What would you like to see in the watch software Apple will introduce Monday?

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The big WWDC reveal is Monday, 12noon CST.

What new features or improvements would you like to see for Apple Watch?

I'll start. I hope Apple will continue to add control of watch functions via Siri (via Airpods). I'm out pounding the pavement for about 90 minutes every morning and being able to control the Workout app and, to a lesser extent, book apps (e.g., Audible) is really handy.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Automatic Content Handoff from Phone to Watch, and vice versa.

The scenario
When I work, I have to sometimes leave my desk. When I have content playing in my AirPods and I'm getting out of reach from my iPhone, I want it to handoff the playing content and AirPods to my Watch.

For bonus points, content streaming over WiFi from my iPhone to my AirPods over the Watch (if on the same wireless network).

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have an ongoing list. Some of the items have been crossed off in the past, but some of these have been on the list for a while.

• an option to get rid of the countdown in workouts
  • messages in iCloud, so sync of message deletions, etc., with other devices on the Apple ID
  • better watch faces, if not a FaceKit to allow third parties to make watch faces
  • an option to allow notification sounds/vibrations/alerts to go to the watch, the phone, or both, on an app-by-app basis
  • the ability to sync with an iPad in addition to a phone
  • the ability to see Health aggregated data on the watch
  • Support for intervals (time and/or distance based) in the running, biking, swimming workouts
  • Custom ringtones and notification tones
  • Small heart complication that shows the last recorded heart rate instead of just a heart with no data
  • Seconds display in more of the digital watch faces
  • Customizable activity rings (e.g., turn off stand, move, or exercise if you don't care about one of them; add the ability to track total standing minutes rather than hours in which you stood and moved 1 minute; step count ring for people who want that; mindfulness ring for people who want that; etc.)
  • Support for easy days, rest days, illness, and injury in the activity app move ring

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I love the idea of easy days for the activity rings.

I would love the ability to request a different activity challenge, especially if I know I’m going to be traveling or busy with family activities that might make it potentially impossible to complete the challenge.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I love the idea of easy days for the activity rings.

I would love the ability to request a different activity challenge, especially if I know I’m going to be traveling or busy with family activities that might make it potentially impossible to complete the challenge.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site

That's a great idea! I wouldn't mind that, either.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
If you watched the keynote or perused iMore's Watch OS9 FAQ, what do you think?

My initial impression was that the watch software team took the year off. To be fair, I guess it's more accurate to say there just aren't changes I care about. I'll probably use the medications app and at least try the upgraded Sleep app. I won't use any of the new faces, nor the new workout stats, nor the heart stuff. I sure didn't see any of the terrific ideas that were listed here. Heck if we just got a few of the items doogald listed, I'd be thrilled.

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I just watched the watchOS portion of the keynote, and I'm interested in the heart and sleep features.
The new calendar app also might be useful for me - to be seen. :)

Last edited:

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
-FindMy includes “left behind” for the Watch. Watch will alert me when other Apple devices and AirTags are left behind. But iPhone doesn’t alert me when I leave and the Watch is still on the charger.
-Sense and Sync now playing to the device I’m using. If I’m watching AppleTV then Watch is aware with now playing showing the AppleTV content it cuts down on “Ugh where’s the Siri remote” as well as the ultra lazy mode-just tap watch to switch shows or apps (some can be done by Siri). Of course the H1 (or is it W1) in the Siri remote would have been nice :).
-IF they could make it accurate (versus a gimmick on others), a weight training rep counter using the gyro. Can’t even say how awesome “rep 10 complete” would be. Even better, “rep 10 complete, auto starting 90 second countdown to begin next set”.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I got these crossed off my list:

• better watch faces, if not a FaceKit to allow third parties to make watch faces
  • Support for intervals (time and/or distance based) in the running, biking, swimming workouts

Not sure yet about these:

• an option to get rid of the countdown in workouts
  • messages in iCloud, so sync of message deletions, etc., with other devices on the Apple ID
  • an option to allow notification sounds/vibrations/alerts to go to the watch, the phone, or both, on an app-by-app basis
  • the ability to see Health aggregated data on the watch
  • Custom ringtones and notification tones
  • Small heart complication that shows the last recorded heart rate instead of just a heart with no data
  • Seconds display in more of the digital watch faces

Another thing to remember is that when they introduce the new watches in September, they often introduce a new feature or two to go along with the new hardware features. So I don't think we've heard the last of watchOS 9 additions just yet.

I only take one medication, but I know that will be a great feature. Fitness rings for iPhone users is probably a good feature and may catch those few extra move Calories that I miss when I am charging my watch in the morning after my workout and then an hour before bed. Sleep improvements look good as well. Thank you, Apple, for intervals - I use a separate interval timer now, so now I can do it right on the watch. (Yes, I know about apps like Intervals Pro, but I prefer the stock workouts app for its AOD support). Running power: I love that. The other advanced running stats: they would have been more important to me ten years ago, not so much now.

I do like the one new watch face (Metropolitan - it looks nicer than Meridian to me), plus the support for background colors on others. Astronomy looks ok, but I think one complication isn't enough for me most of the time.