Is the 2.2 Firmware a Success?

2.2 Firmware Successful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Simple question, do you think the 2.2 firmware is a success? Now I know what some of you will say... "I want MMS and Copy and Paste!". I know that already, so lets put that stuff aside. Are you happy with the stability and improvements in the 2.2 firmware? I'm happy for the stability improvements alone! How about you?

Last edited:

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
I vote it a success. The stability, the speed, and the battery life management make it worth it for me. That's not even including the Google Maps Street View and Transit/Walking directions features!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I vote it a success. The stability, the speed, and the battery life management make it worth it for me. That's not even including the Google Maps Street View and Transit/Walking directions features!

Even if no other features were added to this firmware I'd still be happy. Stability is priceless... :)

EmEuS

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
AMEN to that!

I concur with you guys. The stability was an issue for me but the google maps is a true enhancement. Ironically I got into it with a light rain...i mean storm user this afternoon...he went tit for tat with me until i showed him his house...on my phone via google.:p

MrP

Aug 3, 2008
Visit site
Of course! Anything that makes the phone/software better has to be success right? Of course there are still some big features missing but all in good time my brothers and sisters...all in good time!

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I forgot to mention: I like how they added the Google search box up at the top by the URL bar. So simple yet so clever.

Last edited:

Wyatt

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Definitely, to be able to drive under Battery Park in NYC and not drop the call anymore is a major improvement.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com

jonnymay

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Crashed 4 times last night

I was happy with the new features - but last night while I was out and about, shopping,etc., the phone crashed 4 times in succession. By crash, I mean it went to the apple logo screen, and rebooted. At one point, it even gave me the screen that tells me to plug into iTunes, as if it had never been activated. I don't know if that was a 2.2 stability issue, but it freaked me out!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
For the last two posters, I'd say those are not issues with the firmware itself so don't be so quick to blame the firmware. Sounds like bad installs or just another issue you may be having totally unrelated to the firmware.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
the person who said they were not happy with it. care to share why?
Although I am happy with the increased stability, since the phone has yet to crash since the update, I am just dissapointed in the lack of new features. There a glaring features that are missing, and have been promised... so where are they?? Street view?? really what purpose does this have?? Sure it is cool, but unless you are in one of the cities that it actually works in who cares...

The Podcast downloads is nice, but why limit the size you can download of the cell network or a way to subcribe to them so they automatically download?? I think this may have been a carrier imposed item to limit the stress on the networks.

Better quality voicemail?? Voicemail quality is not a important to me... as long as I can understand the person that is all I need. It is not like I am listening to music via voice mail.

CHiRS

Sep 24, 2008
chrislae.posterous.com
I'm happy with the update. I've noticed an increase in overall stability which is nice. As for the lack of some features that people have been complaining about, give it time. It'll happen sooner or later. So yes...I'm gonna say that this update was a success! :)

Mike M

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
It seems to me that the focus of this update was pure stability and minor usability tweaks (podcast downloads, search box, etc). I'm sure Apple didn't have as much to do with street view as google did, it probably wasn't hard getting that one in there on Apple's part. When you consider how fast this update came out compared to past updates it makes sense that this was mostly just a bug fix. Stability needed to be improved before some of the new features came out. Can you imagine the push service coming out with all the crashing the apps have been doing?

The app store looks great now too, btw. It came out just late enough to weed out the frustrated crapp-to-make-quick-buck developers who couldn't keep their apps in the top 50. Even the top 50 in each category are pretty decent now, can you imagine the amount of crapps we'd have if they always had that feature?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77