What do you want to see in firmware 2.2?

What feature would you like to see MOST in 2.2?

• MMS

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Copy and paste

Votes: 32 29.1%
  • Turn by turn directions in GPS

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Push notifications

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Landscape mode for email/sms

Votes: 18 16.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Wow, the poll is pretty much even across the board. Interesting. Remember if anyone wants something added just let me know here.

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Wireless syncing with iTunes would be great - no more digging out all those wires. I can sync Splash Shopper wirelessly so it would be great to have that option with iTunes.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
It came down to copy and paste and turn by turn GPS.

The latter is a luxury and the former is an absolute necessity (especially if the iphone ever wants to challenge RIM and WM in the corporate world).

I had to go with copy and paste but I wish we would have had all those features in the first place. :cool:

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
It came down to copy and paste and turn by turn GPS.

The latter is a luxury and the former is an absolute necessity (especially if the iphone ever wants to challenge RIM and WM in the corporate world).

I had to go with copy and paste but I wish we would have had all those features in the first place. :cool:

I'd agree with you about that. I rarely use maps to find my way around as I've got sat nav but the lack of copy/paste is annoying particularly as I can't remember things very well and if I've not got pen and paper to hand I have to wait until I get to my laptop.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
You know, wireless sync for info (calendar, contacts, etc) would really be good. I didn't think about that. I don't think I'd want to sync apps and everything that way, but it would be good if you could say, set your phone to sync over bluetooth every so often and it could just lay next to your computer and stay up-to-date... hmm.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You know, wireless sync for info (calendar, contacts, etc) would really be good. I didn't think about that. I don't think I'd want to sync apps and everything that way, but it would be good if you could say, set your phone to sync over bluetooth every so often and it could just lay next to your computer and stay up-to-date... hmm.

Apple is one step ahead of you... it's called MobileMe. :D

Exactly what it does... well minus the BT part.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
Yeah. Except it's also a hundred bucks, and I'd rather keep my info local for now, and not in the "cloud". The wonder of MobileMe didn't exactly leave me with a huge amount of confidence, and I like to run everything off of my own server, but don't feel like setting up Exchange, either. I'm fine with docking my phone at my desk, and syncing that way, but at work, where I don't have a dock, if I add items to my calendar, it would be awesome to just have it go back and forth on my desk without a wire.

But in light of the fact that MobileMe exists, I suppose I'll never see such an option. :)

Dalekkiller

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm using SugarSync as an alternative to MobileMe - it's free for the first 45 days and then the cost is related to the volume of data. At the moment, it doesn't sync Outlook data but it is supposed to be very high on their to-do list. I can't remember the exact prices but I'm sure it's cheaper than MobileMe and will be fantastic once they've added Outlook syncing.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
You know, I was a beta tester for SugarSync, and while it's very cool, it didn't really do it for me ultimately, which is why I never got around to subscribing. It is a great service, though, no doubt. Again, though, you're still communicating with a remote server for your info, and I like to have a tighter control on that kind of stuff.

At some point, I'll probably just give up and implement a local solution on our server, or just say the heck with it, and get MobileMe now that the hiccups seem to be worked out for the most part. ;)

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
You know, I was a beta tester for SugarSync, and while it's very cool, it didn't really do it for me ultimately, which is why I never got around to subscribing. It is a great service, though, no doubt. Again, though, you're still communicating with a remote server for your info, and I like to have a tighter control on that kind of stuff.

At some point, I'll probably just give up and implement a local solution on our server, or just say the heck with it, and get MobileMe now that the hiccups seem to be worked out for the most part. ;)

It would be weird to me to have to actually sync all of my info now... I totally got spoiled... It is nice.

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
I imagine it is pretty nice. But I still can't justify 100 beans for addresses and contact syncing... All my mail syncs directly with the IMAP server already... and I wouldn't use the photo services or anything. Regardless, I apologize for derailing the thread. :(

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I imagine it is pretty nice. But I still can't justify 100 beans for addresses and contact syncing... All my mail syncs directly with the IMAP server already... and I wouldn't use the photo services or anything. Regardless, I apologize for derailing the thread. :(

Completely cool, no need for apologies. I thought the same way before I bought MobileMe... but the syncing of everything from contacts to my safari bookmarks all to my Mac... is worth the price.

Fudge Grinder

Sep 28, 2008
Visit site
1. Divx support
2. Voice recording in mp3.
3. Internet Radio
4. FM Radio
5. Dim screen within movie player.
6. Option to lock all but top of movie player screen so not affected by accidental touch.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Realistically:
turn by turn + accurate gps
push notification

Unrealistically:
MMS
Copy -n- Paste
Bentley GT (had to try)

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Also another feature that may never happen is that ability to lock certain parts of the phone...

For example... pictures, text messages, email. I don't want it where it's either all or none. I want to be able to have pics and sms locked and email open or open and text locked and pics open.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I'm hoping for Push, that's the one thing I'd get the most use out of. MMS would be good for the few times I've wanted it but I can do without it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2