the update to 2.2 have dramatically changed the situation : the autonomy is quite nice now! So I am happy with this update.
    11-26-2008 05:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD